Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Who would you play?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

If you were in Gardy's shoes, what would your lineup be for tomorrow? What would you do to try and get this team going? And don't say bring up Dozier, that's not happening in the next 24 hours. Personally, my lineup would be: 1. Span, RF 2. Revere, CF 3. Mauer, C 4. Morneau, DH 5. Willingham, LF 6. Parmalee, 1B 7. Hughes, 2b 8. Plouffe, SS 9. Burroughs, 3b Shake things up a little. Remind Valencia, Doumit, Carroll, and Casilla that if they don't perform, there are other guys waiting to take their spot. Remind Span that we have other guys that can man CF if he can't keep Pujols from going first to third. If we had a third catcher, I'd sit Mauer too, but Doumit has looked even worse at the plate

#2 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would have traded Revere when he still had some value in the off season. And for all the Dozier talk, he is hitting against minor league pitching for a week so far. Sano might make it interesting if he continues to rip the cover off the ball.

#3 thrillema25

thrillema25

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I also like Span in RF, but mine would be: Span RF Mauer C Morneau DH Willingham LF Valencia 3B Parmalee 1B Hughes 2B Plouffe SS Revere CF

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Span CF Mauer C Morneau DH Willingham LF Valencia 3B Parmalee 1B Hughes 2B Plouffe RF Carroll SS And stick with it for awhile.

#5 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

I think the top of the order needs shaking up.. Revere CF Mauer C Morneau DH Willingham LF Doumit RF Parmalee 1B Valencia 3B Plouffe SS Casilla 2B However, I am willing to bet this is the lineup we'll see: Span CF Carroll SS Mauer C Mourneau DH Willingham LF Doumit RF Valencia 3B Parmalee 1B Casilla 2B Gardenhire wants this to be his every day lineup and coming off an off day, it's the typical time for him to put it back in play.

#6 TwinsFanLV

TwinsFanLV

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

1. Revere LF 2. Mauer C 3. Span CF 4. Morneau 1B 5. Willingham DH 6. Parmlee RF 7. Burroughs 3B 8. Casilla 2B 9. Carroll SS If Morneau is healthy enough to DH, he's healthy enough to play 1st base. What is the virtue of getting 600 at bats on a team that loses 120 games? Willingham is a defensive liability. Valencia just isn't getting it. 12 similarly non skilled pitchers is too many.

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you were in Gardy's shoes, what would your lineup be for tomorrow? What would you do to try and get this team going?

And don't say bring up Dozier, that's not happening in the next 24 hours.

Personally, my lineup would be:

1. Span, RF
2. Revere, CF
3. Mauer, C
4. Morneau, DH
5. Willingham, LF
6. Parmalee, 1B
7. Hughes, 2b
8. Plouffe, SS
9. Burroughs, 3b

Shake things up a little. Remind Valencia, Doumit, Carroll, and Casilla that if they don't perform, there are other guys waiting to take their spot. Remind Span that we have other guys that can man CF if he can't keep Pujols from going first to third. If we had a third catcher, I'd sit Mauer too, but Doumit has looked even worse at the plate

Sorry, I am going to use Dozier in my hypothetical line-up, At the conclusion of last season I felt in my baseball heart that this would be a Rebuilding Season and not a Retooling Season. Although Willingham has looked okay at the plate so far, I would not have signed him, Carroll - No, Marquis - No, Doumit - Yes, he can be a good hitting back-up Catcher and Bench Player at a fair price. You might as well have a sub-par season playing young players to take their licks and get experience than squirting some Elmer's Glue on an amputated limb, hoping that will stop the bleeding. In my unprofessional opinion, that is what the Twin's Front Office is doing and are only delaying the future success of the ball club.

