Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Fastball key to Samuel Deduno's success

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...eduno-s-success

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, Parker, for another great explanation of techniques.

#3 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

I think that he is part of our roation next year, and will be a positive contributer. Hopefully Gibson comes in a is solid as well which would make me more comfortable with the idea of our 2014 rotation being made up of Deduno, Correia and Gibson. If the Twins are willing to sign a #1 or #2 SP in free agency next year, we could have the makings of an above average rotation. I'm not holding my breath however.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,334 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Thanks Parker... Nice work... I would like to request an analysis of Sam's mechanics from you.

Is his strike foot placement consistent?
Is he achieving a consistent release point over the top of the shoe and driving and reaching for home plate?
Is he keeping his line to the catcher and not allowing his body to be closed or fly open?

This is where control problems are found and this is why I'm optimistic about Deduno and his future with the Twins.

Not all Pitchers figure it out and those that can't end up on the scrap heap... But a motivated professional can nail down their mechanics by working at it and I am seeing improvement from Sam this year so I do assume that he is working on it.

If he can nail down his mechanics. All his past metrics won't matter anymore. He will be brand new and we will have found a top flight pitcher in my opinion.

Anyway... Nice Work... The information on his grip is valuable information for guys like me that do a little coaching.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#5 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hopefully Gibson comes in a is solid as well which would make me more comfortable with the idea of our 2014 rotation being made up of Deduno, Correia and Gibson.

Throw Meyer in there.

#6 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Throw Meyer in there.

Unless Meyer kills it in Spring Training, probably won't see him on parent club until 2nd half 2014. This is my guesstimate though............

#7 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Definitely getting harder to not take Deduno serious as a big league pitcher. I like him and would love to see him stick.

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

I have a hard time seeing this success continue. He has such a documented history by now that a nice string of starts doesn't alter my opinion of him. I'd rather be watching Albers struggle than Deduno have some success.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Unless Meyer kills it in Spring Training, probably won't see him on parent club until 2nd half 2014. This is my guesstimate though............

The injury really derailed things. If not for that, I think we would have seen him in September.

#10 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

The injury really derailed things. If not for that, I think we would have seen him in September.

Interesting. Skipping AAA completely or getting a few starts in there before September? He was on track that fast?