Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: No Matter What, the Minnesota Twins Should Not be Trade Deadline Buyers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bwille

bwille

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Deadline-Buyers

#2 FanFromAffar

FanFromAffar

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

what are the odds that the Orioles will be selling Davis? :)

#3 josecordoba

josecordoba

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

One of the keys for being a GM is being able to predict future performance. In retrospect the 2003 Team that Traded for Shannon Stewart despite First Half Struggles was able to see a team playing below it's talent level (they made a run and made it back to back division titles)

This team has played above it's head and still isn't .500. Things could change (Arcia, Hicks, Gibson) yet even with all sorts of internal improvement (75-77 wins would seem to be the Team's Upside). I'm not sure the Twins have a lot of parts that could be moved for value. Morneau has no power, Correria isn't the type of guy you want starting in the playoffs, Hammer maybe but you would probably just get out from under his contract.

#4 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Da and or hola. All this talk about the Twins don't know if they are going to be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline is a ruse. The Twins can't possibly be stupid enough to think this team is going anywhere this season. Morneau and Willingham should be moved IF and this is a BIG IF captain cheap-o is actually uses the freed up salary in upcoming free agency. I just get the sinking feeling that traitor terry wants it to be Mauer and an bunch of kids that make no money. Young players are great and lots of fun to watch but this team should be a mix of GOOD veterans and the upcoming wave of young talent. This taint Oakland. The Twins draw well and would sell out every game if they would just invest some stinking money in the starting rotation.

#5 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Personally, I'm hoping for the Twins to be all out sellers: Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Perkins, and Correia. More importantly, I hope the Twins do whatever they can to get legitimate, impact prospects, even if that means packaging players and paying contracts (namely Morneau's). The Twins aren't going anywhere this year or next year, so there is no reason not to maximize return on these guys now.
If the Twins hang on to several of our better trade pieces, we might win 75 games as opposed to 65. This is pointless, not only because it doesn't net anything in return (still no playoffs), but also because it will mean a lower draft selection.
As for the money we save, I hope the Twins hang on to it rather than spend it in free agency. Even if we sign an ace (or two), we won't make the playoffs next year. I think we should save some money now, and then spend big on contract extensions down the road so that we can hang on to as much of our future core as possible (Buxton, Sano, Arcia, etc.).

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Personally, I'm hoping for the Twins to be all out sellers: Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Perkins, and Correia.

Absolutely.

I'd also like to see them try and get some guys that were formerly thought of as big-time prospects that may be on the low end of their value. I'm thinking guys like James Darnell, Martin Perez, etc.

It's no sure recipe for success, but as guys like Chris Davis show - sometimes you can get an absolute steal for nothing if you capitalize at the right times. Given that the team isn't competing, this is a perfect time to add guys like that and help them work through their struggles. I'd really like to see that be a part of our trade strategy this season.

#7 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

More importantly, I hope the Twins do whatever they can to get legitimate, impact prospects, even if that means packaging players and paying contracts (namely Morneau's).

Yes! This is something other franchises have successfully done and there shouldn't be any financial reasons why they can't.

I'd also like to see them try and get some guys that were formerly thought of as big-time prospects that may be on the low end of their value.

Yes! With impact talent on the way, some guys closer to the bigs would be nice. Flawless AA-AAA impact talent isn't realistic, but we might have a chance to grab someone like this.

#8 FanFanatic

FanFanatic

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

I believe Brian is correct in arguing that the Twins should not be buyers. They are more than one or two pieces away from being a contending team. But I honestly don't see the Twins being offered much talent for their available veterans. I would predict that lack of offers will result in the Twins not being sellers either. And, if they go quietly past the trade deadline without making a single deal, I'm good with that. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

#9 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I would predict that lack of offers will result in the Twins not being sellers either. And, if they go quietly past the trade deadline without making a single deal, I'm good with that. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

I can see that possibility, but I'm not ready to make that determination yet. It will depend largely on other trades and the value exchanged. With 2 wild cards for the first time, the hypothetical is that there'd be more buyers.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'd also like to see them try and get some guys that were formerly thought of as big-time prospects that may be on the low end of their value. I'm thinking guys like James Darnell, Martin Perez, etc.

I'd like to see them to pursue that Benson kid playing in Frisco. Good value there.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'd like to see them to pursue that Benson kid playing in Frisco. Good value there.

Butera + Duensing = done.

