Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Minnesota Twins' Joe Mauer is the Greatest Power-Hitting Catcher in Team History

joe mauer joe mauer power minnesota twins twins catchers
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SoCalTwinsfan

SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

I looked at how Mauer's power numbers rank among all catchers in Twins history and beyond.

Mauer has hit 102 home runs in his career, 88 of them as a catcher. Earl Battey had 75 home runs as a catcher for the Twins and Tim Laudner had 74. No other player had more than 50 home runs as a catcher for the Twins.
In fact, only 13 players have hit more home runs as a Twin than Mauer, no matter what their position.

You can read the rest of Minnesota Twins' Joe Mauer is the Greatest Power-Hitting Catcher in Team History at Yahoo! Sports.

Is Mauer's power underrated? Is he still overpaid?
I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

#2 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Of course, Laudner had his 74 HR in 2116 PA. Mauer has 3825 PA and 14 more home runs, so no. Even Battey got to his number in 700 fewer PAs. Mayer is not the greatest power hitting catcher if you consider HR as your litmus. He's not overpaid in the sense of how does he compare to his peers and how they are paid, no.

#3 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Of course, Laudner had his 74 HR in 2116 PA. Mauer has 3825 PA and 14 more home runs, so no. Even Battey got to his number in 700 fewer PAs. Mayer is not the greatest power hitting catcher if you consider HR as your litmus. He's not overpaid in the sense of how does he compare to his peers and how they are paid, no.

Laudner had 77 HR, not 74 and Mauer has 25 more HRs than Laudner, not 14 more.

I'm pretty sure if he meant home run hitter he would have said that instead of power hitter. Mauer also has almost 3 times as many doubles as Laudner and 4 times as many triples.

Edited by ThePuck, 27 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#4 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Mauer is the 2nd best hitting catcher in the history of baseball.

#5 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Mauer is the 2nd best hitting catcher in the history of baseball.

Piazza?

I'd say that's pretty good company.

#6 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Piazza?

I'd say that's pretty good company.

anyone ever heard of johnny bench?

#7 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

anyone ever heard of johnny bench?

Sure, big fan. I have his autograph, actually. But Piazza's career OPS was more than .100 points higher. Johnny Bench was great, and a true hall of famer, but I don't think he's in quite the same offensive class as Piazza.

Besides, Joe Mauer's numbers look better than Bench's, albeit in fewer seasons. If Joe Mauer can stay roughly consistent for another five years (and lets' face it, we're not too worried about Joe's consistency), he'll also graduate to another offensive class and leave Johnny Bench behind.

#8 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Mauer fans = LAME

#9 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Mauer fans = LAME

Yes, it's quite lame to like the best player on your favorite team.

Here's your sign.

#10 drunksam

drunksam

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

It will be a sweet day when the Twins retire Greg Gagne's number.
Better looking with the lights out.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,959 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Sure, big fan. I have his autograph, actually. But Piazza's career OPS was more than .100 points higher. Johnny Bench was great, and a true hall of famer, but I don't think he's in quite the same offensive class as Piazza.

Besides, Joe Mauer's numbers look better than Bench's, albeit in fewer seasons. If Joe Mauer can stay roughly consistent for another five years (and lets' face it, we're not too worried about Joe's consistency), he'll also graduate to another offensive class and leave Johnny Bench behind.

It's a mistake to use straight OPS when comparing players of different eras. Sure, Piazza was an offensive monster. So was everybody else in that era and many of them played in smaller ballparks, to boot.

Career OPS+:
Piazza: 143
Bench: 126
Mauer: 136

Piazza is still tops but the gap narrows quite a bit once you adjust for park and league.

#12 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

It will be fun to see where Mauer's numbers end up at the end of his career.

Twins fans are lucky to get to watch him on a daily basis.

#13 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

It will be fun to see where Mauer's numbers end up at the end of his career.

Twins fans are lucky to get to watch him on a daily basis.

Except for the idiots who only care that he makes $23M/year and hate him for it. Too concerned with money to enjoy what a great player he is. Their loss.

#14 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Mauer > Bench

#15 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

It's a mistake to use straight OPS when comparing players of different eras. Sure, Piazza was an offensive monster. So was everybody else in that era and many of them played in smaller ballparks, to boot.

Career OPS+:
Piazza: 143
Bench: 126
Mauer: 136

Piazza is still tops but the gap narrows quite a bit once you adjust for park and league.

Piazza is in a class of his own to be honest, 4 years of 1.000 + OPS and another 7 of .900+ OPS. Also for as much **** as he got of his defense, he was a life time 1.0 defensive WAR back there.

#16 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Also how the hell does defensive WAR work for a catcher? Mauer is not playing a ton of games behind the plate this year and already is on pace for by far his best defensive season of all time, that just doesn't seem right to me to be honest and perhaps the eyeball test is the true way to measure a catcher defensively.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,959 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Also how the hell does defensive WAR work for a catcher? Mauer is not playing a ton of games behind the plate this year and already is on pace for by far his best defensive season of all time, that just doesn't seem right to me to be honest and perhaps the eyeball test is the true way to measure a catcher defensively.

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe catcher WAR is worth a damn.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,959 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

On the topic of catchers, I was thinking "man, Pudge (I-Rod Pudge) was so good for so long" and then I looked at his stat line.

Yikes. His offense fell off a cliff after his age 32 season. I knew it dropped a lot but I had no idea it dropped that low that quickly. He went from a 137 OPS+ in his age 32 season to never cracking 100 again in his career.

#19 SoCalTwinsfan

SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Laudner had 77 HR, not 74 and Mauer has 25 more HRs than Laudner, not 14 more.

I looked strictly at home runs as a catcher. Mauer has 88 as a catcher and 14 as a DH/1B.
I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

#20 BHtwins

BHtwins

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Josh Gibson was the greatest power hitting catcher of all time. He raked MLB pitching in documented exhibitions. Wasnt his fault they wouldnt let him play.

Mauer is probably a top-5 catcher now maybe top 3 of all time. Almost certainly will be a hall of famer if he can stick around and pad his stats.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, joe mauer power, minnesota twins, twins catchers