Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Trade Talk: St. Louis Cardinals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Louis-Cardinals

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

I appreciate reading the reports and reading about some sleeper names in other organizations.

My apologies ahead. It isn't my intention to devalue your work with a thought that occurred as I read the current trade article.

The Twins don't fit well with many teams. I wonder if writing from the perspective of the Twins assets might also be worthwhile.

For example, writing from the perspective of Justin Morneau. Headings might include. Why trade him? Why keep him? Which teams might fit? What trades for the last 2 or 3 years might be comps to Justin (to set an expected level of return)? How will the Twins fill the hole when he leaves?

Players might include Morneau, Perkins, Plouffe, Doumit, Carroll, Willingham, Duensing, Burton, Correia and Pelfrey.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,919 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

I cannot help but wonder if you are saving the best fits for last. Boston makes a ton of sense, but you haven't profiled them yet...

As for the guys on this list... I'd be OK with a Jenkins/Duensing swap, but that might be about it. The rest are pretty MEH. That 1B is nice, but if the Twins are going to trade something of value to get a guy of that caliber, I'd rather it be a higher ceiling SS or more SP help.

#4 Red Bull

Red Bull

Banned

• Banned
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Lets be honest the Twins aren't gonna make any trades and if they do it will be a bad trade that leaves us all wondering what happened. If they do make a trade it will be one of our only decent players for a low level prospect that wont amount to anything. Its the Twins way.

#5 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

SeƱior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Lets be honest the Twins aren't gonna make any trades and if they do it will be a bad trade that leaves us all wondering what happened. If they do make a trade it will be one of our only decent players for a low level prospect that wont amount to anything. Its the Twins way.

This seems exceedingly pessimistic. What about the Knoblauch trade? The Pierzynski trade? The Gomez trade? The Milton abd Romero trades worked out well too. Sure, there many trades that did not work out in the Twins' favor, but no franchise has a 100% success rate.

Shameless plug: I'll be recapping all these trades and much, much more at my blog over the next month or so. The link is in my signature and I need to go take a shower.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#6 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Lets be honest

tumblr_m3eq9oV5QB1qcpel0.jpg

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,066 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

You can view the page at Twins Daily - Trade Talk: The St. Louis Cardinals

Could the Trade Talk series be pinned into its own group? I think for the next 2-3 weeks this will be the nexxus topic, especially compared to the on-field performance.

I'm interested in hearing the outlook for trading with the Red Sox and especially, the Orioles. The Birds have a yawning need for another lefty in the bullpen and Jim Johnson is having a near-creaky year as the closer- 6 blown saves and a near-4.00 ERA.

Plus, they are already enamored with former Twins- they could really use a right-handed bat like Trevor Plouffe- he would be clearly a superior option at DH- he would be 4th ranked batter in OPS on the Orioles, at .773.

Two cheap options in areas of need, plus the Orioles are very hungry to build on last season's success.

#8 RodneyKline

RodneyKline

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Give Duensing away to anyone who will take him. He is horrible!

#9 RodneyKline

RodneyKline

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

Trade anyone but sign Morneau. He is our number 2 hitter and #1 RBI guy plus a good defensive player. We cannot trade him!