Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins to sign Lewin Diaz

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...sign-Lewin-Diaz

#2 Red Bull

Red Bull

Banned

• Banned
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Typical Twins signing, they take the cheap route. I mean they have cut 40+ million in payroll the last few years so they have saved a ton of money so why not spend all of your pool and then some ot get one of the top 5 players?

#3 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Typical Twins signing, they take the cheap route. I mean they have cut 40+ million in payroll the last few years so they have saved a ton of money so why not spend all of your pool and then some ot get one of the top 5 players?

Maybe on their board he was. Twins had Stewart at #2.

#4 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

@Red Bull - I feel the same way. I don't care about the cut payroll, but when you have one of the highest amounts of money to spend on the international market, you go with the 10th best prospect? Disappointed. Sign a top guy.

#5 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Takes two to tango, as they say. Sadly, fans are not one of the two. Plus, it's 5:30pm on the first day of the signing period. Who says they won't sign more guys?

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Might it not be even harder to project 16 year olds than 18 year olds?

I'd like to see longitudinal data on the "best 16 year olds" after they play 10 years of ball.

#7 Ozziedavisfan

Ozziedavisfan

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

you're all so negative this is um good news

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Because you don't want to throw all of your eggs in one 16-year-old basket. The success rate of international signings who signed for more than $1 million is not real high. Michael Ynoa, I believe, is still the highest international signing (not from Japan or Cuba) and he just got promoted to Hi-A. he may still be good, but we'll see. A lot of the successful international signings were not the highly coveted ones from there. I like the way they're doing this now, and I think it's smart to spread out the money.

Also, signings in the DR or Venezuela or wherever are based on relationships that develop with 12-13-14 year olds. If you develop that relationship with the right players that become the top players in a class, they're there.

I know that they were all signed in a year before the international bonus limit, but would you rather have just Miguel Sano, or Sano, Kepler and Polanco? In today's system, would you give Sano 100% of the limit, or sign him for what you're able to sign him for (less) and get other guys.

It's a tough system and you have to be wise with the money allocated, but you have to sign more than one or two. Also, the lists are just lists. At the end of the day, they're fun but don't necessarily mean much. We don't know what the difference is (or will be) between the #1 guy and the #10 guy and the #15 guy and the #20 guy. It's 100% about projection at this point.

And, as far as him being a singles-hitter in games despite power potential, look no further than Travis Harrison. he was drafted and signed to a big bonus a couple of years ago. Last year at E-Town, he hit for average and people wondered where the power was. When I watched him take BP and then talked to him and to Jake Mauer in April about his power, they talked about it being a process. Learning how to get back spin, learning pitches to go after, all of that is developed. that's certainly not going to be developed as a 15-16 year old.

#9 rickyhawaii

rickyhawaii

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

love this signing, and Diaz is one of the top hitting prospects in this class. Hopefully he can develop into a legit power hitting RF or 1b. The plus side also is they can still sign some other good prospects. Haven't seen Mayky Perez or Jen-Ho Tseng signed yet. Hoping the Twins get one of those guys. The Dutch 3b seems interesting as well.

#10 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

How is paying $1.4m to a guy they really liked - when no one else was going seven figures - taking the cheap route? I still think we'll see the Twins sign a few more guys for half a million.

This signing period doesn't end until June 15, 2014 and many guys haven't turned 16 yet.

#11 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Like it. Not too bummed about missing out on the consensus "top guys" because #10 is still very good in my mind. Want some pitchers now.

#12 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

How is paying $1.4m to a guy they really liked - when no one else was going seven figures - taking the cheap route? I still think we'll see the Twins sign a few more guys for half a million.

This signing period doesn't end until June 15, 2014 and many guys haven't turned 16 yet.

Nailed it. $1.4 million is a lot of green.

#13 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

They've also signed Roni Tapia.

Twins Agree To Deal With Roni Tapia - BaseballAmerica.com

[h=1][/h]

#14 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

There must be a couple of players the Dodgers want. They took on salary to get the some of the Cub's international signing money.

#15 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I love it how the team signs a top talent and people still complain about them being cheap. They have also said that they will spend all of their bonus pool money. This comes a year after signing Minier and Thorpe and spending all of their bonus money. I think some will never be happy.

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

I like them going after a 1B power prospect. I really wish they would've gone heavier after MI.

#17 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Great. I've never seen him play a game, and I have no idea about his tools, level of competition he faced, mental make up, or anything else. Just some reports from a few guys who are probably regurgitating the same stuff. Many folks need to remember agents/other teams/scouts/families often play games by what they say to the media.

So....Hope he pans out. What else can/should be said about this?

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,477 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

I missed this thread until now. Is there a reason it doesn't go directly to the minors section? I often don't see the front page articles, and feel like I was wasting my time posting links on the majors page.
Papers...business papers.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,782 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

I love it how the team signs a top talent and people still complain about them being cheap. They have also said that they will spend all of their bonus pool money. This comes a year after signing Minier and Thorpe and spending all of their bonus money. I think some will never be happy.

This.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,782 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I like them going after a 1B power prospect. I really wish they would've gone heavier after MI.

I'm hoping they have a couple of SS before this signing period is over. They have a lack of decent options at that position and that's something that Latin American in particular seems to naturally develop.