Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/3): Rochester Wins in Dramatic Fashion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ramatic-Fashion

#2 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Sounds like an amazing AAA game. Thanks for the reporting, Seth.

#3 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

Talk about a thriller in Rochester! New Britain has put together a nice little winning streak after a terrible July.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Ft. Myers and Cedar Rapids clinched playoff spots in the first half of their seasons, and are both playing well in the 2nd half as well, even with promotions and such. Rochester went from 11 games back on July 2nd to taking their division lead by the end of the month. As of today, they would be a playoff team.

As mentioned, New Britain is playing a little better now. Elizabethton is the team that has been almost a given to make the playoffs most years. However, this year, they're struggling. The Big Three have been mostly good, but not as consistent, and I think because of the focus on pitching in the last couple of drafts, they don't have the offense they typically have.

#5 Head First

Head First

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Was that the first stint for Wimmers in his rehab?

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Who would you say right now is in line for a September call up?

#7 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I have an observation and question Seth.

Taylor Rogers continues the string of very good lefties out of UK (Albers, Darnell and Rogers), with a right handed Alex Meyer mixed in. Looking at UK's roster, I see several freshmen lefties who will be draft eligible in 2015. Perhaps the most intriguing is 6'9, 280 pound Chase Mullins. Then there is Kenosha, Wisconsin native Sam Mahar, who will be draft eligible next year. He had a fine freshman season in 2012 before missing all of 2013 with an arm injury. He was Wisconsin's gatorade player of the year a couple years ago...will he be the next lefty the Twins grab out of UK?

I see that Wimmers has now made a few rehab starts. The first couple were ok, before yesterday's rough outing. Do you see the Twins adding him to their 40-man roster in November? If they don't, do you see someone drafting him and stashing him on their roster as a 13th pitcher for a year?

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

The Kentucky lefty thing is pretty crazy. If nothing else, we know that the Twins will (and have) scouted the University of Kentucky. I'm sure they've been aware of the two you mentioned for 3-5 years.

As for Wimmers, I'm just not certain. My initial thought was that they would have to add him, but that is somewhat contingent upon him having come back and shown health by season's end. To this point, it's been mixed results.