Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Miguel Sulbaran

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Acquired for Drew Butera, the Twins appear to have a steal in this trade for a 19 yr old LHP. Here is his MiLB page: http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=606246
I have not found much of a scouting report on him yet but will add that when it is found... Feel free to post one if YOU find one.

Edited by goulik, 13 August 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

Mayo has one up on MLB.com. I'm not sure it has really be updated since the beginning of the season though.

Scouting Grades* (present/future): FB: 5/6 | Curve: 4/5 | Slider: 3/5 | Changeup: 3/4 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 4/5
A native of Venezuela, Sulbaran made his American debut in 2012. He pitched at three levels, reaching Class A Great Lakes for a pair of starts. He didn't pitch well there, but he's found much more success in his return in 2013, and, at 19 years old, he remains one of the younger starters in the league. Sulbaran has a good feel for his low-90s fastball and can add and subtract velocity from it as needed. His curveball is his best offspeed pitch and both his slider and changeup show promise. The Dodgers see Sulbaran, who gets a Wandy Rodriguez comp, as a starter, but his stuff could also make him a dominant left-handed reliever.

P.S. - Mods I know you frown upon full copy and paste but I'm worried that when Mr. Sulbaran gets moved to the Twins page he will not be in the top 20 prospects and thus we would lose all of this information. If this is not a good enough reason feel free to adjust as you see fit.

#3 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Johns Sickels has his comments up on the trade....calling him an interesting, but not an outstanding prospect.

He has a chance to make it as a fourth or fifth starter, and failing that he has enough arm strength and command to fit in a bullpen.

#4 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for the input guys!! So we traded a defensive catcher who spent most of the year in AAA for a single A guy with back of the rotation stuff who is still just 19. This is a good deal for us. Even if he doesn't pan out, I think the Twins FO has exceeded expectations. Good job TR and company.

Edited by goulik, 14 August 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#5 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Great return for Butera. Supposedly Sulbaran is in the low-90s with his FB and spent almost all of last season in the Arizona League (which I think is similar to the GCL), which makes his numbers in the MWL that much more impressive. He's just 5'10", which will hurt his upside in the eyes of most scouts, but he's posted a better K/BB this year than Berrios in about the same amount of IP (3.15:2.2.71). Check out Sulbaran's line since the start of June:
12GS 59IP 1.83 ERA 1.03WHIP 52K 11BB 7.9K/9 4.7K/BB

The one area of concern is that Sulbaran has allowed just 3HR despite having a GB/FB ratio under 1. Expect some regression in that respect going forward.

Now I'm very excited to see who the PTBNL is in the Carroll trade.

#6 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Great write up on the trade from Puckets Pond Unexpected Return: Miguel Sulbaran Traded to the Minnesota Twins - Puckett's Pond - A Minnesota Twins Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

#7 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Boone, great info.

Not expecting much for Carroll but after this one, who knows?

#8 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Not a great Twins/Kernels debut as he gave up 5 runs (4earned) in 4 innings. Overall ERA still at 3.26. Just a bad night....

#9 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Sulbaran's night was better than his line would make it appear. Some of those runs came across after he should have been out of the 3rd inning. A high pop fly behind 1st base dropped for a "double" when Polanco misjudged it and Walker was just a hair late with his sliding attempt to rescue the situation. Would have been the 3rd out, but instead a run scored and then the next guy had a legit double that drove in another run.

Both Jake Mauer and Gary Lucas said after the game that they liked what they saw of the 19-year old and they think he'll be fine now that he's gotten the first game with a new team jitters out of the way.

Personally, I liked his breaking ball. He was able to throw it for strikes and I liked that he would throw it at the back door to RH hitters.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#10 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

I always hate how obviously misplayed flies don't show up in box scores as errors when they obviously are. Unfair to the pitcher. Thanks for the info SD.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Twins' own Pedro Hernandez is a good comparable for Miguel Surbaran. Similar statute and very similar stuff.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Similar statute and very similar stuff.

A stature of limitations, you're saying? :)

#13 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Twins' own Pedro Hernandez is a good comparable for Miguel Surbaran. Similar statute and very similar stuff.

I don't see it. 19 years old, only in America since 2012, has potential for an above average fastball. I'm not big on labeling players, cause I never see two who look the same. This is the type of transaction where Ryan and our scouts shine. I'm too lazy to look, was Hernandez ever 13th on a team's prospect list?

