Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

The Dominos begin to fall

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee, WI Journal Sentinel, Ryan Braun has been suspended for the remainder of the season for his part in Biogenesis scandal. Mr. Braun will not appeal.
MLB suspends Ryan Braun for remainder of season - JSOnline

My take: Good. I do not see how he washes the egg off of his face on this one. Mr. Braun - No Hall of Fame for You! (if he would have even made it in the first place)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

"I realize now that I made some mistakes"

Just realized that now huh? I wonder what kind of hell that poor drug tester who got raked over the coals feels about your "mistakes" last time.

#3 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Just realized that now huh? I wonder what kind of hell that poor drug tester who got raked over the coals feels about your "mistakes" last time.

I imagine there is a Lawsuit being put together as I type this.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Suspended for the remainder of a lost season. They should all be suspended for the beginning of next season.

#5 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Ryan Braun is a piece of ****. The Lance of Armstrong of baseball. Even Arod has more class.

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Ryan Braun is a piece of ****. The Lance of Armstrong of baseball. Even Arod has more class.

I've heard a lot of people saying this. To me, Arod's "class" was more just because had already beaten the system for several giant contracts and a seat in the record books. I always took it as smug satisfaction for being caught well past when it mattered.

#7 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, Arod is a total punk.

#8 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Braun has always carried himself as a douche bag and I'm not sorry that he finally is getting what he deserves. I would hope for his contract to be voided but I'm certain that someone else would come along and offer him a bigger contract so he'd still win.

#9 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

i guess his name now goes on the leaflet "infamous jewish sports legends"

#10 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,480 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

We may allow some slight extra leeway here, but please keep in mind the TD policy against name calling. I share the sentiment against Braun, but the policy remains in place, even as to this unsavory player.

#11 CairoCrown

CairoCrown

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

i guess his name now goes on the leaflet "infamous jewish sports legends"

Surely you must be joking.

#12 CairoCrown

CairoCrown

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Looks like A-Rod's suspension is not far away.
Alex Rodriguez all but assured of major Biogenesis-related suspension - CBSSports.com

#13 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

MLB now has the evidence needed to prove its cases. (I believe). Most of the remainder will be the length of the suspensions, not the fact they will be suspended.

#14 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Bud Selig just popped his first stiff one in 10 years.

Thanks for the nightmare Tom

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Can't wait to read what all the MVP apologists et. al. have to say about all of this. Geez, maybe he could pass the award along to the drug tester.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

As our local media is wont to do, they won't have to look far to dig up a "local angle" to this rapidly developing story. I'm speaking of course, of the Trevor Plouffe/Ryan Braun connection, per Mackey's article of one year ago http://www.1500espn....an_Braun061512:

"Braun, 28, and Plouffe, who turned 26 on Friday, have known each other for about 15 years. Plouffe played youth baseball with Braun's younger brother Steve, who played in the Brewers system from 2008-2010.

"Plouffe was the 20th overall pick in 2004, and Braun was the fifth overall pick in 2005, and both signed with the same agent after their respective drafts."

"Since Braun was drafted, the two have worked out together every offseason underneath the baseball stadium at Pepperdine University in an old, abandoned gymnasium they call "The Dungeon.""

"And this offseason, when Braun was under fire for failing a performance-enhancing drug test, Plouffe defended his friend adamantly on Twitter and to reporters."

"I think of him like a little brother," Braun said. "I've known him forever, and he's one of my good friends. ... It's been a lot of fun to watch the success he's had. ..."

Trevor has yet to comment on these developments. "Guilt by association" comes naturally to a sensationalistic media. While there is absolutely no evidence concerning Plouffe and PEDs/Biogenesis, will that stop the media from openly speculating on the matter?

#17 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

braun.jpg

#18 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

thank god the only things joe mauer is guilty of is hugging puppies and agonizingly boring interviews.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

thank god the only things joe mauer is guilty of is hugging puppies and agonizingly boring interviews.

Could he just "suspend" doing those interviews?..."agonizing" is the aptly operative adjective here....

although.... I was quite surprised at listening to Terry Steinbach yesterday, postgame, he just single-handedly wrestled the mantle of "Cliche Master" from both Joe and Gardy in one press conference....brutal. And Terry's a guy who invariably has a history of quite insightful interviews.

Plouffe seems to do a good job, Doumit too. I heard Casey Fien for the first time last weekend, he was terrific and he brought out some insight on Ullger prepping the outfielders concerning the nuances of Target Field and situational fielding considerations.

#20 Obie

Obie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

While there is absolutely no evidence concerning Plouffe and PEDs/Biogenesis, will that stop the media from openly speculating on the matter?

It would seem you have just done precisely what you are accusing the media of potentially doing.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

It would seem you have just done precisely what you are accusing the media of potentially doing.

How so? I'm speculating on what could possibly happen based on the history of the media's established history of unfounded speculating- getting an inch worth of story and taking a mile. Are you denying that they have enough rope from Plouffe's and Braun's shared history to pursue this line? The local media love to find a local angle.

Edited by jokin, 22 July 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#22 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

well the brewers are winning, so maybe a good thing?

#23 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Posted ImageAaron Rodgers ✔ @AaronRodgers12
@toddsutton ya I'd put my salary next year on it. #ponyup#exonerated
5:47 PM - 23 Feb 2012

#24 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Posted ImageAaron Rodgers ✔ @AaronRodgers12
@toddsutton ya I'd put my salary next year on it. #ponyup#exonerated
5:47 PM - 23 Feb 2012

given his history of welching on bets, don't count on it.

#25 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

curt schilling accuses braun of being a fraud.

#26 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Not too bad it only took him 3 years to figure out he made "some mistakes". He got off way too easy and it actually helps the Brewers get a better draft pick next year. He should have to sit out another 20-25 games in 2014.

#27 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

well the brewers are winning, so maybe a good thing?

You might want to look at the standings 1 more time. They are tied with the Twins both having 41 wins. Great by golf's scoring system low score is best.

#28 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Peter Gammons was just talking about (on the MLB Network) how there's been a shift in players attitudes, to the point where the Player's Union no longer seeks to defend cheaters in the same capacity. I'd like to hear from more current players decrying what Braun has done. I wonder how the Diamondbacks (at least those on the 2011 playoff team) are gioing to react when the face Braun next.

#29 buckninetyone

buckninetyone

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

You might want to look at the standings 1 more time. They are tied with the Twins both having 41 wins. Great by golf's scoring system low score is best.

i meant tonight. they're up 3-1. wheeeeee!

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Muckracking reporter Nicksaviking has found that Ryan Braun forfiets the remainder of his $8.5 million salary for 2013. In 2014, his contract calls for a $10 million salary. Speculation is that $10 million is larger than $8.5 million.

Edited by nicksaviking, 22 July 2013 - 09:23 PM.