Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

No wonder why we got rid of Garza

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Y! SPORTS

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, it was kind of fun to follow the Tweets live last night. Garza's definitely not the nicest person, and the drinking concerns have been there since his days with the Twins. No question. He can still pitch pretty well though.

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yet another spat over players not liking someone else beating them well within the written rules because it violated some nonsense. The whole unwritten rules thing is easily my most hated part of baseball.

#4 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

This seems more about Garza being a jack--s. Most jobs have their own unwritten rules. Learning to deal with them is part of doing the job and being professional. There are a lot of pitchers who don't like being bunted on. Sabathia comes to mind. Getting mad about it is one thing, taking it off the field is another.

Garza has great stuff and can be a very good pitcher. This is already his 4th organization, which kind of indicates that being a good teammate has some value to organizations.

Edited by Jim H, 04 August 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#5 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

I bet Garza would try for a triple instead of stopping at second. Not the twins way.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#6 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

If he were on my staff I would bench him. Or I'd send out engraved invitations to the next team he faces to bunt 1-9, and when he started complaining I would sprint out to the mound and start screaming in his dumbazz, immature face in front of 30,000 fans until he felt about 2 inches tall. Then I'd bench him.

I for one am glad he does not play for my team. He's a very good pitcher, but come on.

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

This seems more about Garza being a jack--s. Most jobs have their own unwritten rules. Learning to deal with them is part of doing the job and being professional. There are a lot of pitchers who don't like being bunted on. Sabathia comes to mind. Getting mad about it is one thing, taking it off the field is another.

Garza has great stuff and can be a very good pitcher. This is already his 4th organization, which kind of indicates that being a good teammate has some value to organizations.

It indicates more the teams he has played for.

If there is an unwritten rule against bunting in a one run game - my dog can fly. The problem with unwritten rules is that they are basically vague BS that jerks who can't handle being bested use to justify their tantrums/stupidity.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

No, this one isn't about unwritten rules at all. It's just about Garza not liking players bunting on him. It's about Garza knowing other teams knowing that he doesn't field bunts and throw well to 1B. That's the report. It was a close game. No unwritten rules broken.

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

No, this one isn't about unwritten rules at all. It's just about Garza not liking players bunting on him. It's about Garza knowing other teams knowing that he doesn't field bunts and throw well to 1B. That's the report. It was a close game. No unwritten rules broken.

Yep - that's a classic insurance run; well done Oakland.

Matt was spitting mad - he' s always spitting something. One of the biggest spitters in the game.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

one of the common unwritten rules is about bunting with a lead. We see BS like this all the time with guys getting thrown at for bunting as if its bad form. Yeah, a good deal of this is Garza being a pissant for not being able to field bunts.....but I'd argue tht is exactly how every single unwritten rule gets started.

#11 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

A 3-2 game in the 7th? No way. Every team guns for an insurance run in that scenario. The fact that the As got it is part of the reason they're in 1st place, I imagine.

#12 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Man, he really is upset with that guy's wife.

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

it should be noted that he did publicly apologize for his rant...

#14 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

If he was throwing a no hitter or a perfect game while being up by 5 runs I could see him getting pissed, but not in this case. No way.
I bent my wookie...

#15 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

one of the common unwritten rules is about bunting with a lead. We see BS like this all the time with guys getting thrown at for bunting as if its bad form. Yeah, a good deal of this is Garza being a pissant for not being able to field bunts.....but I'd argue tht is exactly how every single unwritten rule gets started.

I tend to agree, most unwritten rules in baseball are total BS. The only exceptions in my mind are ones dealing with sportsmanship ie) showing up a guy after a HR, stealing when up by like 10 runs, etc. Most of the bunting "rules" especially are ridiculous. Am I really not supposed to bunt a guy over/in for an insurance run in a close game? Am I really not supposed to bunt for a hit down by 1 run if the opposing pitcher has a no-no going? Totally ridiculous. Play the game like a professional and do whatever you want/need to within the rules. Period.

#16 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

If he was throwing a no hitter or a perfect game while being up by 5 runs I could see him getting pissed, but not in this case. No way.

Even then I chafe at the "unwritten rule." Play to win the game, I couldn't care less about the individual accomplishment of the opposing pitcher. And 5 runs is no longer a safe cushion against any team. Maybe 10, but even then why not play hard to win with every out? It's not like bunting is some secret, ultra-effective weapon. It's a low percentage play that becomes a good, high-percentage play in certain situations.

#17 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

it should be noted that he did publicly apologize for his rant...

Is anyone else sick of entitled, immature pro sports figures acting worse than my 2 year old and then apologizing while blaming their "competitiveness?" Personally I don't care how competitive you are, if you can't act like an adult you don't have my respect. Just once I'd like one of these prima donnas to be honest and say "I'm a talented athlete that makes millions of dollars and I can act any way I want. Deal with it." That would at least be an honest expression of their mindset.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Garza is a jackass, you can tell by that douche goatee he has, also Pat Neshek burned him pretty good this morning.

#19 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Garza is a jackass, you can tell by that douche goatee he has, also Pat Neshek burned him pretty good this morning.

I missed it, did Neshek call him out?

#20 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

I missed it, did Neshek call him out?

Nevermind, I just looked it up. I knew there was a reason I liked Neshek.

#21 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

I'd say let's bunt on him constantly when he faces the Twins, but it would end up being the easiest game he's ever pitched.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett