Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Josmil Pinto Heading to Minnesota

josmil pinto red wings twins
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Fee

Christopher Fee

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

I was excited to hear from Red Wings Manager Gene Glynn that Josmil Pinto is joining the Minnesota Twins on Sunday after the rosters expand to 40 players. Pinto hit .308 between New Britain & Rochester this year with 15 home runs and 74 RBI's... he also hit 30 doubles, walked 66 times vs. 83 strikeouts.

I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the Twins system, but while he'll probably start 2014 with Rochester, I'm excited to see what he can do the last month of the season.

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

That is very good news and he certainly deserves it.

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Agreed. Pinto and Hermann make Doumit expendable. It's too bad he didn't have a very good year. At least his contract is palatable.

#4 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

I am excited to see Pinto play. I haven't heard a lot of good things about his catching, so it will be interested to see him on TV.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

I was excited to hear from Red Wings Manager Gene Glynn that Josmil Pinto is joining the Minnesota Twins on Sunday after the rosters expand to 40 players. Pinto hit .308 between New Britain & Rochester this year with 15 home runs and 74 RBI's... he also hit 30 doubles, walked 66 times vs. 83 strikeouts.

I think he's one of the most underrated prospects in the Twins system, but while he'll probably start 2014 with Rochester, I'm excited to see what he can do the last month of the season.

So the Red Wings making the playoffs isn't a top priority after all?

#6 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

There's a DH/3B on New Britain's team that might be able to help fill the void

#7 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

There's a DH/3B on New Britain's team that might be able to help fill the void

Since New Britain won't make the playoffs, why not send Sano to Rochester?

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

The Red Wings have lost eight of their last ten, so they're making it tough to believe that they can make it. Somehow, Norfolk hasn't taken advantage and are still just a 1/2 game ahead of the Red Wings.

#9 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'm excited to see Pinto play. It would be a very helpful development if the Twins could count on him as a MLB caliber catcher by sometime next year. That would open up some options.

#10 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Since New Britain won't make the playoffs, why not send Sano to Rochester?

I think the company line is they don't want to mess with the Red Wings Chemistry.

#11 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

I think the company line is they don't want to mess with the Red Wings Chemistry.

Given their recent nosedive - going from 3 games up in the division to a half-game back in the wild card - maybe the chemistry needs messing with.

It's been frustrating to watch them squander good starts with lousy bullpen work.

#12 TwinsThompson

TwinsThompson

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

I'm excited to see Pinto play. It would be a very helpful development if the Twins could count on him as a MLB caliber catcher by sometime next year. That would open up some options.

I agree wholeheartedly. If Pinto looks the part this September he could be a nice insurance policy for Mauer. It looks like we will need one, considering the concussion symptoms that Mauer is experiencing and the possibility of him spending less time behind the plate in future years.

#13 TwinsThompson

TwinsThompson

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

This is a good point. Perhaps they could use a bullpen arm from NB for the stretch run. Dakota Watts? I guess there aren't all that many options.

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,377 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Great (and deserved) news for Pinto. I'm sure there is more work for him to do, both offensively and defensively, but he has made huge strides in the past two years. He's still pretty young and has some power. Unless Doumit is traded this offseason, I would guess he'll start next year in Rochester, but especially for a catcher, I think the experience in September will be valuable.

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,377 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

BTW, is this an indication that Mauer won't be doing much, if any, catching for the balance of the year? Almost all teams bring up a third catcher when rosters expand, so if Mauer is out of the question behind the plate, the Twins are only adding a third catcher.

#16 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Pinto needs to be the main catcher with Herrmann starting twice a week against right handed pitching in September.

#17 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Good for Pinto. I like this kid.

#18 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Agreed. Pinto and Hermann make Doumit expendable. It's too bad he didn't have a very good year. At least his contract is palatable.

They won't do it, but they should just move Mauer to 1B and platoon Pinto and Doumit at C next year (with Hermann still getting starts here and there.)

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I might have something to finally watch in the Twins game-catcher Josmil Pinto is being called up. (it was reported somewhere on Twitter)
After tearing up AA and did even better batting average wise in AAA. He looks like the next Doumit-actually probably better. What do you guys think? Will he be an installment in the lineup for years to come?

#20 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,516 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

What do you guys think?

I think you're late to the party, we already got hammered in celebration.

:th_alc:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: josmil pinto, red wings, twins