Jump to content

Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Would A Johan Santana Reunion Make Sense?

  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

    Twins Contributor

  • Twins Writers
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...nion-make-sense

#2 Otwins

Otwins

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

I would love to see it but think it is unlikely. He probably wants to pitch for a contender although there is not one where he would be assured of a roster spot. The only way I see it is if he thinks that that the Twins will leave him in the rotation even after a couple rough starts (like pelfrey)and not have to be ready by opening day(like harden). The Twins do know how to use him and took much better care of Santana than the Mets.

#3 iastfan112

iastfan112

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'd be fine with him returning but I'm pretty skeptical he'll successfully come back, the track record for this surgery is short and bad and he's had to have it done twice.

#4 cmathewson

cmathewson

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

No pitcher has ever recovered from two of these on the same shoulder.

#5 Blackjack

Blackjack

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

No. I loved listening to the Twins when Johan pitched, I don't want to listen as a shell of the old Johan struggles, I want to remember him as he was.

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

    Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

  • Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

I dunno, I would think it might be more likely than some other options. I don't think he burned any bridges with the FO when he left, though he certainly limited their options in terms of who he'd accept a trade to. But that's just business. He had leverage and used it.

Last I knew, he still had his home in Fort Myers, making the Twins, Red Sox and maybe the Rays as teams he might lean toward going to spring training with. Of those teams, the Twins would seem to have more room for a reclamation project in their 2014 rotation. It would need to be on an incentive-heavy contract, perhaps with an agreement to allow Santana to walk away if he's not on the active roster by June.

If he did make the roster, his name would generate some buzz and sell a few tickets/jerseys.

Certainly wouldn't be the worst move either side could make this winter.

#7 SpitefulRabbit617

SpitefulRabbit617

    Member

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Bring him Back. Based on the majority of seasons since he left, its not like we can do any worse.

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

    Owner

  • Administrators
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

No reason not to give it a shot, really. But sadly I think Santana is toast.

#9 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

No reason not to give it a shot, really. But sadly I think Santana is toast.


I think you are probably right that you can stick a fork in him--Johan is done--I figure a 90% chance of that. But resign him on the 10% chance he isn't done.

#10 Rosterman

Rosterman

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

The Twins can afford to give him a decent contract for little results. Putting him on the field for just a game or two will sell tickets (which is important to the team). You will sell Jerseys. Maybe he will shine. He can't be any worse than any number of other folks out there. I don't really see anyone else risking a 40-man sot on him or a guaranteed rotation spot. The Twins have that luxury. A Santana signing in January would generate quite a few season ticket sales. Even if he doesn't ever pitch for the team during the season, the p.r. value might be worth it alone. Heck, Blackburn got paid $5 million to throw a dozen minor league innings this year!

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

    26th Man

  • Twins Mods
  • 12,964 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Old saying applies here: It is not possible to step in the same river twice. I am beyond apathetic about the idea. He's no longer Johan Santana and these are not the same Twins and I don't see the point.

#12 cmathewson

cmathewson

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Harden and Perez are cautionary, and they had the surgery once. Twice is twice too many. The surgery is for helping you comb your hair without pain. It's not for getting you back on the mound. If you know he's toast, why do anything to bring him back, unless it's just so he can retire a Twin.

#13 SpitefulRabbit617

SpitefulRabbit617

    Member

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Tony O and Johan team up for spanish language twins broadcast! BOOM!

#14 Jdosen

Jdosen

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

The child in me that remembers Johan as the best pitcher on the planet for 4 years wants this to happen in the worst way. I wouldn't miss a Santana start. But, those days are gone.

#15 DaveW

DaveW

    Bullies never win

  • Members
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

1 year, 1 mil contract with 5 mil in incentives.

#16 JeffB

JeffB

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

We all know that if the Twins bring him back, he'll fizzle and we'll be disappointed. If he signs elsewhere, he'll do great and we'll be disappointed. Sigh. :banghead:

#17 PopRiveter

PopRiveter

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

My heart says, "yes!" I don't put anything beyond Johan. I'd enjoy a Santana comeback attempt more than the Pelfrey/Harden/Zumaya attempts.
...or, a Scott Baker reunion could make even more sense.
Heck, get the band back together!

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

1 year, 1 mil contract with 5 mil in incentives.


I don't think you throw your money away by giving him any guaranteed money. It's a long shot that he'll ever pitch in the big leagues again. If you really wan't to take a chance, do a minor league deal with an opt out date, a la Harden.

#19 drjim

drjim

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

My heart says, "yes!" I don't put anything beyond Johan. I'd enjoy a Santana comeback attempt more than the Pelfrey/Harden/Zumaya attempts.
...or, a Scott Baker reunion could make even more sense.
Heck, get the band back together!


Baker is a decent possibility. I would be on board if they sign at least one established guy.

#20 LaBombo

LaBombo

    3 TD warning points and the death sentence in 12 systems.

  • Members
  • 5,943 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Even if the odds are closer to one in a hundred than one in ten, can a team with the worst rotation in baseball really afford to rule much of anything out? At this point they're just looking for guys who can get the ball from the mound to home plate.