Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Oswaldo Arcia as a Rookie of the Year Candidate?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

While I was watching the game I overheard Dick N' Bert talking about how Oswaldo Arcia is a legitimate ROY candidate in the American League. I played it off as homerism, but there really isn't anybody else that strikes me as a potential award winner...

Y! SPORTS

With the evidence above, you guys think there's a shot he can bring home the award? Or will somebody like Jurickson Profar heat up and take it away from him?

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

As you noted....

It's an impressive line that gets better as Arcia leads all American League rookies with six home runs and 21 RBI after beginning the season at Triple-A Rochester.

He's more than a legitimate candidate - he might be the frontrunner.

We talked a little about this on the GATG podcast today - we may not be celebrating what is going on right in front of our eyes enough. Arcia could be pretty special.

I wonder if there isn't something here about prospects and how we rank them based on their history. Arcia was ranked #41 overall because....well, looking back it's not exactly clear why. He's super young. Had success at every level. Had all the tools. But he wasn't super-highly regarded when he first signed, so at every step he's had to climb the prospect ladder as opposed to starting at the top.

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

I love his approach at the plate. Saturday night the PBP comped him to Carlos Gonzalez, which I really like.

Lots
of similarities.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

As Gardy pointed out in the post-game, he is really good with a bat in his hands. So far, he has had some rough moments in the field and on the bases, but those problems look like they can be fixed, and he is having better and better at-bats. I just hope he doesn't get too big and can continue to play a serviceable corner outfield.

#5 mnsports255

mnsports255

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

The thing I like about Arcia is how he works the count well, and has a patient, but not an overly relaxed approach at he plate. He swings at most of the stuff thrown in the zone, and rarely chases the junk.

The 2nd part is pretty obvious in his power. He has immense power to all fields, and hits for average and power. Even when he gets out, he makes it a loud out.

His fielding has overall been looking really solid, even if he doesn't possess top speed. Has a nice arm.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,117 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm Impressed... I really didnt understand why he was sent back down to Rochester for a spell. He appeared to be the 2nd best hitter on the team when it happened.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#7 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

As you noted....

He's more than a legitimate candidate - he might be the frontrunner.

We talked a little about this on the GATG podcast today - we may not be celebrating what is going on right in front of our eyes enough. Arcia could be pretty special.

I wonder if there isn't something here about prospects and how we rank them based on their history. Arcia was ranked #41 overall because....well, looking back it's not exactly clear why. He's super young. Had success at every level. Had all the tools. But he wasn't super-highly regarded when he first signed, so at every step he's had to climb the prospect ladder as opposed to starting at the top.

What I like about him is that he exceeds expectations. Only the hardcore Twins fans knew about him a season ago and even this year it would have been understandable if he struggled a bit rather than showing the power display he's put on so far.

A lot of commenters on the Yahoo! article have been saying that he's only leading cause there isn't anybody else...which is true, but I think it's more of what Arcia has done so far and what he could accomplish if he keeps this up.

I think his development is every bit as exciting as some of the other top prospects in the system.

#8 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I love his approach at the plate. Saturday night the PBP comped him to Carlos Gonzalez, which I really like.

Lots
of similarities.

I think Car-Go has way more speed than Arcia does, but the power is definitely there. After hearing Radcliff mention the Abreu comparison, I found that to be true with the way he works the count and makes solid contact with the ball.

#9 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Arcia appears to be the next coming of Jason Kubel. His minor league numbers look very similar. Hopefully he can become the player we hoped Kubel would be prior to his injury. Kubel gave us several very good years, but never produced quite to the level I hoped for.

#10 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

I believe Arcia will be able to provide a decent LF or RF at the major league level, but in truth, his value is in his bat. His RBI at bat today was brilliant and really reflects his confidence as a hitter IMO. Got behind, worked the count back to force the pitcher to throw a strike and then knocked in a two-out RBI to tie the game. Fantastic.

#11 mnsports255

mnsports255

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Not that it counts for much, but I'm one who has been very high on this guy for quite some time!

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think Car-Go has way more speed than Arcia does, but the power is definitely there. After hearing Radcliff mention the Abreu comparison, I found that to be true with the way he works the count and makes solid contact with the ball.

Abreu used to have considerable speed too. I agree that the speed element isn't there with him, but a lot of the other numbers are similar.

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

I love how he comes to the plate and just wants to mash the ball, without being stupid about it. He has that confidence about him that just seems to say to the pitcher "Go ahead, throw a strike", he's got game, that's for sure.

#14 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

It's in the bag already: Jose Iglesias, Red Sox, 3B and SS. He's over 1000.00 OPS, good fielder, and most importantly, plays on the East Coast for a 1st place team so he'll get all the Elite Media votes for ROY.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'm kind of sad Iglesias went on a tear this last call-up. I really thought if he flopped this last time he was going to be a prime guy to try and buy-low on. But not the way he's hitting now.

#16 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Not that it counts for much, but I'm one who has been very high on this guy for quite some time!

People have been high on Arcia for a long time. You have to remain cautious about guys after the Appy League, cause numbers are inflated. Then he didn't spend much time in Beloit before he went to FM. He raked there, but kind of always was in Hicks' shadow. He raked at NB, but Hicks turned it on and Colabello was a feel-good story. He's always moved so quick too. The other thing is he's been consistently good in almost a Mauerish way. You stop singing a guy's praises when you come to expect great numbers from day-to-day to month-month and year-to-year.

