Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/20): Darnell Delivers

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...arnell-Delivers

#2 CCTwinsFan

CCTwinsFan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Seth, re-read the Rochester ASIDE paragraph as Kyle is still a great PICTURE but I think you mean he is a better PITCHER, which I agree with.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Seth - On Gibson:
Your blog mate Nick Nelson said it best:

A Twins team that has actively preached a "no scholarships" mantra now has Diamond -- with one quality start in his last eight tries -- and Mike Pelfrey -- with the worst ERA in the majors -- comprising two fifths of its rotation.

Meanwhile, Kyle Gibson logged another brilliant outing in Rochester Thursday, allowing just one unearned run in seven innings.

#4 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Yep. I've seen enough of Darnell in a New Britain uniform. 2.61 ERA, good K/BB ratio, keeping the ball in the ballpark. 7 of his last 10 starts have been "quality." And he's going deep into ballgames. I'd be surprised if he makes a start in July at the AA level.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

He is a much, much better picture now than he was six or seven starts ago, and that, to me, is the most important thing.

Well, 9 starts ago, he pitched a 9 inning, 4-hit shutout. Actually, he was really, really good 7 and 6 starts ago. 7 starts ago, he went 7 2/3 of no-hit ball before settling for another 9 inning, 3-hit shutout. And 6 starts ago, another shutout. And then one clinker, followed by 4 good starts in June, with a June ERA of 2.08.

Your observation doesn't hold up to scrutiny, what's the point?, what's so important about Gibson demonstating he'd mastered AAA in early May, and continues to master AAA in late June? Especially when he's on an innings limit and now nearly all of his potentially experience-building valuable major league innings in a major league down year are gone.

Edited by jokin, 20 June 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

Seth - On Gibson:

A Twins team that has actively preached a "no scholarships" mantra now has Diamond -- with one quality start in his last eight tries -- and Mike Pelfrey -- with the worst ERA in the majors -- comprising two fifths of its rotation.

Meanwhile, Kyle Gibson logged another brilliant outing in Rochester Thursday, allowing just one unearned run in seven innings.

"No scholarships" is so 2012 Twins Way.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yep. I've seen enough of Darnell in a New Britain uniform. 2.61 ERA, good K/BB ratio, keeping the ball in the ballpark. 7 of his last 10 starts have been "quality." And he's going deep into ballgames. I'd be surprised if he makes a start in July at the AA level.

I echo your sentiments. Don't get me wrong, it's good to see another prospect emerge for future consideration to the big league rotation. But this is his 3rd year in AA. He's doing this year what he probably should have been doing last year. Hopefully, he's really figured things out and can be promoted faster to AAA than Buxton and Gibson are being pushed along to their own proper levels within the organization. A good showing in the last 2 months in Rochester and it gives the Twins more options for adding and most importantly removing people from the starting pitching depth chart at the trading deadline and come 2014.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Seth - On Gibson:

I'm not saying Gibson shouldn't be up or that he isn't better than a couple of the guys up there right now... I would say that 6 weeks ago, when the Twins said the "Inconsistent" comment about Gibson, it was very true. Thankfully, Gibson has responded since that time and been very good six of his last seven starts. Now, he's ready... That's my point. Gibson has made some adjustments, been successful and made himself a better pitcher. That's the key for guys that are in the long-term plans.

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I was high on Darnell a year ago at the beginning and then soured. I just needed to be more patient. There is no need to mess around with many of these pitchers right now. Darnell needs AAA time now.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'm not saying Gibson shouldn't be up or that he isn't better than a couple of the guys up there right now... I would say that 6 weeks ago, when the Twins said the "Inconsistent" comment about Gibson, it was very true. Thankfully, Gibson has responded since that time and been very good six of his last seven starts. Now, he's ready... That's my point. Gibson has made some adjustments, been successful and made himself a better pitcher. That's the key for guys that are in the long-term plans.

7 out of 9 starts of very good-to-lights-out performaces is beyond the means of realistic expectations for 'consistency" of virtually every starting pitcher in AAA and in the Majors.

These June innings are largely wasted having Gibson throw them in AAA. The string of 3 of 4 lights out starts, including the near no-hitter in early May should have been all the Twins needed to see to move him up to start gaining major league experience in anticipation of him at the top of the rotation in 2014. The Andrew Albers being "the No. 1 guy for the next call-up" comment by Terry Ryan just added further insult to fans' intelligence in this increasingly bizarre situation.

