Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/12): Gonsalves Deals in Appy Debut

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...s-in-Appy-Debut

#2 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

Let us hope that the chip stays on Gonslaves' shoulder for 20 some years.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

That Tweet gets me excited. Love the attitude!

My mind is blown by what is happening in Rochester. I fully expected them to stink.

Their manager must be the replacement for Gardy...Right?

#4 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

I wonder why Hicks was sitting ?

#5 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

Love the tweet Stephen! And the performance. Hope the Twins don't bench hhim for three starts for showing up the other 29 starts/complimenting the Twins scouts/draft.

#6 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

I wonder why Hicks was sitting ?

I think he is injured. I'd rather he be playing over Thomas.

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

I like this kid. Nice outing. He's 18 too. Hope he continues to dominate the Appy league so we can see him in CR next season.

#8 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Another nice report, Jeremy. Many thanks to you guys!

Three Pitchers of the week among the six leagues. Not bad for a system that's been pitching-weak over the last few years. Another sign of improvement.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Let us hope that the chip stays on Gonslaves' shoulder for 20 some years.

I concur. Adding another guy like Deduno and Albers- who both fuel their performances with shots of heart-felt and gutty emotional energy- is an exciting proposition. Berrios seems to have a streak of this "shoulder chip", as well [ 1) His ceiling has been widely pooh-poohed by the national experts because of his short stature- 2) additionally, Berrios is reported to be driven to accepting nothing less of himself than perfection]. Gonsalves could easily end up being the steal of the draft.

Unfortunately, between now and the date when he ultimately reaches the Twins Rotation, I expect multiple rounds of Twins FO "attitude adjustment" measures. Hopefully the FO has learned its lesson with Garza, Slowey and Lohse, and finds a happy medium for "chip"- channeling.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

That Tweet gets me excited. Love the attitude!

My mind is blown by what is happening in Rochester. I fully expected them to stink.

Their manager must be the replacement for Gardy...Right?

That would be Gene Glynn, Waseca's own, and Minnesota's first Mr. Basketball. At only 5'10", he's been an over-achiever his whole life. He seems to be nothing short of a miracle worker the last 2 years at Rochester. All of his top-performing players get promoted to fill the gaping holes on the Twins, while the major league disappointments, filler signees and castoffs could potentially come down to Rochester and infect the clubhouse with a malcontented malady.

If the Twins make a mistake and don't do something with him in the way of recognition and a promotion, expect other clubs to steal his unique set of talents away from the organization.

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

I love teh attitude, I'm surprised how many others do...

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

I concur. Adding another guy like Deduno and Albers- who both fuel their performances with shots of heart-felt and gutty emotional energy- is an exciting proposition. Berrios seems to have a streak of this "shoulder chip", as well [ 1) His ceiling has been widely pooh-poohed by the national experts because of his short stature- 2) additionally, Berrios is reported to be driven to accepting nothing less of himself than perfection]. Gonsalves could easily end up being the steal of the draft.

Unfortunately, between now and the date when he ultimately reaches the Twins Rotation, I expect multiple rounds of Twins FO "attitude adjustment" measures. Hopefully the FO has learned its lesson with Garza, Slowey and Lohse, and finds a happy medium for "chip"- channeling.

I always thought Slowey's main problem was a lack of talent.

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

That would be Gene Glynn, Waseca's own, and Minnesota's first Mr. Basketball. At only 5'10", he's been an over-achiever his whole life. He seems to be nothing short of a miracle worker the last 2 years at Rochester. All of his top-performing players get promoted to fill the gaping holes on the Twins, while the major league disappointments, filler signees and castoffs could potentially come down to Rochester and infect the clubhouse with a malcontented malady.

If the Twins make a mistake and don't do something with him in the way of recognition and a promotion, expect other clubs to steal his unique set of talents away from the organization.

Teams had several years to hire Glynn before 2012 when he was working as a scout. Credit the Twins for pulling the trigger.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think he is injured. I'd rather he be playing over Thomas.

Yeah, he's had a minor leg injury. I'd rather see Hicks playing over Thomas, but the key is to get Hicks some at bats out of the spotlight. His development is way more important than a couple of plays this year.

Thomas has hit better than Hicks, and he's shown that he can cover some ground in CF. He's not Hicks defensively, but he's solid.

Only thing I care about is doing what's best for Hicks long-term development.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I love teh attitude, I'm surprised how many others do...

Why would anyone have a problem with that?

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Teams had several years to hire Glynn before 2012 when he was working as a scout. Credit the Twins for pulling the trigger.

