Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Sano sitting for a few days after how he handled himself hitting homerun

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#1 Erock

Erock

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

According to Paul Molitor https://twitter.com/...441859874631680

This may be the video.
Miguel Sano Homerun - YouTube

Flipped the bat after ball left the park and then decided to head to first.

#2 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sure looked like he took a while to get out of the box after that one....then again, if I could hit one like that, I may get caught looking a little too long as well.

#3 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Complete BS. The Twins suck and this is why. Anyone with any emotion gets benched? That was a big home run by a big dude. This "Minnesota Nice" **** is unbelievable. Bench possibly the second best player in the organization for doing what he does best? If I was Sano, I'd ask for a trade. Let the pitcher handle it next time he comes to the plate. Garbage.

#4 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Jacque Jones used to flip his bat after every dinger. I specifically remember my dad and I doing it when he hit a couple game winners. I love the attitude.

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

I can understand teaching players to respect their opponents, but sometimes I think this team goes a bit too far with that mentality. Not saying this occasion is an example, I don't know the conversations behind the scenes, but it's something I wish the organization would loosen up on in general.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,428 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

This is garbage.

(Especially since I will be seeing the Rock Cats at Reading this Saturday. Totally mad at Molitor if he does not play.)

The "Twins way" resulted in 99+96+9? , about time to appreciate players who show some emotion instead of players (and managers and general managers) who are ok with losing and go about their (losing) business as if nothing matters.

Total garbage.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Wasn't Sano benched in Fort Myers in June for a few days for some sort of clubhouse issue?

Hope this isn't a sign of personality issues that may develop down the road.

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

This isn't Sano's first offense here. Earlier this year someone tried to take his head off. I don't mind the attitude, but I really don't understand what gloating is going to do for you other than make someone consider tossing one at your head (I'm not advocating head hunting either, just recognizing that it's a reality). It brings nothing, and could potentially cost a lot.

But again, what value does excessive celebration bring to the game? I cannot think of anything, and I'd rather it be dealt with now than later.

#9 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

It's the fact that he has a personality. That's the issue here.

#10 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I can visualize a coach running next to Sano screaming, "What the F*** are u waiting for ? Move your as*! We don't need no f**king statues out there!" etc etc etc

#11 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

That's showing up the other team - unnecessary.

It's one thing to clap and look happy running around the bases; to stand like a god and admire your homerun is a no-no, and an invitation for a little chin music next time up.

I don't have any problem benching players for this kind of behavior. Stamp it out before it becomes epidemic.

#12 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

And I don't mind personality, as long as it doesn't become something that can be disruptive in the clubhouse and affect team chemistry. And I'm not saying that is the case here - but if they've seen something that they are worried might develop in the future, I can understand why they might want to address it early in his career before it develops into a problem.

This is all speculation, of course, as nobody here knows what was said afterward in the clubhouse and what the concern really is.

#13 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

It took Sano 5+ seconds of admiring the blast before he took off jogging to first, that's a bit excessive.

So I'm okay with sitting him as a lesson, but don't want the Twins to take away that edge of confidence/attitude he has.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#14 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Tcarlic/Thyrlos. I didn't get to see anything other than the above video, which doesn't show enough for me to make a particular judgment, but I'm with diehard here. Showing up a pitcher by watching a homerun or gloating in any manner just isn't viewed as acceptable by the general standards of all the teams (this should be viewed completely apart from my own belief that personality is completely different than being a jerk). Again, I'm not accusing Sano of anything here, I don't have any info, but speaking generally, the league self policies here and I have no problem with the Twins, in their judgment, adjusting attitudes to the acceptable norms.

I don't see how gloating makes you a better player either.

#15 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I bet 29 other teams would be happy to take whatever attitude he has. Maybe it's time to trade him, Gardy isn't going to want that in his clubhouse when he gets his new lifetime contract this winter.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#16 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I feel like this is a trivial display. Doing this at the majors is probably very inappropriate, but a suspension is over the top discipline. Let's not tamper with his competitive spirit and confidence.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Again, I'm not accusing Sano of anything here, I don't have any info, but speaking generally, the league self policies here and I have no problem with the Twins, in their judgment, adjusting attitudes to the acceptable norms.

I don't see how gloating makes you a better player either.

Agreed, but sometimes some gloating, showmanship, etc. comes with being aggressive and hard-nosed. The Twins could use a few more players with an edge to their game.

On top of that, most of the "self policing" is done in regards to the utterly stupid "unwritten rules" which are just a host of inane guidelines that discourage toughness and aggressiveness. Sano may need to be coached down a bit, but let's hope they don't neuter his edgy, confident play. I, for one, am very excited to have a player like that in our system with serious star power/talent potential.

