Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Stephen Gonsalves

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#1 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

In my quest to find a quality southpaw for the Twins I am adopting Gonsalves to go along with Brett Lee as my "adopt-a-prospects".

As most of you know, Stephen was the Twins 4th round pick (110 overall). He slipped in the draft--from a late first or early second round pick because of a minor marijuana incident and questions about his upside.

Stephen is just a kid--he turns 19 on Monday (7/8). He is a big dude--6'5" but very skinny--just 185 pounds. He is from southern California and went to San Diego Central Catholic HS where he was a dominant pitcher his junior year (10-0 with an ERA of 1.91). He had 79Ks in 66IP. His senior year was less dominant due to a suspension (marijuana incident). Still 6 wins with a 2.19 ERA and 55Ks in 48IP. I take HS stats with very few grains...level of competition, etc.

Stephen is now with the GCL Twins but has not made an appearance (at least I cant find one). I will post updates whenever he pitches...

Now for the questions about his upside...Stephen has a build like Randy Johnson but doesn't yet have Randy's fastball...depending on which reports you read--his fastball tops out at 89MPH or 92MPH. Good enough to get HS kids out...but not much else. He has mediocre curve and change and is working on a slider...

Most reports I read project Stephen as a bottom of the rotation starter...like Diamond??? All of this is meaningless now. It is up to Stephen and the Twins pitching gurus to get him to improve his stuff (and control) and probably add 20-30 pounds in the next year or two. IMHO the key year in Stephen's development is probably next season (2014) at Cedar Rapids?? Meanwhile, he will get some chances hopefully in July and August in Florida.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

He's in HS, so adding a few ticks to the FB isn't all that unusual. He could be up to 95 in a few years, or could go the Twins route and be throwing 85.

He had his debut today.

#3 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

He's in HS, so adding a few ticks to the FB isn't all that unusual. He could be up to 95 in a few years, or could go the Twins route and be throwing 85.

He had his debut today.

You beat me to the punch--as it turned out both of my "adopted prospects" pitched today...you are right...he could develop into a 95 MPH fastball pitcher...or the Twins way...run into arm difficulties and become mediocre...for how he did see below...

#4 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Steven Gonsalves update #1

Steven made his professional debut tonight in rainy Florida...it looks like all GCL games were hit by rain. The GCL Twins game vs the GCL BoSox was called after 3 innings with the score 0-0. It will be picked up tomorrow. Stephen pitched 2 innings. He faced 10 batters. He walked 2. He gave up 2 hits. He didn't allow a run. He had 3 groundouts and 3Ks. So his K/BB ratio is 1.5. His groundout to fly ball ratio is infinite (very small sample size). All in all not a bad debut...his record for 2013 is 0-0 with an 0.00 ERA.

#5 SoCal Twin

SoCal Twin

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Stephen's suspension was not due to a marijuana incident but for not telling on his teammates that were drinking beer. Zero tolerance school so even though he didn't partake he was disciplined. Great adoption!

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Stephen's suspension was not due to a marijuana incident but for not telling on his teammates that were drinking beer. Zero tolerance school so even though he didn't partake he was disciplined. Great adoption!

If this was the reason he dropped on a lot of boards, then a lot of teams screwed up...

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Not exactly how he told it to the media after being drafted. His words, paraphrased, were that he went to get his roommate out of a room where people were smoking weed. After he got back to Cali, he lied to the Dean about it and that's why he was suspended.

#8 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Really excited to see this guy get going. I don't mind the suspension issue at all. Showing that kind of loyalty isn't even an issue for me at all.
[SIZE=2]Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood[/SIZE]

#9 SoCal Twin

SoCal Twin

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I believe he was misunderstood the kid he went to get was drunk. There was a separate incident of 4 kids smoking dope and they were dismissed from the team.Yes he did lie cause he didn't want to get teammates in trouble. All in all he learned a valuable lesson. We believe the reason he dropped was due to the fact scouts did not see him throw for 4 weeks leading up to draft. Stephen is a stand up young man who will work hard and make the Twins Nation proud. I know I couldn't be any prouder as his father.

#10 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

SoCal Twin, you must be a one proud papa! Best of luck to Steven! I can't speak for everyone here, but I for one would love to read posts from this young man's father on the regular. Please don't hesitate to provide your prospective as I believe they would offer an interesting perspective.