I credit Bob Gebhard for recommending him to the Twins, and the Twins acting on his adivice. Credit Glynn as well, for hanging in there all these years and then making the most of his opportunity entering a pretty thankless job in Rochester.

Watch the teams line up in the offseason to get Glynn now.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, that "lack of talent" was why he was a 2nd round draft pick, had a career Twins minor league ERA of 2.13 and why the the Twins were then confident enough in his ability to grant him Super 2 arb status.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

There are entire threads about Garza and Harper and others with attitudes on this site. I'm just surprised, that's all.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Uhh, some in high places do....

#20 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

Yeah, that "lack of talent" was why he was a 2nd round draft pick, had a career Twins minor league ERA of 2.13 and why the the Twins were then confident enough in his ability to grant him Super 2 arb status.

All of which means nothing if it doesn't translate into major league success. Not the first time a high draft pick and hot prospect didn't pan out. Great college pitcher, good minor league career. Not quite good enough for the Show. Happens all the time.

#21 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

LOVE the attitude and moxie. Bring it with you every game, Stephen!

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

All of which means nothing if it doesn't translate into major league success. Not the first time a high draft pick and hot prospect didn't pan out. Great college pitcher, good minor league career. Not quite good enough for the Show. Happens all the time.

That misses the point of my response, which countered the claim that Slowey had a lack of talent. And misses the greater point that the Twins FO has mishandled players in the recent past who appear to display "attitude."

And..... actually he was more than good enough. He had a great rookie season and was a very effective P-T-C #5 SP for the next 2 years, until assorted injuries, a strange ST demotion in favor of Blackburn and other "philosophical disagreements" (why....he actually reads and quotes from classical books!) with the coaching staff (leading to the club engaging in a character-assassination-whisper campaign that continues to the present day) led to his falling out with the Twins.

Edited by jokin, 13 August 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#23 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I hope nobody tells Gonsalves that the Twins passed on him three times.

#24 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, he's had a minor leg injury. I'd rather see Hicks playing over Thomas, but the key is to get Hicks some at bats out of the spotlight. His development is way more important than a couple of plays this year.

Thomas has hit better than Hicks, and he's shown that he can cover some ground in CF. He's not Hicks defensively, but he's solid.

Only thing I care about is doing what's best for Hicks long-term development.

There's essentially nothing different between Hicks and Thomas this year. Neither should be in the big leagues. I'm amazed that it seems to be unrecognized that Thomas sucks incredibly.

#25 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hopefully Albers can keep it going. Obviously he will eventually give up a run, but hopefully he can continue to pitch well. It will be interesting to see how he fares playing a team a second time.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

There's essentially nothing different between Hicks and Thomas this year. Neither should be in the big leagues. I'm amazed that it seems to be unrecognized that Thomas sucks incredibly.

The reason it seems "unrecognized" is that it simply isn't true. Thomas certainly doesn't deserve to be a starting CF and that the Twins should, and will, eventually make an upgrade, but that doesn't mean that he Clete no value. His OBP/SLG/OPS batting slash isn't all that far below the median numbers for a MLB CF. And in just 219 PA, his combined WAR in the field and at the plate is much better than replacement level at 0.5. I would think "incredible suckage" would mean he would require a negative WAR number, not a positive one.

And Hicks is an inaccurate and invalid comparison to Thomas. His career, flashes of excellence and talented tool set suggests he still has significant upside. Thomas is a finished product, a slightly above-replacement-level 4th/5th OFer. Hicks still can become an annual 3.0 WAR CFer.

Edited by jokin, 13 August 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#27 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Seth and Jeremy:

This may be the wrong thread to post this--but in checking MILB.com for Stephen Gonsalves update--noticed the Kernels put Berrios on the DL--is this a serious injury or just a rest to control innings--like they did to Brett Lee??

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I can't imagine anyone in the Twins front office being upset about a guy wanting to prove a lot of people wrong... That's way different than showing people up.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Seth and Jeremy:

This may be the wrong thread to post this--but in checking MILB.com for Stephen Gonsalves update--noticed the Kernels put Berrios on the DL--is this a serious injury or just a rest to control innings--like they did to Brett Lee??

Looking into it, but my assumption is that it's just a way to keep innings down. They do that all the time. They did it with Brett Lee a week or so ago. They've moved Melotakis to the bullpen a couple of times. Earlier in the year, Tomshaw was placed on the DL for 10 days. This is normal.

Don't get me wrong, if it's an injury, then they will completely shut him down, but I don't see any reason to think that.

#30 jun

jun

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Slowey has been doing fairly well with the lowly Marlins this season. I think he has more talent than you thought.