Edited by jokin, 21 June 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#11 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

The Gibson situation is just one of many things that has made this Twins season maddening & kind of unfun to watch. I cant get into any Pelfrey start & just hope every game he gets drilled just so they will finally move onto the inevitable Gibson recall.

#12 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

Gibson has about 40 innings left. If starts are quality thats approximately 6 before he is shut down. From a growth and learning standpoint its hard to see how spending those innings at AAA is better than AAAA. Its quite weird.

Edited by Steve Penz, 21 June 2013 - 12:13 AM.
spelling

#13 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

I think we can all agree that Gibson has earned a promotion. I don't think it matters though if he pitches a few games this year or all of next year because this team isn't going to be much better next year. 2015 is the absolute earliest this team competes for a playoff spot and I think 2016 is more realistic. Gibson will likely have two years to get himself ready before it really matters all that much anyway.

#14 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

I think the Twins feel confident in what they have in Gibson but do they really know what Albers can give them? I think Ryan is more interested in testing Albers at the major league level than Gibson. Probably not until the end of year though unless they decide to get rid of Pelfry or demote Diamond.

#15 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

After all the bashing you are taking regarding Gibson, I feel for you. I for one, agree with you and don't have any problem with how the Twins are handling him. You have a great day Seth!

Watched the Cedar Rapids game last night. Was great seeing Kepler get into action. I saw a young man who took quality at bats even though he didn't get the ball out of the infield. Expect he will soon be adding to the Kernel's mighty offense. For the most part, the Timber Rattlers pitcher shut down the entire offense, including Buxton, et al. One nice swing by Harrison was the difference in a fun game to watch from an area from which I have fond memories.

Thanks for the update on ETon, was wondering why Jorge lasted only 1.2 innings. Expect this game may be a sign of what is to come...minimal offense with shut down pitching.

Edited by roger, 21 June 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

And Buxton still in low A......I don't get it. Gibson is better than at least two of the pitchers at the MLB level, and the "number 1 prospect in all of baseball" does not yet deserve to be in high A.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

After all the bashing you are taking regarding Gibson, I feel for you. I for one, agree with you and don't have any problem with how the Twins are handling him. You have a great day Seth!

Watched the Cedar Rapids game last night. Was great seeing Kepler get into action. I saw a young man who took quality at bats even though he didn't get the ball out of the infield. Expect he will soon be adding to the Kernel's mighty offense. For the most part, the Timber Rattlers pitcher shut down the entire offense, including Buxton, et al. One nice swing by Harrison was the difference in a fun game to watch from an area from which I have fond memories.

Thanks for the update on ETon, was wondering why Jorge lasted only 1.2 innings. Expect this game may be a sign of what is to come...minimal offense with shut down pitching.

Thanks Roger... been getting a lot of agreement from players near the situation too.

As for Jorge, there was a rain delay at that point in the game. Not sure how long it lasted, but was at least 30-45 minutes. That's why he came out.

Very cool that you got to Cedar Rapids! Do you plan to see any more games there? I'm trying to figure out when I can get there next. I hope soon!

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

And Buxton still in low A......I don't get it. Gibson is better than at least two of the pitchers at the MLB level, and the "number 1 prospect in all of baseball" does not yet deserve to be in high A.

I can't say I understand the Buxton one... My only guess is that it must be something other than the numbers. Obviously at those lower levels, the stats are just a part of the story. I only could wish I understood the whole story. But, they certainly have their reasons.

Like I've said, I could justify the Gibson thing six weeks ago and even 2-3 weeks ago, but he should be up as well.

#19 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

With all the talk about Gibson, what is the plan on Colabello? Does he have any kind of future with the Twins? I don't see what more he could do offensively.

Also, does the recent performance by Herrmann make the Twins consider moving Doumit?

#20 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

I was with the Twins on the "inconsistent" comment six weeks ago. But when TR repeated it to Lavelle late last week, I no longer agreed. Of course, "consistent" is so vague as to be almost meaningless, or it can mean whatever the Twins want it to over whatever period they want it to. It could, for example, mean he needs to pitch a shutout in every start. It could also mean that one bad start among 10 is enough to make him inconsistent. That's what's so insidious about their position. Six weeks ago it made sense. Now it certainly does not.

You have confidence he will be up soon. I think he'll run out of innings in AAA and they'll say he just wasn't consistent this year. In sooth, he's been more consistent than anybody in the Twins rotation not names Correia.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#21 Jeff A

Jeff A

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Everybody needs to work on something. If you first decide you want to hold somebody down, you can always find a reason to justify it.

