Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Scholarship expiring?

albers diamond gibson rochester starting rotation
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,227 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Diamond started the season on the DL, but was expected to be the Twins best starter. He has had some good appearances, but his overall numbers are the worst of the current starting rotation in the month of June. Is it possible that the Twins could send him down to Rochester and promote either Albers or Gibson?

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,897 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think Diamond earned his spot in the rotation with his performance last year. Now Worley and Pelfrey were/are on scholarships.

I chalk it up to rust.

#3 bl

bl

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

I wouldn't hate sending diamond down for Gibson. Gibson's innings limit will expire around the end of July. Hopefully by then Diamond will have gotten back to the form he was in last year.

#4 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

The league is hitting .314/.310/.571 off Diamonds curveball. The Twins don't need pitchers without a decent off speed pitch in the rotation. Worley didn't have one and he's gone. Why would the Twins treat Diamond any different?

#5 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

I wouldn't hate sending diamond down for Gibson. Gibson's innings limit will expire around the end of July. Hopefully by then Diamond will have gotten back to the form he was in last year.

This makes a great deal of sense to me. Send Diamond down to work on a few things and when Gibby (we're tight so I can call him Gibby) hits his limit, bring Diamond back if he is right. If he is still struggling, let Albers have a go, or even one of the highly anticipated prospects. It still gives them the opportunity to showcase Pelfrey before the trade deadline.

#6 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

I don't like Pelfrey either. The Twins should replace Pelf and Diamond with Gibson and Albers and look to the future. Pelfrey is never going to find his top form this season and if he's not in the plans for next season why are the Twins riding it out with him and this rough season he's having? People say "well Pelf's velocity is really coming back...."WHO CARES? The guy throws fastballs right down the middle of the plate about 50 times a game. Unless he's throwing over 100MPH his increased velocity means very little.

#7 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

What does scholarship even mean? That someone has earned the right to have an entire year to make due? Or that someone has been given a pass in spite of their actual earningness of such a pass? I'm not sure I get it.

Taking Diamond out is foolish, if we consider this a developmental season (as opposed to the pejorative, 'rebuilding'). I'd look to TRADE Pelfry or Corriea before demoting anyone.

Gibson's time will come, while it might be frustrating, I sense that the Twins are trying to maximize the value of their veterans--the unfortunate byproduct is that they are playing better. Ugh.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 20 June 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Pelfrey's not in the Twins plans for 2014 in any way, shape or form. They are holding onto him only to get as much usage of his $4m ...thats it.
I thought all of last year that Diamond was a mirage & this year just cements my belief. How long do you hold onto a guy who pitched well the year before??

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

I'll give Diamond credit for being consistent, consistently bad. Diamond is 109 out 119 in ERA with over 60 IP and Pelfrey is 119 out of 119 in ERA with over 60 IP. At least Pelfrey is showing improvement though. His monthly ERA is dropping each month and he is pitching later into games. I'd rather see both Gibson and Albers at this point.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Twins Daily is great because most commentators making posts honestly look at the numbers and players and make fairly accurate portrayals. I have been seeing too many posts lacking that clarity in judgement in regard to Diamond and Gibson lately. Recognizing Diamond as our best pitcher last year only meant he was the best of a litany of back end rotation guys and that is all the hype he really got coming into the season. He earned a place because we just do not have a 1 or 2 pitcher and he was the best of the rest.
Now he clearly is not! We do need to recognize that it is always the big inning. He is not as abysmal as many performers on the mound we have endured recently! He looks like he has some of what he had last year for four of the five plus innings he gives us then something mental happens. So let's give the young guy a reboot at AAA fully expecting that he will right the ship and be our future 2014-15 4-5 hole rotation guy!
When Gibson does come up, I expect to see inconsistency. He will probably have a good game intermingled with bad games until he matures as an MLB pitcher. This is what I have seen him do with past promotions (am I remembering him wrong?) Better to do that in a year of lower expectations. It is the time.
So...Demote Diamond until we trade Pelfrey and/or Correia sometime in July, Promote Gibson until he runs out of innings (also July) and then look at Albers coming up with Diamond. Unless someone completely falls off the wagon, This seems to me to be the logical way to handle the rotation for now.

#11 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

Gibson has never been with the MLB. He has been elite for the past 2 months in AAA. I don't expect inconsistency at all. I expect a high 3 ERA with some great games. He actually has talent, and doesn't rely on smoke and mirrors. Albers might be more inconsistent, but would more than likely provide more than what Twins starters have shown so far.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Gibson has never been with the MLB. He has been elite for the past 2 months in AAA. I don't expect inconsistency at all. I expect a high 3 ERA with some great games. He actually has talent, and doesn't rely on smoke and mirrors. Albers might be more inconsistent, but would more than likely provide more than what Twins starters have shown so far.

I think a high 3s ERA is pretty optimistic. For his first 20-30 starts, I'd be happy with a low-to-mid 4s ERA, somewhere around league average.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

I think a high 3s ERA is pretty optimistic. For his first 20-30 starts, I'd be happy with a low-to-mid 4s ERA, somewhere around league average.

Which is why those first few starts should be this year.......

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

You won't get any arguments from me.

#15 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm basing this off what he is doing right now. MLB hitters should be able to square balls up better, but last night he had a 11-1 gb-fb ratio and 6 K's in 7 IP, not to mention 5 hits. Until teams adjust and get a good scouting report on him, I think he will surprise a lot of teams.

#16 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

What does scholarship even mean? That someone has earned the right to have an entire year to make due? Or that someone has been given a pass in spite of their actual earningness of such a pass? I'm not sure I get it.

It means the player who isn't performing keeps his spot because he is either a) on a decent sized contract, B) performed better some time in the past, or c) is a favorite of the manager. For more information, see Blackburn, Nick.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,239 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

"Scholarship" means that the poster using it has just logged an entry on my **** list.

I'm sick to death of the word. It's a rallying cry to bash the front office for any wrong-doing, justified or not (and there's usually a massive helping of hyperbole and teeth-gnashing to go along with its use).

I'm on the verge of petitioning the other admins to censor the word entirely. I get mad every damned time I see it.

#18 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

But if they wait till mid June next year, they'll gain another year of control. Why bother promoting him this year in a throw away year? Then next year we wait till he's past Super Two... :-)

Edited by ThePuck, 21 June 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Except Gardenhire used the term first, not us.......

"We're going to try to fit our team," Gardenhire said nearly a month ago. "We're away from the scholarships. No more scholarships because we don't have anybody else. You earn it, or you don't earn it. Scholarship program's out."

from Mackey on 1500.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

"Scholarship" means that the poster using it has just logged an entry on my **** list.

I'm sick to death of the word. It's a rallying cry to bash the front office for any wrong-doing, justified or not (and there's usually a massive helping of hyperbole and teeth-gnashing to go along with its use).

I'm on the verge of petitioning the other admins to censor the word entirely. I get mad every damned time I see it.

I know you can bring back the word filters.... do it. do it. do it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: albers, diamond, gibson, rochester, starting rotation