CF- Span
LF - Revere
C - Mauer
DH - Morneau
RF - Benson
1B - Parmelee
3B - Hughes (I am a glutton for punishment)
2B - Plouffe (See Above 3B)
SS - Dozier

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Span CF Carroll 2B Mauer C Morneau 1B Willingham RF Doumit DH Valencia 3B Dozier SS Revere LF SP: Hendriks OK, back to the without Dozier part of it: I'd move Carroll back to 2nd and have Casilla bat 8th at 2B.

Edited by Seth Stohs, 11 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#9 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Span CF Mauer C Morneau DH Willingham LF Doumit RF Valencia 3B Parmalee 1B Carroll SS Casilla 2B The change there from the "norm" would have nothing to do with shaking anything up, though, as that would have been my Opening Day lineup.

#10 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

If Morneau is healthy enough to DH, he's healthy enough to play 1st base. What is the virtue of getting 600 at bats on a team that loses 120 games? Willingham is a defensive liability. Valencia just isn't getting it. 12 similarly non skilled pitchers is too many.

This was pretty well covered at the end of March on all the media outlets as to why he's DH'ing over playing 1B for the most part. Also, I'll be in Las Vegas in May if you'd like to meet to place a legal wager on that 120 loss prediction.

#11 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Revere CF Hughes 2B Mauer C Mourneau DH Willingham LF Doumit RF Parmelee 1B Valencia 3B Casilla SS Span is 4 for 15 so far this year and 2 for 13 career against Weaver. Carroll is 1 for 10 against Weaver and 0 for 13 so far this year. They're grabbing some pine.

Edited by powrwrap, 10 April 2012 - 09:02 PM.

[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#12 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Mine would be: 1. Span RF 2. Mauer C 3. Morneau DH 4. Willingham LF 5. Valencia 3B 6. Parmalee 1B 7. Hughes 2B 8. Carroll SS 9. Revere CF I think this is the best balance of offense and defense for the Twins, with what they have. I like Mauer 2nd in lineup – good on base and RBI guy. Morneau's hitting the best, so having him third makes sense. If Dozier were here, I would put him in in place of Carroll.

#13 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Surprised so many of you are willing to leave Valencia at 3b given his performance so far.

#14 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Surprised so many of you are willing to leave Valencia at 3b given his performance so far.

He doesn't appear to be the answer to the long lasting void the Twin's have to fill. I'd rather give Hughes and Plouffe a try. they might not be any better, but at this point what is there to lose? Valencia is as we all know a lack luster fielder and if you have an OBP below .300, you should not be starting for any team... let alone he is a corner infielder who should provide some offensive pop. Not happening.

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Velencia is proudly on my bench. I may not allow him on the bench. May force him to sit in corner in the clubhouse with no pre game or post game food to snack on. May make him sort socks or something. Even if Velencia has a couple of dingers off weaver. Message must be sent. Velencia you do not have a major league job sewn up yet. OK the lineup against Weaver Span CF (bunt single to start the game) Mauer C (funny how a lot of us think Mauer should be in the two hole) Willingham RF (just to break up the lefties) Morneau 1B (he's gotta play 1B sometime again... Nows as a good time as any) Doumit DH (that's right... Both catchers in the lineup and one at DH...can u sleep tonight) Plouffe 3B (2 for 5 against weaver... 400 average baby) Hughes 2B (1 for 2 against weaver.. 500 average baby) Revere LF (here comes the speed... We may have to bunt and steal and little ball it) Casilla SS (More speed... Weaver will need his slide step and Ianetta will be tested)

#16 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Velencia is proudly on my bench. I may not allow him on the bench. May force him to sit in corner in the clubhouse with no pre game or post game food to snack on. May make him sort socks or something. Even if Velencia has a couple of dingers off weaver. Message must be sent. Velencia you do not have a major league job sewn up yet.

Well, after reading this I was 100% convinced that Riverbrian and Gardy are one in the same, but then he had to go and throw a curve ball by putting Doumit at DH. We all know Gardy's head might explode if he has to have a pitcher hit...not sure why since any of the pitchers on our team must be able to hit as well as most these guys have so far, but.... So, now I'm really confused, is it Gardy and Doumit is just at DH to throw us off?

