Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Gibson Gets the Call

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...n-Gets-the-Call

#2 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Everyone wants this move BUT they could've waited on this & used a position player for 4 days....esp in MIA for 2.
As much as I hate Drew Butera, they could've used him for 4 days in case Doumit's ankle is stiff or so they can use the other C as a PH
Classic Twins front office

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Excited to see Gibson, but he isn't going to play until Saturday? Why not call up an extra hitter or catcher for 4 games and bring up Gibson on Saturday?

I know Ramirez left the rehab game with a recurrence of headaches so he isn't an option, but there are some other guys on the 40.

#4 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Finally! I was confused about the Hernandez call-up, but I am pleased that Gibson will be brought up to the big leagues and I can now watch his development instead of reading the reports the morning after.

#5 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

My fellow Twins Fans, our long national nightmare is over.

#6 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

I assume they determined that Doumit is not seriously hurt before they made this move.

#7 mnwildfan78

mnwildfan78

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Everyone wants this move BUT they could've waited on this & used a position player for 4 days....esp in MIA for 2.
As much as I hate Drew Butera, they could've used him for 4 days in case Doumit's ankle is stiff or so they can use the other C as a PH
Classic Twins front office

They probably want him up all week so Rick Anderson can see his bullpen session and let him get acclimated. He got called up!! Can we just be happy?

#8 CRArko

CRArko

Don't need no stinkin badges

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • LocationNagoya
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

I assume they determined that Doumit is not seriously hurt before they made this move.

I'll venture a guess that if Doumit looks sufficiently hurt come Monday that the telephones will still work.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

'Bout time.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

/NM

Edited by jokin, 23 June 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#11 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Are you sure? The Twins (you) aren't just joking around? I wont believe it until I actually see his debut. Even if he is in the dugout. Are we sure its him and not a projection like 2-Pac at that one concert?

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Gardy said as much in the postgame. "Just a tweek" that should work itself out with the day off.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,815 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

They probably want him up all week so Rick Anderson can see his bullpen session and let him get acclimated. He got called up!! Can we just be happy?

No kidding. It's not unreasonable to call him up a few days early and let him adjust to the big leagues before pitching.

The complaining around here is starting to become tiresome. Gibson doesn't get called up, the front office is cheap and incompetent. Gibson gets called up, the front office is incompetent because they didn't take advantage of putting Drew-freakin-Butera on the roster for one series.

I mean, really. C'mon, people. Listen to yourselves.

#14 CRArko

CRArko

Don't need no stinkin badges

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • LocationNagoya
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

So it looks like he gets matched up against Shields on Saturday. Should be fun.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

No kidding. It's not unreasonable to call him up a few days early and let him adjust to the big leagues before pitching.

The complaining around here is starting to become tiresome. Gibson doesn't get called up, the front office is cheap and incompetent. Gibson gets called up, the front office is incompetent because they didn't take advantage of putting Drew-freakin-Butera on the roster for one series.

I mean, really. C'mon, people. Listen to yourselves.

You talk of "the people" like they are all one and the same. Not necessarily so.

And until they can factually refute it, the first part of your "tiresome" comparative rant fits perfectly how the Twins have handled Gibson by needlessly delaying his call-up. FYI, the Twins SP still ranks as last in all of baseball in ERA of 5.25- to not have given a Gibson call-up sooner, given the level of ongoing Rotation Ineptitude and guys throwing start after start with little future promise is going to forever be a head scratcher.

Edited by jokin, 23 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#16 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

So it looks like he gets matched up against Shields on Saturday. Should be fun.

Exactly.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

This is just sad. It honestly makes me not even want to come to a site that I write at. I'm amazed by people's (some people's) lack of civility and basic respect. We built this place not for people to whine about and complain about everything, over and over again. This should be civil discussion. Now the move that everyone has been waiting for has happened and right away, more whining. It's pathetic. I don't even know what to say anymore. We shouldn't have to continually post things about how to comment. It's not that hard!

And, that's me whining about the whining and the negative spin on everything. Thanks for listening!

And, congratulations to Kyle Gibson, one of the best people I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to. He knows pitching. He's smart. He's got stuff. I hope things go well for him!

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

My guess is after weeks of jerking around his call-up, they are making it up to Gibson in one very nice way:

South Beach. Hope he celebrates the hell out of it and it's the last time we have to worry about him not being on the big league roster.

#19 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

And, congratulations to Kyle Gibson, one of the best people I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to. He knows pitching. He's smart. He's got stuff. I hope things go well for him!

Are you suuuure? Is this going to be the real Kyle Gibson?
Do or do not. There is no try.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,815 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

You talk of "the people" like they are one and the same. Not necessarily so.

And until they can factually refute it, the first part of your "tiresome" comparative rant fits perfectly how the Twins have handled Gibson by needlessly delaying his call-up. FYI, the Twins SP still ranks as last in all of baseball in ERA of 5.25- to not have given a Gibson call-up sooner, given the level of ongoing Rotation Ineptitude and guys throwing start after start with little future promise is going to forever be a head scratcher.

I thought Gibson should have been up a few weeks ago. But that's just my opinion. Showing a bit of prudence does not equal incompetence.

Back on point, Gibson starts on Saturday. This is what we all wanted and complaining that the team didn't play musical chairs with one of the worst hitters in baseball history is facepalm-worthy.