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I believe he was misunderstood the kid he went to get was drunk. There was a separate incident of 4 kids smoking dope and they were dismissed from the team.Yes he did lie cause he didn't want to get teammates in trouble. All in all he learned a valuable lesson. We believe the reason he dropped was due to the fact scouts did not see him throw for 4 weeks leading up to draft. Stephen is a stand up young man who will work hard and make the Twins Nation proud. I know I couldn't be any prouder as his father.

Thanks for the clarification. After he signed, the text I got was that other scouts were "stunned" he signed so early, when they Twins weren't concerned about getting it done. I thought he was a steal on draft day and pairing him with Stewart is only going to help both of them. Excited to have him in the system and excited to hear from his dad. Keep us posted!

#12 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

What I've been told about him dropping had to do with "not having a chance" to see the curveball come around due to the missed month. I think that lines up pretty well with what Papa said.

#13 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Steven Gonsalves Update #2:

Steven made his second GCL Twins appearance today. It was a near perfect 3 innings. (4-6). He definitely impressed and showed his upside. He got the win--stats for the day--3IP 0 runs, 0H, 1BB, 3Ks, 3 ground outs, 2 flyball outs. A few more appearances like this and he will move up on all of Seth's lists.

Steven's 2013 stats (2 appearances, 1 start). 5IP, 0 runs, 2hits, 6Ks to 3BB, 6 ground outs to 2 fly outs. Obviously his K/BB ratio is 2-1. His ground to fly ratio is 3-1. His WHIP is 1. very small sample size. Officially he is 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

He's fresh out of highschool and doing quite well in the GCL against competition that is on average older than him. That is a great sign. If Gonslaves, Stewart, and Thorpe keep this up, here's to hoping they get some Appy league exposure yet this year. All three of those kids have looked really good thus far.

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Please continue to post. It's always nice seeing the perspective of people close to the players.

#16 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

He's fresh out of highschool and doing quite well in the GCL against competition that is on average older than him. That is a great sign. If Gonslaves, Stewart, and Thorpe keep this up, here's to hoping they get some Appy league exposure yet this year. All three of those kids have looked really good thus far.

Nice to see. I'm looking forward to watching these kids progress through the system. Hopefully up the prospect lists as well.

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Loving the class of 2013 so far.

#18 SoCal Twin

SoCal Twin

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Nice to see stephen off to a good start. I think he will really excel with good coaching. Did anyone see him throw or just reading the box score? Seems like forever since I've seen him pitch.

#19 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Nice to see stephen off to a good start. I think he will really excel with good coaching. Did anyone see him throw or just reading the box score? Seems like forever since I've seen him pitch.

It's funny you say that. Interesting perspective - which I have heard from others - and politically correct.

#20 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Stephen Gonsalves Update 3:

By the way, I write this from the box score and anything I can read about the game...where I live (MD suburbs of Washington DC) the only Twins affiliate that I have a chance of seeing live is New Britain (when they come to Bowie or Harrisburg)...maybe in 2014 I will adopt a prospect from New Britain but I like the ones I have...

Stephen made his 3rd GCL appearance today...he didn't get the start that went to Alex Wimmers (rehab??). Not his best but still pretty DAM good. Stephen pitched 3 innings (5-7) gave up his first professional run (on 2 hits--a single and a double). He struck out 4 and didn't walk anybody (or hit a batter either). He did make an inconsequential error on a pickoff attempt. He had 3 groundball outs and 1 flyout in addition to his 4Ks.

His 2013 (and career) totals--8IP, 1 Run (Earned), 4 hits, 3 BB and 10Ks. So his K/BB ratio is still outstanding (10-3). His ground/fly ratio remains 3/1 (9/3) and his WHIP is a miniscule 0.875. His official line is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA. All of this is outstanding and with each appearance I grow more optimistic about his future in the Twins organization...(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...

Berrios and Buxton moved up to E-Town last year as they made their run into and through the playoffs. I definitely think that is possible, though I don't think either are as polished as Berrios was when he was drafted last year. I think it would make sense for the Twins to see these guys there (in Elizabethton) a little this year to give them a better idea if they could handle a full-season assignment next spring.

#22 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Great to see him having such early success. I hope he can keep it up, and fight through the inevitable tough games that happen to everyone. Sounds like a pitcher with a lot of potential.

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'm wondering if they are going to keep Gonsalves and Stewart together much like they did Mauer and Morneau. The two are already rooming together and both are doing exceptionally well in the GCL thus far. I think they keep them together as long as their performance allows it.