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I tend to agree that these are the types of transactions that Ryan does well on, but it is a risky deal. I do think that regardless he can end up as a reliever. I hope he picks up a few more ticks on that FB too. I don't care how tall he is if he can work in the 93-95 range instead of 91-92, he'll get opportunities.

Maybe we will get lucky and he's not done growing. At 19, it's possible.

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well that would surpress our initial optimism. As stated, his age and level hopefully indicates there is more promise in this arm.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

A stature of limitations, you're saying? :)

don't you love typos ;)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Maybe he turns into Johan Santana. And we need to reevaluate that Castillo trade.

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well that would surpress our initial optimism. As stated, his age and level hopefully indicates there is more promise in this arm.

I thought the initial optimism was based on the fact Ryan got anything for Butera more than an honest assessment of the prospect.

Good guy to have in the system but that comp is probably about right. But there are several outcomes.

#19 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well now our top 20 prospects is updated and guess who has bumped into the lucky13 spot...
Ah come on, how did you guess? (I actually was really wondering who was bumped off the list)

#20 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

I don't see the comp. Surbaran is taller. Sulbaran sits in the low 90s and can hit mid 90s. Pedro can hit low 90s, but he sits in the high 80s. Also, Pedro's best off-speed pitch is his change-up/screwball. Pedro's curve is not a major league pitch. Finally, upside. Sulbaran has much higher upside. Pedro is at his upside now, and it's a AAAA/sixth starter without much hope for the bullpen because of his troubles against lefties.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#21 twinsfanstl

twinsfanstl

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

cmath- whats your source? I was at the Kernals game he started and his fastball never got above 89 according to field radar. He did have a low/mid 70's changeup that looked wicked.

#22 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

cmath- whats your source? I was at the Kernals game he started and his fastball never got above 89 according to field radar. He did have a low/mid 70's changeup that looked wicked.

Thanks for that information. It seems the velocity reports from BA, ESPN, etc... are often inflated. It's nice to have first hand information.

#23 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Miguel Sulbaran is 2-0 for Cedar Rapids with a 2.40 ERA in three starts so far. He has struck out 15 in 15 innings with only 4 walks. Opponents batting average is a little high at .279.
His MiLB stats page has some interesting splits but these are such a small sample size that they are insignificant alone. (only showing current team) I would love for someone to share the full season splits (opposing BA's rightys/leftys/runners on etc...) if you have that. I am wondering if what we see with the Kernels is trend or mirage...

#24 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Miguel Sulbaran is 2-0 for Cedar Rapids with a 2.40 ERA in three starts so far. He has struck out 15 in 15 innings with only 4 walks. Opponents batting average is a little high at .279.
His MiLB stats page has some interesting splits but these are such a small sample size that they are insignificant alone. (only showing current team) I would love for someone to share the full season splits (opposing BA's rightys/leftys/runners on etc...) if you have that. I am wondering if what we see with the Kernels is trend or mirage...

Sulbaran's full season splits can be found here. There is nothing alarming in his Righty/Lefty splits other than that his babip against left handers was .401 which in turn drove their BAA up to .293. Even with that they still only OPSed .689 (vs. .651 verus RH).

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

Sulbaran's full season splits can be found here. There is nothing alarming in his Righty/Lefty splits other than that his babip against left handers was .401 which in turn drove their BAA up to .293. Even with that they still only OPSed .689 (vs. .651 verus RH).

If he makes it to the majors as a rotation regular, he will defy another set of conventions about starting pitchers that the Twins like defying, like Deduno and Albers did. How many 5'10" starters in the majors, are there actually?

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

If he makes it to the majors as a rotation regular, he will defy another set of conventions about starting pitchers that the Twins like defying, like Deduno and Albers did. How many 5'10" starters in the majors, are there actually?

There's got to be a lot. He can hit low 90s which is certainly on par with a number of major league starters. The big thing I'd guess would be an issue is that he's not going to get as much downward plane on his pitches. That doesn't mean it's impossible for him to have a major league career. Once of Lincicum's biggest knocks was his 5' 11" frame, and he ended up with a couple of Cy Young awards.

I'd also note, he's 19. While not common, he could still grown a couple of inches. Mauer did that.

#27 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Season final stats, 9-4 w/l in 27 games, 20 started. He finished with a 2.96 ERA, 2.70 with the Twins/Kernels for the last 4 games all starts. He had a 2.6 walk/9 ratio and a 8.1 SO ratio. In 112.2 innings he allowed only 3 Hrs, 4 hit batsmen and 2 wild pitches. (Control) in his 7 relief appearances he recorded 1 save but no holds. His ground out to fly out was .84