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

FYI-

He has 1 hit in June. They finally put him on the DL on June 20. Unfortunate for Joe. He needed the chance to get back to AAA and show he can hit over the course of the year to have a chance to make the Texas roster next year. If he doesn't get back and healthy, he is certain to be available next year. He will be out of options without any production in the three previous years.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

FYI-

He has 1 hit in June. They finally put him on the DL on June 20. Unfortunate for Joe. He needed the chance to get back to AAA and show he can hit over the course of the year to have a chance to make the Texas roster next year. If he doesn't get back and healthy, he is certain to be available next year. He will be out of options without any production in the three previous years.

To be clear, I was and am firmly in the camp of "Benson=Meh". I didn't agree with letting him go but didnt really care, either.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Absolutely.

It's no sure recipe for success, but as guys like Chris Davis show - sometimes you can get an absolute steal for nothing if you capitalize at the right times. Given that the team isn't competing, this is a perfect time to add guys like that and help them work through their struggles. I'd really like to see that be a part of our trade strategy this season.

Terry Ryan anticipated your request going into this year. Don't Jeff Clement, Tim Wood and Mike Kvasnicka ring a bell?

#15 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

No matter what?

Let's remember that this team has a ton of payroll space . If there are teams that are dumping contracts while making room for their own prospects, I'd like to see TR add a piece to the Twin's roster/puzzle. Mind you, this does NOT mean trading our own prospects/future away. I just don't think it's reasonable to say "no matter what" and restrict the General Manager's imagination and options.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

No matter what?

Let's remember that this team has a ton of payroll space . If there are teams that are dumping contracts while making room for their own prospects, I'd like to see TR add a piece to the Twin's roster/puzzle. Mind you, this does NOT mean trading our own prospects/future away. I just don't think it's reasonable to say "no matter what" and restrict the General Manager's imagination and options.

That's a good point. If a good middle infielder is available, the Twins should get involved. While he's massively overpaid, Hanley Ramirez sure would look good at short.

#17 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Can a sub 500 team really be considered a buyer? It would be pointless to add an expiring contract. It would be wise if there was a talent out there the other team did not want to pay for to go get it.

Edited by The Wise One, 23 June 2013 - 04:46 PM.
Interrupted When at work you have to do what your paid to do

#18 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Can a sub 500 team really be considered a buyer? It would be pointless to add an expiring contract. It would be wise if there was a talent out there the other team did not want to pay for to go get it.

Yes, it would be pointless to add an expiring contract.

What about a contract that still had 3 or 4 big money years? For a SS? A SS who played at a GG level and hit not great, but OK?

I cannot see the Twins doing such a thing, but they certainly have the payroll room. And with all the young players coming up, they are going to have payroll room for years unless they sign a big FA or two.

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

It's a good discussion but pretty humorous if you take a step back. Even when the Twins were at the top of the division they were rarely buyers at the deadline. In the few instances where they did make a move, it wasn't for a budget buster contract and never did they trade away a prospect of high value. They traded Tyler Ladendorf for Orlando Cabrera and Yohan Pinto for Carl Pavano. Both were on die-hard fans radar but neither were difficult to part with and thus far have not made the majors. Bobby Kielty and Matt Lawton were bigger names to be moved, but neither were prospects any longer, and due to an overcrowded OF they were in fact the kinds of players the Twins would be looking to move regardless of standings.

We don't have to worry about losing any prospects at the deadline unless it's a prospect paired with a vet to get back better or more prospects.

#20 bwille

bwille

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'd love to add a piece at the deadline to help build for the future puzzle, but what the Twins' would have to offer in order to get one of those type of players would be one of their young prized prospects. The idea of getting a solid player without sacrificing one of our young prospects is tough to fathom.

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think it will be obvious by the All-Star break that the Twins can't contend this year. The road trip to Toronto, Tampa Bay, and New York will put enough room between the Twins and contention that they will be faced with "sell, sell, sell" as the only alternative. In the last several years, the Twins have had real problems in all three of those venues. I don't see that changing this year.

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think it will be obvious by the All-Star break that the Twins can't contend this year. The road trip to Toronto, Tampa Bay, and New York will put enough room between the Twins and contention that they will be faced with "sell, sell, sell" as the only alternative. In the last several years, the Twins have had real problems in all three of those venues. I don't see that changing this year.

Great point. If the listless performance against Miami wasn't convincing enough, people need to consult the calendar heading into the break. Truly the Eastern Division schedule of death. The Blue Jays are the hottest team in baseball with Jose Reyes soon back, playing in Tampa usually never goes well for the Twins, or New York- and the Yankees have Nova back (he owns the Twins) and very soon after, Teixeira should be back by the Twins @ home series, and then maybe, Granderson @ New York.

Edited by jokin, 25 June 2013 - 10:33 PM.