#24 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Stephen Gonsalves Update 3:

By the way, I write this from the box score and anything I can read about the game...where I live (MD suburbs of Washington DC) the only Twins affiliate that I have a chance of seeing live is New Britain (when they come to Bowie or Harrisburg)...maybe in 2014 I will adopt a prospect from New Britain but I like the ones I have...

Stephen made his 3rd GCL appearance today...he didn't get the start that went to Alex Wimmers (rehab??). Not his best but still pretty DAM good. Stephen pitched 3 innings (5-7) gave up his first professional run (on 2 hits--a single and a double). He struck out 4 and didn't walk anybody (or hit a batter either). He did make an inconsequential error on a pickoff attempt. He had 3 groundball outs and 1 flyout in addition to his 4Ks.

His 2013 (and career) totals--8IP, 1 Run (Earned), 4 hits, 3 BB and 10Ks. So his K/BB ratio is still outstanding (10-3). His ground/fly ratio remains 3/1 (9/3) and his WHIP is a miniscule 0.875. His official line is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA. All of this is outstanding and with each appearance I grow more optimistic about his future in the Twins organization...(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...

Hmm...when is NB next in Bowie?

#25 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hmm...when is NB next in Bowie?

Last weekend in August sees NB come to Bowie...my son and I are thinking of going...depending on the arrival of the grandson who is due at that time...

#26 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Also, there is an analyst for ESPN who is so negative about him, we wondered about the analysts motivations. They're supposed to be unbiased, but this analyst was showed the most negative bias toward Stephen of any athlete in recent memory. I wonder if this analyst's opinion affected anybody. Probably not.

I thought he was perhaps the biggest steal of the draft. I like him better than Eades, whom we picked in the second round.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#27 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

I'm wondering if they are going to keep Gonsalves and Stewart together much like they did Mauer and Morneau. The two are already rooming together and both are doing exceptionally well in the GCL thus far. I think they keep them together as long as their performance allows it.

Building a friendly competition sounds like a good plan.

#28 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Stephen Gonsalves update 4:

Stephen made his 4th professional appearance today--closing out the game--pitching the last 3.1 innings. He has now started once, thrown in the middle twice and closed once. The GCL Twins lost the game--it appears their defense was the cause (4 errors leading to 2 unearned runs). This all happened before Stephen took the mound. For the day, Stephen gave up 3 hits and a BB in his 3.1 IP (but no runs). He struck out 2, got 5 ground outs and 1 flyout. Pretty DAM impressive even if not his best performance as a pro.

For 2013 (and his career) Stephen has pitched 11.1 innings given up 1 earned run, 7 hits, 4 BBs and struck out12. That gives him the following outstanding ratios--K/BB 12-4 or 3-1; ground/fly of 14/4 which is 3.5/1 and a WHIP of 0.999. His official line is 1-0 with an ERA of 0.79. Looking more and more like a steal in the 4th round...and it will be interesting to watch him and Kohl Stewart the next 2 or 3 years as they move up the Twins minor league system.

#29 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

Stephen Gonsalves Update 5

Stephen made his 5th professional appearance yesterday for the GCL Twins. It was his second start. He left with a 1-0 lead--but the GCL Twins lost the game as the pitchers who followed including Luke Bard didn't do as well. Stephen continued his impressive career but a couple of bad things showed up. He got 0 (nada, zilch) ground outs. His 9 outs were 3 fly ball outs and 6Ks. He also walked 3 (that's one per inning--not good). Still he only gave up 1 hit and no runs (earned or unearned) as well as averaging 2 strikeouts per inning.

For 2013 (and his career)--Stephen has pitched 14.1 innings (seems to be limited to 3IP per appearance) while giving up one earned run and 8 hits. He has walked 7 and struck out 18. That gives him the following outstanding ratios: K/BB 18-7 or 2.57. Ground to fly of 14/7 or 2; and a WHIP of 1.047. (All of these dropped after yesterday's appearance but are still outstanding. His official line is 1-0 with an ERA of 0.63.

By the way, has anybody else had trouble with extremely slow loading of Twins Daily??

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm no smarty pants computer guy, but I assume the slow loading is probably due to high traffic due to the trade deadline. It was also slow on draft day.

The GB% is a red flag, though I like the K%. Of course in short season league the K% is high for most guys. We'll see if that GB% improves once more guys start putting the ball in play. Or hopefully not.