Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Huge shakeup at CR; Hicks promoted along with 3 others

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 KernelsGuy1

KernelsGuy1

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Dalton Hicks, J.D. Williams, Steve Gruver, and Tyler Jones all headed to Fort Myers, according to the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Dallas Gallant and Tim Shibuya promoted from Elizabethton to Cedar Rapids. Jairo Rodriguez back to CR from FM. Last roster spot likely to be filled by the Fort Wayne series on Saturday. Huge news.

#2 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Any inclination of who the last spot will be filled by? Is it likely to be filler or something more substantial?

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Probably frustrating for CR fans, even if they can be hopeful about the new guys coming up. But that's life in a single-A market I guess. And it is so great for the organization, to have promotable guys at each of these levels, rather than guys languishing or treading water as organizational filler.

#4 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Have to think Vargas is heading to AA, along with a couple of others.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

So what happens to the extra players now at Fort Myers.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Probably frustrating for CR fans, even if they can be hopeful about the new guys coming up. But that's life in a single-A market I guess. And it is so great for the organization, to have promotable guys at each of these levels, rather than guys languishing or treading water as organizational filler.

They still have Walker and Polanco, who will now be 1-2 in the league in RBI along with Berrios and Harrison. They still have some pretty big names who now possibly have chips on their shoulders due watching their buddies get promoted while they stay behind.

#7 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

They still have Walker and Polanco, who will now be 1-2 in the league in RBI along with Berrios and Harrison. They still have some pretty big names who now possibly have chips on their shoulders due watching their buddies get promoted while they stay behind.

Some German kid, too. Though I don't know what all the Norwegians in Iowa think about that.

#8 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

How does Walker and Polanco not get moved up!? They need to start eliminating the crap on some of these rosters. I mean, there is some seriously bad players that stick around...why is that! Get rid of some of these guys and move the guys up that are deserving!

#9 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

I am also wondering about the absence of Walker or Polanco in these moves. Can someone clarify for us about these two not earning their callup? (yet)

#10 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Also, I really think Beresford needs to be called up to the Bigs and they should just release/trade Carroll. We are in rebuild mode...no reason to keep the crap we have on this roster anymore.

#11 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Also, I really think Beresford needs to be called up to the Bigs and they should just release/trade Carroll. We are in rebuild mode...no reason to keep the crap we have on this roster anymore.

Please show a little more respect for guys like Carroll. He's a highly skilled, totally professional ballplayer. Teams need guys like that for their diverse skills, and also for the positive influence they can have on young players like Florimon, Dozier, Hicks, Arcia, etc. Even if Beresford is a talented utility infielder, he won't have the credentials of an experienced, knowledgeable veteran like Carroll. When Carroll hangs up his spikes, I hope the Twins are lucky enough to get him as an instructor in their system.

#12 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

How does Walker and Polanco not get moved up!? They need to start eliminating the crap on some of these rosters. I mean, there is some seriously bad players that stick around...why is that! Get rid of some of these guys and move the guys up that are deserving!

even if polanco and walker were promoted now, they'd still likely start next year at ft. myers so their developmental curve will be mostly unchanged. walker, in particular, has some remedial things to work on so their staying in c.r. for a year isn't a bad thing.

#13 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

What remedial things?

#14 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I don't want to take anything away from the players, but I feel my promotion to AA today has been going under the radar on TD and has not gotten the attention it should.

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

I agree they need to find room for Walker, but it likely was due to a space crunch. There's still only three OF spots in Ft. Myers and they likely had to chose between Walker and Williams and Williams has already spent 1 1/2 years in the Midwest league. Williams is justly deserved of a promotion aside from just the service time and the guy knows how to take a walk, something the Twins clearly love.

Polanco is tough, he deserves to be moved too but Petterson and Mejia have been huge surprises at Ft. Myers and they are blocked at NB by Rosario and Santana. They are currently blocked by Escobar and Beresford at Rochester. The following is a rediculous statement: Polanco is blocked by the surprising depth of the middle infielders ahead of him.

Though a special talent needs to be prioritized differently, we shouldn't forget that Arcia last year and Buxton this year were the only HS age offensive players the Twins didn't require spend a full year in Low A in a very, very long time.

Edited by nicksaviking, 16 July 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#16 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I don't want to take anything away from the players, but I feel my promotion to AA today has been going under the radar on TD and has not gotten the attention it should.

It's been a day full of changes; hard to give every move all the attention it deserves. In your case - as a senior member - you're a little old for that level anyway.

#17 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Please show a little more respect for guys like Carroll. He's a highly skilled, totally professional ballplayer. Teams need guys like that for their diverse skills, and also for the positive influence they can have on young players like Florimon, Dozier, Hicks, Arcia, etc. Even if Beresford is a talented utility infielder, he won't have the credentials of an experienced, knowledgeable veteran like Carroll. When Carroll hangs up his spikes, I hope the Twins are lucky enough to get him as an instructor in their system.

'

I don't disagree with that but in the end, this is a business and for the fans, moves should be made that start to improve the ball club for the long-haul. I respect Carroll, but he is what he is at his age. He's a utility player that comes in for defensive purposes or pinch running. Nothing more. Beresford may be part of the future and the sooner he gets up here, the sooner we will know.

#18 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Some German kid, too. Though I don't know what all the Norwegians in Iowa think about that.

Trust me, not too many Norwegians in this part of Iowa....

