Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Which Pitcher Will Lose His Job?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bwille

bwille

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...son’s-Promotion

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I think that Correia will go sooner than later. If not soon enough one of Walters and Diamond will get demoted to AAA. I would like to see the Twins shop Diamond, but this will be too much out of the box thinking for them...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,642 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

What are you going to get in trade for a rule-5 guy who had one year that might have been pitching over his head? Sure, shop him, shop anyone - but don't be surprised when the offers amount to waiver-wire fodder.

#4 wabene

wabene

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Everybody is so down on Pelfry when he is the one proven starter outside Correia. I think he is over the hump with rehab with next year being even better. Just like Nathan. What I don't understand is hanging with these AAA talent guys like PJ the Aussie.

#5 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I think Pelfrey will be sent to AAA for extended rehab so the decision time can be delayed. We have no off-days until the All Star break so when Pelfrey is proven ready, we may go to a 6 man rotation until the break. Also, it is possible that they may want to bring back Worley for a possible trade audition, and in that case, I suspect Walters is the most vulnerable starter.

#6 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

There are no bad decisions, all these guys are replaceable and if Correia brings in anything decent they should trade him while his stock is high. I would option Walters if Correia isn't traded but anyone will do.

#7 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I may be mistaken, but I think Walters and Deduno may be out of options. If that's the case, I'd predict Walters goes to the bullpen and either Theilbar or Fien goes to Rochester.

#8 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

I don't see why we'd keep Walters up. He's not a MLB caliber player. I'm really low on Scott Diamond and I wouldn't rule him out by any means. Deduno, Correia, and Gibson will probably be the only 3 whose spots have solid footing. Pelfrey should have an advantage over these other guys. It seems likely he'd get a spot when he's healthy. Between Worley, Diamond, Walters, Hernandez, and Albers, it's probably Diamond in the last spot. Although, Worley could fight his way back in if he looks better in AAA.

#9 enge0280

enge0280

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Why not move Diamond to long relief and cut/demote one of the bullpen guys? Is that an option? It seems as if Diamond usually holds his own the first time through the order, and usually tops out at being good for maybe 4 innings. Isn't that what you look for in a long reliever?

Who is better for that role, Swarzak or Diamond? Or is there someone else they could demote in that regard?

#10 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I may be mistaken, but I think Walters and Deduno may be out of options. If that's the case, I'd predict Walters goes to the bullpen and either Theilbar or Fien goes to Rochester.

Fien is arguably our third best relief pitcher in both makeup and stuff. He is consistently in the game in the 7th or 8th inning in high leverage situations getting the job done. Simply put, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Theilbar hasn't given up a run in his first 14.2 innings pitched. In all honesty, he's looking better than Brian Duensing at this point but isn't trusted yet by Gardy in those high-leverage situations. I'd be very surprised if he's going anywhere either.

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Every pitcher but Gibson should go. But we all know that won't happen.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Everybody is so down on Pelfry when he is the one proven starter outside Correia. I think he is over the hump with rehab with next year being even better. Just like Nathan. What I don't understand is hanging with these AAA talent guys like PJ the Aussie.

You do realize that Pelfrey has been one of, if not the, worst starters in all of baseball this season, right?

People are "hanging with" unproven guys because, let's face it, they can't be much worse than Mike and have the possibility of being a whole lot better.

#13 jun

jun

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

I believe Albers would be promoted to the major league rotation soon.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Tougher question: Which pitcher will KEEP his job?

#15 jun

jun

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Why not move Diamond to long relief and cut/demote one of the bullpen guys? Is that an option? It seems as if Diamond usually holds his own the first time through the order, and usually tops out at being good for maybe 4 innings. Isn't that what you look for in a long reliever?

Who is better for that role, Swarzak or Diamond? Or is there someone else they could demote in that regard?

Swarzak is a good long reliever, I would take him over Diamond.
I would not move anyone in the bullpen since they have all been relatively solid this season. (Duensing has been a bit shaky recently, maybe Diamond could take his spot since they are both lefty? I doubt Gardenhire would let that happen.)

Edited by jun, 27 June 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#16 jun

jun

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Every pitcher but Gibson should go. But we all know that won't happen.....

Deduno deserves a spot in the rotation. Albers deserves to be promoted.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

What are you going to get in trade for a rule-5 guy who had one year that might have been pitching over his head? Sure, shop him, shop anyone - but don't be surprised when the offers amount to waiver-wire fodder.

I bet Billy Bullock would be available.

#18 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Deduno deserves a spot in the rotation.

For now. I don't expect you will have the same opinion in a month.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Pelfrey may get a rehab start in AAA. It's allowed by CBA, but he only be down there for so long (I think 5 days, but I could be wrong). At that point he has to get the call and someone will need to be optioned. If Pelfrey has options, it could be him, but I suspect he's going to get every opportunity to be showcased prior to the deadline. I suspect KC gets traded, but I doubt it happens within the next week. Like others said, I don't think Deduno should be sent down (yet), and if he has no options, then you are stuck with him... So it's Diamond or Walters. I personally would just DFA Walters, but I could see using an option on Diamond in order to buy more time for him. Once either Pelfrey or KC gets traded, then Diamond comes back.

#20 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

I think Ryan, Gardy and Andy should make it clear that nobody's job is safe - theirs, the starting pitchers, the relief pitchers and the position players - and that everyone should play accordingly or risk being replaced. I suppose Mauer and Perkins are the exceptions, but everybody else is fair game. I understand that everybody slumps, but when do you finally realize that, hey, this guy's not that good! Play like you're fighting for your job, your season, your career or risk being replaced. This team has no room for complacency.

#21 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Like others said, I don't think Deduno should be sent down (yet), and if he has no options, then you are stuck with him...

What would make teams want to take him now when they didn't last year?
Do or do not. There is no try.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

What would make teams want to take him now when they didn't last year?

Interest from the WBC.

#23 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Pelfrey may get a rehab start in AAA. It's allowed by CBA, but he only be down there for so long (I think 5 days, but I could be wrong).

Pitchers can be assigned to the minors for rehab for up to 30 days. That's on top of time spent on the DL before rehab starts. Plenty of time to audition someone else.

#24 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Interest from the WBC.

Plus, he hasn't been that bad this year. 3.72 ERA, 110 ERA+, 1.349 WHIP - somebody would pick him up.

#25 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think if we sent Deduno down, he'd be eaten up on waivers fast.
However, P. J. might make it through. I think he would.

#26 BabyJesusBuxton

BabyJesusBuxton

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I don't see anyone currently in the starting rotation either at AAA or with the Twins replacing one of the current bullpen members barring injury or trading Burton/Perkins. The bullpen has been a large factor in the amount of success the Twins have had and I don't see why Gardy/TR would want to mess with what has been a very good unit.

If one of the AAAA pitchers without options has to be sent down and doesn't clear waivers it just makes the short term starting picture clearer until the prospects arrive.

#27 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

I think Correia and Deduno are safe for the time being. After that, all three of the guys could be gone by the all-star break.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#28 gil4

gil4

Not Irrationally Optimistic Anymore (til next year)

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think we found the answer to this question:

Twins Daily - Who Is The Odd Arm Out?

Not that there has to be just one answer.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think it's safe to say Walters is next in line to lose his job.

#30 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well....that "problem" is solved.