#18 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

It's one thing to flip your bat and run the bases, it's another to stand there and watch until it lands. As others have said, you not only show up the other team, you risk possible career-ending injury (to you or perhaps the guy hitting behind you). Imagine some guy who knows he'll be lucky to make AAA much less the majors on the mound- he might not have a real great attitude about the event, and not much to lose.

Keep your personality, but keep it within the reasonable bounds of professionalism. AJ's survived in the league, there's a lot of room there.

#19 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm fine with the attitude, not fine with the action. If I was the other team... he'd be hit in the next AB. Try doing that in the pros, almost guarantee very next AB he gets hit, or the next batter gets hit. I watched the video and kept thinking to myself "shouldn't he be at 1b by now?" Nope, he flipped the bat and finally left the batters box after the ball had left the park.

No problem with sitting him a few days as a lesson. Just like I had no problem with Rosario sitting a few games. They are not bigger than the game, no matter how much talent and how well they do. Respect should always be given. I don't think Buxton will ever have this issue.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Come on ya'll... this one (from the video, not even knowing what was happening other than he was watching it) absolutely should create some sort of punishment... that's not just watching it, that's flat-out showing up the opponent. Molitor was right in saying that it was embarrassing. Long-term, it's not a big deal. Learn from it, move on, and hit lots more home runs.

This kind of thing would absolutely create a dust-up in the big leagues!

#21 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Again, I'm not accusing Sano of anything here, I don't have any info, but speaking generally, the league self policies here and I have no problem with the Twins, in their judgment, adjusting attitudes to the acceptable norms.

One could argue that the game itself will iron this behavior out. Show up enough guys and someone will fire one up around your shoulder.

That being said, the kid is 20 and it isn't necessary to teach him every lesson the hard way esp. if there's a chance it could end up really setting back his career. I agree he needs to be punished.

#22 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wasn't Sano benched in Fort Myers in June for a few days for some sort of clubhouse issue?

He did something similar but it was after being thrown at so Dougie Baseball gave him a pass.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Notice the coaches and his teammates... That's telling. If the Twins let Sano get away with that, they lose everyone.

#24 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Demanding that your players respect the game is NOT why the Twins have been losing the past couple of years. As Smerf suggests, ML pitchers wouldn't be happy with that kind of behavior, and Sano is putting himself in a position for retaliation (an thus getting hurt).

#25 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Being competitive and confident in your abilities doesn't give you license to play the superstar. Would Harmon Killebrew do that?

#26 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Don't worry about Gardy, he'll be gone before Sano gets to the bigs. As to what Sano did, the delay getting to first seemed excessive and called for a response. You do not see the quality teams or players showing people up. I hate the Yankees but they don't do things like that. Neither do the Dodgers. Did Bonds? yeah, and I rest my case. Sano seems to have a lot of emotion in his game. That's great but it needs to be positively directed. A little showboating now and who knows what in 2 or 3 years. Remember, he was ejected earlier in the year for similar actions.

#27 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Scottie Graham, running back for the Vikings on why he didn't execute some 'cute moves' after scoring a touchdown:
"I went to Ohio State. We were told to act like we've been there and we intend to be there again."

I always appreciated that about him.
Sano looks like that might be the last home run he ever hits.

There are a few MLB pitchers who'd put the next pitch to him in his ear. Then, I suppose, he might think it was a good idea to watch that last home run he ever hit.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

One could argue that the game itself will iron this behavior out. Show up enough guys and someone will fire one up around your shoulder.

That being said, the kid is 20 and it isn't necessary to teach him every lesson the hard way esp. if there's a chance it could end up really setting back his career. I agree he needs to be punished.

I don't think sitting him for a couple of games is going to set back his career or hurt his development. It seems appropriate. Actions like this have caused some pretty big dustups recently... If it happens in the pros, it's the type of thing that can 5 and 10 game suspensions for multiple players... and injuries on top of that.

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

The minor leagues are about learning and growing. Just part of the process. I appreciate that the Twins have the courage to discipline behavior for even the best of prospects. Far better for him to miss a game or two now.

It isn't just about this particular event. It is about expectations. Whether it be running out a batted ball, hustling on and off the field, arriving on time it doesn't matter. If the team has expectations that are not met, discipline like missing a game or two should follow.

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Sit him now so they don't even have to think of sitting him in the bigs.

I have to say I'm excited by the swagger coming through the system. It will do this franchise some good.