Answer this, has any of us ever seen Riverbrian and Gardy in the same place at the same time? ;)

#17 TwinsFanLV

TwinsFanLV

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

This was pretty well covered at the end of March on all the media outlets as to why he's DH'ing over playing 1B for the most part. Also, I'll be in Las Vegas in May if you'd like to meet to place a legal wager on that 120 loss prediction.

Not interested in media outlets. The Morneau excuses sound a lot like "bilateral leg weakness". When you come to Las Vegas, bring money. Plenty of opportunities to make legal wagers.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Span, CF Mauer, C Morneau, DH Willingham, RIGHT FIELD Parmelee, 1B Burroughs, 3B Carroll, SS Casilla, 2B Two right-handed bats against Weaver. I have nothing against Carroll batting second, but Mauer was born to bat second, obviously.

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Answer this, has any of us ever seen Riverbrian and Gardy in the same place at the same time? ;)

You might be onto something because I know that I haven't.

#20 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Span, CF
Mauer, C
Morneau, DH
Willingham, RIGHT FIELD
Parmelee, 1B
Burroughs, 3B
Carroll, SS
Casilla, 2B

Two right-handed bats against Weaver. I have nothing against Carroll batting second, but Mauer was born to bat second, obviously.

Call me crazy, but I'm leery about not having a left fielder.

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

Unconventional for sure. But hey... The teams is 0-4 and about to face Weaver. It's a fresh idea.

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

Haha, Revere got cut off there.

Span, CF
Mauer, C
Morneau, DH
Willingham, RIGHT FIELD
Parmelee, 1B
Burroughs, 3B
Carroll, SS
Casilla, 2B
Revere, LF

#23 nchillsdale

nchillsdale

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

My first post. :cool:

Anyway my lineup would be:

Span (RF)
Mauer ©
Morneau (DH)
Willingham (LF)
Parmelee (1B)
Sano (3B)
Dozier (SS)

Rosario (2B)
Revere (CF)

Ha, I drifted off there for a second......

Span (CF)
Mauer ©
Morneau (DH)
Willingham (RF)
Parmelee (1B)
Valencia (3B)
Doumit (LF)
Carrol (SS)
Casilla (2B)

I think people need to give Valencia a little bit more time.

#24 VodkaDave

VodkaDave

Banned

• Banned
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

You don't "shake things up" 4 games into the season and throw out the panic signal.

#25 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

My first post. :cool:

Anyway my lineup would be:

Doumit (LF)

Wait, isn't that the same as not having a left fielder? :P

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

You don't "shake things up" 4 games into the season and throw out the panic signal.

"Please shake well before using". Those words should be hung in Gardy's office, in large letters on the dugout, printed on the backs of the jerseys and at eye level at the urinals. Well shake "after" in that location. Shake before everywhere else.

#27 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Span CF Hughes SS Mauer C Morneau DH Willingham LF Valenca 3B Plouffe RF Parmelee 1B Casilla 2B
I bent my wookie...

#28 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Even when we've only scored one run before the 8th inning in those four games and are averaging an error a game?

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,614 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

I really don't have a problem with the lineup, but they aren't hitting so far. I might have Plouffe starting somewhere, just because the Twins need to decide what he is and what he can do. I guess I would flip-flop Casilla and Carroll just to take some pressure off Carroll. Span CF Casilla 2B Mauer C Willingham LF Morneau DH Valencia 3B Parmelee 1B Plouffe RF Carroll SS .

#30 BigVin

BigVin

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Let's be real, this is not a great Defensive team no matter whose playing it seems. So my starting lineup would be: Span-RF Plouffe-SS Mauer-C Willingham-LF Morneau-DH Parmalee-1b Valencia-3b Hughes-2b Revere-CF So over Casilla, and I like Carroll, so float him around SS and 2b. Doumit is our 4th OF, and backup C. Burroughs can float between 3b and 1b