Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Holiday Mailbag!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...oliday-Mailbag!

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#2 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Whens the last time the Twins brought up a player straight from AA mid season not counting September call ups? Like Pinto would be?

#3 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, I should have said when i think it could happen. I think Pinto would be called up in September.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#4 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hicks hits for about the average of a pitcher. Maybe he should pitch? ;-) Gomez - he never would have blossomed in the Gardenhire/Ryan Twins Way. It has killed the spirit of several that found release and their success when freed from it. Gomez is fortunate he got away.

Edited by h2oface, 06 July 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hicks hits for about the average of a pitcher. Maybe he should pitch? ;-) Gomez - he never would have blossomed in the Gardenhire/Ryan Twins Way. It has killed the spirit of several that found release and their success when freed from it. Gomez is fortunate he got away.

Then why was Gomez mediocre for two seasons with the Brewers?

The most likely scenario is a mix of the Mets rushing Carlos, the Twins continuing where they left off, and Carlos being a bit of a late bloomer.

#6 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

He could reportedly hit high 90s with his fastball in HS.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#7 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

I am a pretty tired of this bit. Yes some folks have moved on from the twins and had some success. How does the rate of this happening with ex-twins compare to other teams? This approach seems easy. Move on please or break it down further and better.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Perhaps, but he hasn't hit right-handed against right-handed pitching since... well, middle school maybe? Now, we are asking Hicks to hit same-handed pitching for the first time in years, and to do it against MLB pitching? It's just not as easy as some are making it out to be.

I guess batting RH against MLB RH knuckleballers doesn't count?

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

It depends on if/when he became closer friends with Ryan Braun...

#10 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I guess batting RH against MLB RH knuckleballers doesn't count?

Perhaps we could convince all righties to convert to knuckleballers.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#11 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

The most likely scenario is a mix of the Mets rushing Carlos, the Twins continuing where they left off, and Carlos being a bit of a late bloomer.

I agree with that. As to the first two years with the Brewers, it just shows how much the Twins messed with a young player trying to make him something he isn't and wasn't to fit the current regimes "way".

#12 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

I agree with that. As to the first two years with the Brewers, it just shows how much the Twins messed with a young player trying to make him something he isn't and wasn't to fit the current regimes "way".

I was watching MLB Quick pitch this morning and they talked about how his previous team beat into his head hit it on the ground and use your speed, hit it on the ground and use you speed, that it took a bit for him to shake it.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

When you kill a spirit it takes three seasons to grow one back. This is elementary stuff - covered in Spirit Husbandry 101.

#14 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

When you kill a spirit it takes three seasons to grow one back. This is elementary stuff - covered in Spirit Husbandry 101.

That was funny!