#17 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Love Arcia. Had him as my #1 prospect coming into the season. He is going to be scary to pitch to in future years. In 2015 imagine pitching to Rosario, Mauer, Sano, Arcia. Man, that will not be a walk in the park.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#18 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

Right now, he's the one player that I give 100% attention to, when he is at bat. Joe gets another single. Ho Hum. Morneau doesn't hit a homer. Willingham, Plouffe and Doumit are maddeningly inconsistent. When Arcia comes to bat, I start smiling in anticipation.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,980 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

I started calling Arcia Kubel-Lite about three or four years ago. At the time, he had shown power, a little bit of speed, good defense, and the ability to hit for average. They both weren't very good against left-handed pitching. It was about a year ago at this time that he was promoted to New Britain and for the first time, he hit lefties well. Since he's been up, I think he's done a nice job and looks solid at the plate against southpaws.

The Abreu comp has been around for a couple of years. In general, I think it's a decent comp. Abreu was much more patient at the plate, and was a very good base runner. Other than that, they are pretty similar.

As for Rookie of the Year, I would say that Arcia has as much of a chance as anyone. Profar could take off. Wil Myers is possible if the Rays take off and he meets potential. A guy like Justin Grimm could get enough Wins with the Rangers to be inconsideration. But Arcia is certainly the favorite at his point.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,980 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

We've certainly been aware of Arcia for a long time. I've likely ranked him too low in previous years.

Preseason 2010 - 24 - It was following his season in the GCL, before his breakout in Elizabethton.
Preseason 2011 - 10 - This was after the E-Town monster season. This was too low, for sure, but my excuse is that Angel Morales scared me off of making too big of a deal out of Appy League numbers. When I wrote about him and had more and more scouting reports, I know he should have been up a few more spots.
Preseason 2012 - 3 - I had him behind Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario, which is ironic because both of them were coming off of huge seasons in the Appy League. But they did have pretty huge seasons, bigger than even Arcia's.
Preseason 2013 - 3 - He's behind Sano and Buxton, and I'm comfortable with that. Arcia would be #1 on several rosters.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Love Arcia. Had him as my #1 prospect coming into the season. He is going to be scary to pitch to in future years. In 2015 imagine pitching to Rosario, Mauer, Sano, Arcia. Man, that will not be a walk in the park.

I just hope that Buxton is leading off in front of that Murderer's Row!

#22 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Ancient Member

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

Oswaldo Arcia:
April - .216/.275/.405 (.680)
May - .279/.343/.475 (.819)
June - .289/.357/.553 (.910)

Even an optimist such as I cannot believe that he will continue to improve at this rate, but I sure enjoy watching him.

As Thegrin says he or she does, I pay close attention every time he comes to bat.
Very fun!

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I think he has a really good shot.....he's good, and not many other rookies are in the AL.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

He was my number 1 going into the season, but I tend to favor results at higher levels over "upside"... even though he's has the upside. His biggest knock, that I can tell is that he's a RF, and higher numbers tend to be expected from guys like that. He did play some CF in his younger days, so think above average corner OF defense should be doable at least though is 20s, but given his age, he could conceivably continue to fill out and slow down a bit more.

The kid strikes me as a guy who can hit for high average and about 30 HRs in his prime. Nice guy for the 3 spot. The top 5 in the lineup for the latter half of this decade is starting to look downright nasty... Now to get some pitching to go with it.

Hicks/Buxton
Mauer
Arcia
Sano
Rosario

#25 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

ROY would be sweet for Arcia. I picked him to come north out of spring training, and then he got hurt. But he's come back strong since then. I'm in the group that won't miss his at bats. He still hasn't really squared one up yet. You watch, he'll hit one 500 feet yet. He most likely will lead the team in homers this year and most all his outs are loud. There aren't many hitters that make an out and I can say that was a good at bat. I hope he keeps it up and gets the ROY.

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Oswaldo Arcia:
April - .216/.275/.405 (.680)
May - .279/.343/.475 (.819)
June - .289/.357/.553 (.910)

Even an optimist such as I cannot believe that he will continue to improve at this rate, but I sure enjoy watching him.

As Thegrin says he or she does, I pay close attention every time he comes to bat.
Very fun!

As far as I'm concerned with his rookie year he doesn't need to improve that June line. I'm happy with what I've seen and even plateauing at those numbers is a victory.

Even with all the other top bats in the system, I think it is most likely that Arcia ends up being the Twins #3 hitter for the long run.

#27 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

As far as I'm concerned with his rookie year he doesn't need to improve that June line. I'm happy with what I've seen and even plateauing at those numbers is a victory.

Even with all the other top bats in the system, I think it is most likely that Arcia ends up being the Twins #3 hitter for the long run.

I'd be happy with the May line too.

#28 bl

bl

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just sitting here. Slow day at work. Imagining Oswaldo-Sano-Buxton going back to back to back ROYs. Now I'm happy.

#29 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Just sitting here. Slow day at work. Imagining Oswaldo-Sano-Buxton going back to back to back ROYs. Now I'm happy.

Never thought of that. I think Sano will come up mid-season next year and be too late to win it. Maybe only 2 out of 3.

#30 jsimssd72

jsimssd72

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Never thought of that. I think Sano will come up mid-season next year and be too late to win it. Maybe only 2 out of 3.

Well if Gibson is truly on a130-140 innings count he might still be eligible next year for ROY.