Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/15): Back...back...back...back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-back-back-back

#2 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

What value do the Twins see in Kyle Davies? He is nearly 30, he as had no success in the majors. In 7 major league seasons he has had only 2 years in which he has had an ERA under 5. He doesn't strike out many and walks too many. His best WHIP in the majors was 1.45.

He seems to be taking starts away from other players who could use the experience. Why is he in our system?

#3 Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Porcelain horse collar for our vaunted system last night. Hmmmmm.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Four walks is too many, but really not that concerning to me considering the progress he's made. Had he only issued three walks it likely would have been considered by all a successful night for him.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

What value do the Twins see in Kyle Davies? He is nearly 30, he as had no success in the majors. In 7 major league seasons he has had only 2 years in which he has had an ERA under 5. He doesn't strike out many and walks too many. His best WHIP in the majors was 1.45.

He seems to be taking starts away from other players who could use the experience. Why is he in our system?

I get the frustration, but it is also important to have players where they should be, development wise. Is Davies really taking away starts from someone who should be in Ft. Myers? I don't think any of the starters in Cedar Rapids are pushing to be promoted right now (though Lee and Melotakis could move up at some point, and if they do, Davies likely goes). He's an organizational filler right now, that's really it. It's nice that they're giving him an opportunity to pitch again and maybe reclaim some status after missing so much time. Not a big deal right now.

#6 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I get the frustration, but it is also important to have players where they should be, development wise. Is Davies really taking away starts from someone who should be in Ft. Myers? I don't think any of the starters in Cedar Rapids are pushing to be promoted right now (though Lee and Melotakis could move up at some point, and if they do, Davies likely goes). He's an organizational filler right now, that's really it. It's nice that they're giving him an opportunity to pitch again and maybe reclaim some status after missing so much time. Not a big deal right now.

My comment was half frustration and half not understanding the purpose. I assumed he would be filler, but what would he be filling? Don't the Miracle have a 7 man rotation now with Davies in it? Wheeler, Summers, Duffey, Tomshaw, Rodgers, Soliman, and Davies. Or is Rodgers back on the DL, or Summers back in NB?

I'm sure I am mistaking. I am just trying to better understand the process for the minors. I'm still learning, I guess.

Thanks for helping me understand.

#7 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Big shakeup in CR and FTM. not sure of all the changes for the miracle, but Hicks/JD Williams and 2 pitchers move to FTM.

Hicks among 4 Kernels promoted to high-Class A Fort Myers | TheGazette

#8 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Why was Adam Walker not promoted???

#9 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Why was Adam Walker not promoted???

Maybe he is too young for the move. Walker is still 21 years old and will be so until way after the season and instructional season are over. The other 4 guys however are:
Gruever 24
Jones 23
Hicks 23
Williams 22

Maybe the Twins feel they don't need to rush Walker at 21? Just saying................. and I agree Buxton is Buxton (19). He is the exception and not the rule. :)

I thought for sure Walker would go, but then started to think about the Twins as a whole. They prefer safe as opposed to sorry.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Actually they have Chris bermans mic and "back back back back" in the stadium as well