#22 DonnyMagic

DonnyMagic

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

In light of Gibson showing a greater level of consistency could it be said that the ability to return from tommy john at the 9 - 12 month time frame is possible, but stretching it out closer to the 18th month is a more fruitful option? If you are allotted that luxury of course.

#23 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Roger... been getting a lot of agreement from players near the situation too.

As for Jorge, there was a rain delay at that point in the game. Not sure how long it lasted, but was at least 30-45 minutes. That's why he came out.

Very cool that you got to Cedar Rapids! Do you plan to see any more games there? I'm trying to figure out when I can get there next. I hope soon!

Wasn't in Cedar Rapids. Game was in Appleton and I watched it on MiLB TV. Only games I will get to will be Elizabethton, where I have been wanting to go for as long as I can remember. Plan to go to two games in mid August enroute to visiting J.R. who recently moved to Columbus, Ohio. Will probably go to a Clippers game with him, haven't checked to see if by chance Rochester will be in town.

#24 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Seth- if you have touched on this an I missed then please forgive me. What is news on Darnell's improvement this year? Whip, BB, Hits and HR #s are down while SO and innings are up. Last year he started 28 games and pitched 156 innings. At his current pace, 28 starts will produce 179 innings. That is serious improvement. Are there specific things to attribute this to?

#25 mattkummer

mattkummer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

I attended the Cedar Rapids game in Appleton last night. It was fun to see these guys up close (and I was close-- front row behind the on-deck circle). When you see them-- you realize these are young kids. They are still learning to play the game. Niko Goodrum is a good example of that-- he made a base-running blunder on a short fly ball that led to him getting doubled off. You could tell he had a mental lapse. But my takeaway, that he was eager to learn from it. I saw him talking with Jake Mauer immediately after, and it seemed like a productive, positive conversation.
Travis Harrison had a great night-- blasted a homer, hit a double off the wall in center in his next AB. He also made a nice play, bare-handing a bunt to throw a runner out on a close play at first. (Although, I'm told replays showed the ump blew the call).
Buxton and Kepler had unremarkable nights. Buxton was 0-4, but he hit the ball hard in his first AB. Kepler, 0-3 with a walk. (For the record, I saw Miguel Sano here last year when he was with Beloit, and he also went 0-4. Maybe it's me). All in all, it was a solid win for the Kernels.

#26 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

The Gibson situation is just one of many things that has made this Twins season maddening & kind of unfun to watch. I cant get into any Pelfrey start & just hope every game he gets drilled just so they will finally move onto the inevitable Gibson recall.

Oh, come on, I'll take this season over the last two any time. Sure, there are things I don't like and I wish were different, but there have actually been some pretty fun games. Last year I would have preferred getting my teeth drilled to what on saw on the screen sometimes.

And while I understand the intent, I guess I'm just not wired to hope a Twins player fails - just as I can't hope for a bad season in order to get a better draft pick. Just the way I am.

#27 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Oh, come on, I'll take this season over the last two any time. Sure, there are things I don't like and I wish were different, but there have actually been some pretty fun games. Last year I would have preferred getting my teeth drilled to what on saw on the screen sometimes.

And while I understand the intent, I guess I'm just not wired to hope a Twins player fails - just as I can't hope for a bad season in order to get a better draft pick. Just the way I am.

If I could like this multiple times, I would.

I don't understand the pathological need of so many people to see certain Twins' players and front office personnel fail in order to assure themselves that they aren't wrong.

I watch baseball to be entertained, not to prove myself right. And this season is much more entertaining than the last two. Is it really that hard to sit back and enjoy it!?

#28 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Minier has a double/HR today, 3rbi for GCL Twins.

Here's an article I was pointed to on Minier

http://www.news-pres.../306210035/1010

Edited by Mr. Ed, 21 June 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#29 Jack Torse

Jack Torse

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Seth,

Has Gibson confirmed to you that he's on an innings limit? Somewhere I heard that he was asked about it and said the Twins haven't said anything to him about one.

#30 SeanS7921

SeanS7921

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

So is this the new game? The write ups don't include the only people that we really care about because why? Byron Buxton wasn't mentioned. Even if he didn't start and his only highlight was that he picked his nose that should still be the headline. Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario I didn't see mentioned. If Trevor May and Alex Meyer didn't start it should say - Trevor May starts tomorrow or Alex Meyer starts tomorrow with the added piece: Because they are the only pitchers that could be front end guys the Twins have in their system (minus Kyle Gibson who was mentioned).