Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

How would Sano do in the HR Derby?

futures game hr derby miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

It was announced earlier this week that Miguel Sano will be in New York during the All-Star break to take part in MLB's Future Game.

This got me to thinking...

What if Sano was able to compete in the HR Derby? How would he do against some of the best sluggers currently in baseball?

Let the discussion begin.

#2 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Win.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

They really need to do a "futures" league home run derby as well.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

He'd do fine. His power is real and he'd just have someone throwing him meatballs. Unless the situation got to him, he'd hit a ton of them.

#5 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Since the pitches are thrown by a guy who's trying to let you hit HR's Sano would probably do quite well. I really wouldn't be surprised.

#6 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if he did quite well. His power seems to be for real. Even in AA where is average hasn't picked up yet, when he does connect, he hits it a ton.

#7 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Judging by tonight's game...real well if he could get the Indianapolis pitchers to throw to him! 2 HRs, a single & a line out to deep center. 5 RBI's.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Except in the odd circumstance when Mauer is invited to compete, everyone in the HR derby is some degree of a slugger. Not sure I'd be inclined to think Sano would be automatic when Matt Kemp has a total of three HR in two derbies. Robinson Cano went from winning it in 2011 to hitting no HR in 2012. For a pretty straight-forward contest of a singular attribut, it's a pretty fluky competion.

#9 Red Bull

Red Bull

Banned

• Banned
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

Usualy the best HR derby guys are the guys who can hit the ball the furthest, which isnt always the guys with the most HRs. Sano can hit the ball super far. Like this year people look at Chris Davis and see his 28Hrs and think he would be teh best HR Derby guy. If only they knew this year and last year combined he has 0 HRs over 450ft. Yes he can hit HRs but he doesnt have the same power as Cabrera, Trumbo, Cespedes, Bautista, Encarnacion and Prince Fielder who all have 3+ 450ft HRs over last year and this combined(I only did AL HR derby candidates). Stanton is a guy I think Sano will be like, he has by far the most power in the MLB. Last year alone Stanton had 7HRs over 450ft, the next closes is Cabrera who had 6 over 450ft last and this year combined. Sano will be just like Stanton but some have said he has more power than Stanton, hopefully its true.
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!"[/FONT][/COLOR]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: futures game, hr derby, miguel sano