Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Twin Cities Historic Ballparks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davidjcampbell

davidjcampbell

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

I will be watching today's game later tonight, so in my attempt to avoid all live media, but get my baseball fix in today I came across an article in Minnesota History the quarterly MN Historical Society magazine. I searched for the article online to post but sadly it is a subscription only situation with no online articles - dead trees only. While at first I was unsuccessful, I was able to find a second and equally interesting article by the same authors titled Designing the National Pastime by Kristin M. Anderson & Christopher W. Kimball.

http://collections.m...i07p338-352.pdf

The articles indicate they are working on a book, but the article linked above is from Fall 2003 and at this point I cannot tell when it will be out.

#2 TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

TwinsArmChairGM_Jon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for posting this.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yes, thank you very much for passing this along, I'm looking forward to reading this...

For the record, if you're looking for a LOT more about early baseball history in MN (including quite a bit about the ballparks), you might want to order (either from Amazon or your local library) Stew Thornley's Baseball in Minnesota: The Definitive History. Thornley is a local treasure - fanatical about this stuff and getting the details right, but also a good storyteller. He has done several stories for TwinsCentric when we were putting out the Twins annual.

In fact, come to think about it, one of them was also a stadium story. If you have any of those Twins Annuals, you can find another story in there, too.

#4 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Yes, I read that article as well and thanks for posting this one! If you're not a subscriber most libraries have a copy of Minnesota History. Also this might have been posted elsewhere on this site but there is a baseball lecture on Tuesday (April 9) at the Minneapolis Central Library. Here's the link- scroll about three fourths down on this page:

http://www.hclib.org...n.cfm?Agency=ce

There is also a baseball exhibit at the Minneapolis Central Library too- play ball!

#5 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the link Sarah. That's this Monday night folks. The presenters are:
Stew - who I talked about above
Dan Levitt - who is the editor of the Mpls SABR conventions publication this year (with a TON of history) and
Tom Swift - who wrote Chief Bender's Burden: The Silent Struggle of a Baseball Star (The HOF pitcher Bender was from Minnesota)

It's going to be in the downtown Mpls public library, opens a baseball exhibit, and here's the info copied from the link above:

Talkin' Baseball
Room Location: Pohlad Hall
Tuesday, April 10, 7–8:30 p.m.
Join local authors and baseball historians Stew Thornley, Dan Levitt and Tom Swift in a discussion of the history and quirks of baseball. Presented to kick off the Bank of America exhibit “Baseball: America's Game” in the Cargill Hall.
Sponsored by the Friends of the Hennepin County Library.
Posted Image Tell a Friend