Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Astros@Twins 8/2 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Astros: SP Jarred Cosart

SS Villar
2B Elmore
DH Castro
1B Wallace
C Corporan
RF Krauss
3B Dominquez
CF Barnes
LF Grossman

Twins: SP Samuel Deduno

2B Dozier
C Mauer
1B Morneau
RF Doumit
LF Arcia
3B Plouffe
DH Colabello
CF Thomas
SS Florimon

Things to think about:

1. Think about Gardenhire... He's wasn't happy yesterday. I wasn't able to watch the game but Gardenhire was upset primarily over the defense displayed in yesterday's loss to the Royals.

(Private note to Ron from Riverbrian...Please respect that privacy)

Dear Ron... I'm glad you finally went public your disappointment over sub-par defensive play in yesterday's game. I have been disappointed with certain aspects of this team and I feel you. I think fans and players need to see this public disenchantment so your mood fits all of ours. However... Defense hasn't been what I've been upset with this year. I think the D has been pretty good. It's been the offense... I would like them to be a little more professional at the plate from young to old. I know that bolded part is a nasty thing for me to say... but darn it... Good Golly... It needs to be said. Go ahead Ron... And get your dander up publicly when it comes to the offense. I think it's OK to do so.

(OK... You can all start reading again... the Private note to Gardy is over)

2. Think about Scott Diamond... Down to Rochester he goes... He's struggling... Last year he did a good job keeping his ball down. This year he ain't... He doesn't have the stuff for ain't.

3. Think about Aaron Hicks... Down to Rochester he goes... He isn't hitting the ball... I'm not sure how I feel about the send down of Hicks... I'm 50-50 on it... I can see the need for the send down... But I also see the need for a CF at the MLB level when he is in Rochester. For all the OF Depth we have... It certainly isn't up the middle... WE NEED A CF'er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Think about Oswaldo Arcia... We need power... We need it bad... It's starting to become clear that our bottom three in the order is just as capable of hitting the long ball as the middle three in our order... We Need Power... We need youth to develop... Welcome back Arcia... You fit both of those needs.

5. Think about Murphy's Law... Murphy's Law is "Anything that can go wrong... Will Go Wrong"... I was thinking that Murphy's Law can now be proven as fact using the 2013 Twins as example.

I spent all of today... Trying to prove/verify that Murphy's Law does exist. I'm sad to say that I was unable to prove my thesis on Murphy's Law because every attempt made and every avenue travelled... something kept going wrong.

Edited by Riverbrian, 02 August 2013 - 04:16 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

5. Think about Murphy's Law... Murphy's Law is "Anything that can go wrong... Will Go Wrong"... I was thinking that Murphy's Law can now be proven as fact using the 2013 Twins as example.

I think that applies to 2011 more than this year. We haven't been overwrought with injuries, we've just stunk :-)

I think our middle IF defense has been very, very good...but our overall defense has been bad, IMO

BTW, who is in CF?

Edited by ThePuck, 02 August 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Mostly the umpires have done us in.

" Throw me out I can't take any more of this crap"
https://encrypted-tb...BNA-z1zvR-jkczg

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think that applies to 2011 more than this year. We haven't been overwrought with injuries, we've just stunk :-)

I think our middle IF defense has been very, very good...but our overall defense has been bad, IMO

BTW, who is in CF?

Thanks... I corrected it... In CF for the Twins tonight... Kevin Correia!!! Ta Dah!!!

#5 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Only Joe and Doumit were Major League hitters in July. All the rest hit .240 or below.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Riverbrian, if you think that bolded part is nasty, your wife is the luckiest woman in the world .... you're just too nice.

#7 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

might have to crack open a vintage 2013 rondiaz for this.

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Riverbrian, if you think that bolded part is nasty, your wife is the luckiest woman in the world .... you're just too nice.

I am a nice guy... However... My wife considers leaving a shower towel on the floor mean.

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

I am a nice guy... However... My wife considers leaving a shower towel on the floor mean.

Stop showering for a handful of days - after that she may not view leaving a shower towel on the floor mean. She may start looking at it as the price of doing business.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#10 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Darin Mastroianni (ankle) has been sent to the Twins' spring training complex in Fort Myers, Florida to begin a minor league rehab assignment.

Mastroianni initially hurt his ankle on March 25, and Minnesota's medical staff, in its infinite wisdom, prescribed a short amount of rest. The speedy outfielder will DH and play five innings on Saturday for the Gulf Coast League Twins. He'll then sit on Sunday and return to the lineup on Monday. Mastroianni could potentially return to the Twins this month, but all bets are off due to the nagging nature of his malady.

Aug 2 - 1:21 PM

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

No, that just proves you're a man (still lacks the e in mean).

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

Darin Mastroianni (ankle) has been sent to the Twins' spring training complex in Fort Myers, Florida to begin a minor league rehab assignment.

Mastroianni initially hurt his ankle on March 25, and Minnesota's medical staff, in its infinite wisdom, prescribed a short amount of rest. The speedy outfielder will DH and play five innings on Saturday for the Gulf Coast League Twins. He'll then sit on Sunday and return to the lineup on Monday. Mastroianni could potentially return to the Twins this month, but all bets are off due to the nagging nature of his malady.

Good grief.

#13 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Interesting stat. At the major league level, Shelby Miller has only struck out the opponent's #3 hitter twice. That's it. Two times. Both times, it was Joey Votto...who leads the majors in walks by 11 going into play today and was tied for 3rd in walks last year.

#14 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Just got done watching a girl sport. At least they took care of business and put a smack down on Russia in the World Grand Prix. The kid scored 12 on 9 kills and 3 blocks. Go USA.

#15 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Bert's back.

#16 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

and they've spent the whole broadcast so far talking about the futility of the Astros. That should be our motto this year, 'at least we aren't the Astros'.

#17 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

might have to crack open a vintage 2013 rondiaz for this.

I suspect there isn't enough booze in the world to make this game interesting.

#18 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yet here I am, watching it.

#19 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Astros marketing slogan... Your Houston Astros, who the **** are these guys?

#20 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yet here I am, watching it.

I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. Someone out there must want to take me out.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

I suspect there isn't enough booze in the world to make this game interesting.

Your problem is obvious. You're limiting yourself to booze.

#22 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

After 1 inning, Astros low A affiliate 0, St.Paul Saints 0.

#23 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Your problem is obvious. You're limiting yourself to booze.

But I promised the family, no more crack.

#24 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm so sick of having to wait an hour or so every friggin game before this offense does anything at all.

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

and they've spent the whole broadcast so far talking about the futility of the Astros. That should be our motto this year, 'at least we aren't the Astros'.

An Astros sweep would really help us out in the Rodon race.

#26 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

An Astros sweep would really help us out in the Rodon race.

Cy Deduno has other plans.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

You know... I consider that solid advice... I can't see how this could backfire.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Stop showering for a handful of days - after that she may not view leaving a shower towel on the floor mean. She may start looking at it as the price of doing business.

Couple it with copious amounts of alcohol.

#29 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Couple it with copious amounts of alcohol.

And like the Chief says, don't limit yourself to booze.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Dick: Thanks Gun... For that report... That is certainly good news for Twins Fans.

Bert: Darin is the type of player the Twins are a little short of... He has speed and the Twins don't have a lot of speed right now... Especially after the Drew Butera trade.

Dick: We certainly wish Drew well in Albuquerque.