#19 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Beresford may be part of the future and the sooner he gets up here, the sooner we will know.

I don't think it quite works that way. If Beresford has specific issues to work through at AAA before he's best prepared for the ML, we'd be doing him a disservice.

If Beresford were ready or needing of addition he certainly would have taken Escobar's spot. In any case, Beresford wouldn't be getting any at bats, which is (in part) why Escobar was sent down in he first place.

#20 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Trust me, not too many Norwegians in this part of Iowa....

Yeah... all dem dere Norwegians in the Amana Colonies!

#21 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

The question of the day becomes - Who will be the new 1st baseman in Cedar Rapids on a regular basis?
*Kepler (that would waist his OF growth)
*Goodrum (He needs reps at SS / 3B / & 2B)
*Walker (College 2nd Team All American at 1B - But would waist his athleticism)
I hope they don't go 1st Base by committee
Do I see a Rory Rhodes sighting? :)

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Beresford is not on the 40 man and will be due to be added next season. If he goes up to the bigs now, he has to stay or else they waste an option sending him back down. He's a September callup.

#23 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

[Walker, in particular, has some remedial things to work on]
Just comparing Stats with some of the best in game: I always thought Walker was a mixture of both players. Power and Athletic
[COLOR=#ff0000]Adam Brett Walker II
[/COLOR]K%
22.1%
ISO .258
BABIP .316
OBP .332
SLG% .540
BA .282
wOBA .384
wRC+ 136

[COLOR=#ff0000]Ryan Braun
[/COLOR]K%
ISO .203
BABIP .363
OBP .380
SLG% .507
BA .304
wOBA .375
wRC+ 139

[COLOR=#ff0000]Josh Hamilton (2012)
[/COLOR]K%
ISO ..292
BABIP .320
OBP .354
SLG% .577
BA .285
wOBA .387
wRC+ 140

I'm just saying (K Rate way down) and he compares well with some of the best in the game at the stage he's at RIGHT now. Production is Production

#24 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

What remedial things?

learning to control the strike zone, shortening his swing and cutting down his k rate.

#25 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

[Walker, in particular, has some remedial things to work on]
Just comparing Stats with some of the best in game: I always thought Walker was a mixture of both players. Power and Athletic
[COLOR=#ff0000]Adam Brett Walker II
[/COLOR]K%
22.1%
ISO .258
BABIP .316
OBP .332
SLG% .540
BA .282
wOBA .384
wRC+ 136

[COLOR=#ff0000]Ryan Braun
[/COLOR]K%
ISO .203
BABIP .363
OBP .380
SLG% .507
BA .304
wOBA .375
wRC+ 139

[COLOR=#ff0000]Josh Hamilton (2012)
[/COLOR]K%
ISO ..292
BABIP .320
OBP .354
SLG% .577
BA .285
wOBA .387
wRC+ 140

I'm just saying (K Rate way down) and he compares well with some of the best in the game at the stage he's at RIGHT now. Production is Production

mmkay, let's just say the hyperbole police have issued a warrant for your arrest.

walker compares much more closely to cory vaughn than either of those two. if all things turn out well, we get cory's dad. if they don't, we're stuck with cory.

Edited by Vervehound, 16 July 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,335 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

"Shakeup"? And "huge"? Gee... Read the title and I was thinking that a bunch of players were cut or something. Instead some got well-deserved promotions.

This is the SOP in the minors, not a "shakeup" :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,335 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

mmkay, let's just say the hyperbole police have issued a warrant for your arrest.

walker compares much more closely to cory vaughn than either of those two. if all things turn out well, we get cory's dad. if they don't, we're stuck with cory.

And comparing Walker to a steroids cheater and a druggie does not do him any favors...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

The four guys getting promotions to Ft Myers certainly have earned it. Best of luck to them. I've certainly enjoyed watching them play ball in Cedar Rapids.

Are there other guys who arguably could move up, too? Sure. But there needs to be a spot for them to move up in to and the Twins have to be able to fill every affiliate's roster. That's a bit more complicated than some might think. As the guys who have started out in Elizabethton develop and warrant a promotion, I would expect a few more current Kernels to get moved up, too.

You'd love to watch some of these guys play all summer long, but that's just the nature of minor league baseball. If you've got a good team, guys get promoted. If you've got a lousy team, you're probably stuck with those guys on your roster most of the season.

I do think Gallant and Shibuya may be able to help this pitching staff.

I am a little surprised Rhodes wasn't among the players coming to CR to play 1B. It could be that Kepler's elbow is still keeping him from cutting loose with his throws and he'll just play 1B full time until he's fully healthy.

Rodriguez's return means CR is back to having 3 catchers. Not sure what that accomplishes.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

I can't get over all the love expressed for Beresford. He is powerless and has good but not game-changing speed. He is having a good season, but his OPS is still only .735. I would think his ceiling is a backup middle infielder, and I don't think he'll reach that. Escobar has similar skills, but has demonstrated some pop with the bat and has over a year's worth of big league experience.

#30 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I"m reaching in my comparisons to Braun and Hamilton - but my point is statistically he is probably where the Twins want him to be. Kind of hard to think they expect much more. I think a 22% strike out rate for a power hitter is probably pretty good and better than most MLB Power Stars. Everybody needs command of the strike zone. What makes you say Walkers discipline is so bad to warrant staying in CR. Hicks led the team in K's (Just saying) :). I need more remedial reasoning.......................