Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Delmon DFAed

casper wells delmon young oliveros phillies
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,554 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Delmon Young was designated for assignment so that the Phils could add Casper Wells. Need I say more? If Oliveros comes back and posts any substantial innings, the trade of Delmon Young will be a success.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

The trade was with Detroit, so his free agent signing with the Phillies isn't really part of the Young/Oliveros match up (so to speak).

#3 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

Am I the only one who is sad that a guy with that much potential let it all go to waste. Going to go out on a limb here but Delmon wont be in the league two years from now. His brother had a better career.

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

The trade was with Detroit, so his free agent signing with the Phillies isn't really part of the Young/Oliveros match up (so to speak).

But it continues to show just how bad he is as a player. I was very happy when that trade happened.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Am I the only one who is sad that a guy with that much potential let it all go to waste. Going to go out on a limb here but Delmon wont be in the league two years from now. His brother had a better career.

If he had only learned some patience... I think he could have been a monster (offensively at least)...

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Good chance he doesn't see MLB time next year.
Papers...business papers.

#7 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

I won't count Demon Young's career over for a few years yet. The guy has a power bat, so he could catch on with a team looking for a DH in the playoffs. In fact, that might be the only time he finds work from now on, seeing what a crappy outfielder he is.

#8 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Good chance he doesn't see MLB time next year.

I wanted to say that. I just feel like the Astros giving him a shot or something, especially after they wasted time on Pena this year.

#9 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yes, you wonder what the problem was.

The Phillies seemed to have let him go because he was a cheap pickup and they wanted to avoid paying him even more to hang around and not play much,

That he signed for $750,000 means someone, somewhere will give him a chance,, but it has to be in the American League where he can DH.

He is eating humble pie right now. Someone will give him a chance if they can continue to sign him for less than a million. And he will keep trying to get a job.

If no one picks him up for the September push, I will be surprised.

I don't see him playing Indy League ball at all.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#10 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

If he had only learned some patience... I think he could have been a monster (offensively at least)...

And if he could stay away from the dollar menu. The guy took his job seriously for about half a season, and not coincidentally, it was by far the most productive time of his career.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,554 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I don't think Delmon will ever be the offensive monster he might have been. He has shown flashes (a half-season with the Twins, two post-seasons with the Tigers), but can't sustain it. Because he is a bad outfielder, his great arm is marginalized and because of his personality, he is a tough guy to like (if that matters). I don't doubt that some team (maybe the Orioles) will take a chance on him, but he was DFAed so that the Phillies could add Casper Wells, who has been on five teams in one year.

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think he was physically superior as a youngster, who also had MLB exposure. Unfortunately, that may have made him look better than his actual ceiling.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Delmon was about to reach some bonus incentive in his contract, and Wells will be cheaper over the course of the season. I bet Delmon ends up somewhere before the season is out...

#14 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

MLB trade rumors says that the Rays are looking at either Paul Konerko or Delmon Young. Wouldn't that be ironic-Delmon returning to his former team!

EDIT: Delmon cleared waivers and got released. He's a FA now. Not sure if anyone else knew that.

#15 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

And he has rejoined the Rays.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#16 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

A few years back, Delmon hit a batting practice homer in Kansas City that is probably the furthest ball I have ever seen hit. The ball hit a table on the fly in the area of the Royals Hall of Fame. The table just shattered. It was quite a sight and a majestic shot. I never was a fan of his but I was impressed with him on that day. I hope he can turn it around.

#17 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

A few years back, Delmon hit a batting practice homer in Kansas City that is probably the furthest ball I have ever seen hit. The ball hit a table on the fly in the area of the Royals Hall of Fame. The table just shattered. It was quite a sight and a majestic shot. I never was a fan of his but I was impressed with him on that day. I hope he can turn it around.

Yup. Watching Delmon take BP was worth the price of a ticket, and always made me wonder just how good he could have been.

#18 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

And cows could have wings.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#19 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

But hey, he's playing in October and just gave the Rays a 1-0 lead.

There's just a lot of "what could have beens" with DY

#20 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Does TB have any players left from the Garza trade (after TB I mean, Cubs?) and was Bartlett dealt to San Diego or just released. Just wondering if TB is still repeaing rewards from the DY/Garza trade.

#21 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

They flipped them both for a bunch of players. Don't feel like looking up their stats to see if they are any good.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#22 FSP

FSP

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

The Rays traded him for Chris Archer, Sam Fuld, Hak Ju Lee, Robinson Chirinos and Brandon Guyer I think. So basically a good young pitcher, a still decent SS prospect I think, and a 4th OF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: casper wells, delmon young, oliveros, phillies