- Time to cut Blair Walsh
Today, 06:46 PM
- Barr Out for the Remainder of the Season with Knee Surgery
Today, 05:34 PM
- Article: How Does Teddy Compare? - Version 3.0
Today, 01:29 PM
- Norv Turner defends his rookie QB
Today, 11:17 AM
- Article: What to do With Matt Kalil
Yesterday, 09:57 PM
- Hoge is really down on Johnny Football--really down
Yesterday, 09:00 PM
- Article: Vikings Journal Mailbag: Next Year's Optimism, Playing Rookies and Draft Strategy
Yesterday, 07:24 PM
- Article: Fantasy Football Week 16 Rankings
Yesterday, 02:16 PM
- This Week in the NFC North - Week 16
Dec 17 2014 05:17 PM
- NFLPA files lawsuit against the NFL on behalf of Peterson
Dec 17 2014 12:30 PM
Article: On Slowey, Twins Sold Too Low Once Again
Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:05 AM
Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:38 AM
Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:59 PM
It was a personality issue that the Twins rushed to remove, fair or not. I also don't think that the Twins would have dealt Slowey directly to Cleveland or the Cleveland would have given up Putnam for him. Cleveland's farm system is weak. Had Putnam been in the Twins system, I likely would have ranked him somewhere in the low-20s. (Then again, I wouldn't have Turpen in my Top 50 either).
I'm not sure that the Twins/Cleveland trade couldn't have happened. After all, they did deal for Pavano from Cleveland in the division. The reality is, the opportunity did not exist when they traded him to Colorado.
Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:02 PM
The Pavano for Pino deal was in August, and Pino wasn't a prospect, even though I liked him.
Sure, but in both cases (Rockies/Indians, Twins/Indians) those trades were made out of desperation. Indians wanted to unload Pavano and had nowhere else to turn since it was post non-waiver. With Carmona's situation, the Indians were in need of a fairly inexpensive starter and likely would have made a trade for Slowey. I think you are correct in assuming that the Twins wouldn't have landed a Putnam in December but given the circumstances, the Indians would have definitely given up Putnam in January. Bottom line is that circumstances would dictate whether or not the Twins would be able to make a trade with Cleveland.