Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Should Plouffe Be Shopped?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

While we wonder whether Morneau or Willingham are worth trading, there is a name that is brought up a lot less often: Trevor Plouffe. If the Twins are convinced Sano can stay at 3rd, Plouffe is looking more and more like a cheap, productive, everyday player at a position that is hard to fill, similar to Denard Span a couple of years ago.

Now there is a name that could bring back a pitching prospect, right? And would you?

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Not yet. I don't think anyone has enough confidence in Trevor to offer anything of value.

If he ends the season with an .800 OPS and 450+ PAs, then I'd definitely shop him but only make the deal if the return was good. If not, hold on to him for another season. There's really no rush with Trevor because Sano is far from ready with the glove.

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I thought Plouffe should have been shopped last year. After the injuries, though, I don't think he'd bring much back. He's got six weeks to fix that.

#4 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

First of all, I like the idea of trading Plouffe. His .756 OPS last season would have placed him 11th among qualified 3rd basemen and his .792 OPS this year would place him 9th among qualified 3rd basemen. This, combined with the fact that he's a right-handed power-hitter, makes him a valuable commodity at the trade deadline.
That being said, I would wait to trade Plouffe for two reasons:
1. He isn't blocking a legitimate 3B prospect (Sano) and probably won't until next year's trade deadline.
2. His value will be higher in the future. Plouffe's OPS has improved each of the last 3 seasons, and should be expected to rise in the future with more playing time, especially because he is just 27.

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Everyone should at least have their trade value examined.
Like Benson/Hendriks, I get the feeling that the organiztion isnt in love with him but just puts up with him as they have no other alternatives.

#6 Steve_h

Steve_h

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I like the thought line and I'd do it. My question is would any other GM. It's hard to imagine that Plouffe could fetch something like Span, right? Plouffe only has 262 games and fewer than 1,000 PAs at age 27 with a 236/302/428 line while being a below average defender. He had a great June 2012 but probably needs to be healthy play well the next six weeks. By age 28 with Twins, Span had played 654 games with a 284/357/389 line.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

No, he holds 3B until Sano, then moves to the primary 1B until one comes up, is acquired, splitting time with mauer at 1B. No need to deal him at all, unless you have a 1B to play that is as good as him (which they don't).
Lighten up Francis....

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Everyone should at least have their trade value examined.
Like Benson/Hendriks, I get the feeling that the organiztion isnt in love with him but just puts up with him as they have no other alternatives.

That seems to be the case with many on the roster.

#9 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

If we let Willingham go (or he gets injured) where is your RH power? Dozier?

Sano will not break camp with the Twins next year and may not get to MLB next year. People seem to forget his BA was like .258 last year. He is going to need time at each level.

Trading Plouffe at this point would be silly unless the Twins were blown away, and that is not going to happen.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

First of all, I like the idea of trading Plouffe. His .756 OPS last season would have placed him 11th among qualified 3rd basemen and his .792 OPS this year would place him 9th among qualified 3rd basemen. This, combined with the fact that he's a right-handed power-hitter, makes him a valuable commodity at the trade deadline.
That being said, I would wait to trade Plouffe for two reasons:
1. He isn't blocking a legitimate 3B prospect (Sano) and probably won't until next year's trade deadline.
2. His value will be higher in the future. Plouffe's OPS has improved each of the last 3 seasons, and should be expected to rise in the future with more playing time, especially because he is just 27.

I just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your posts. You've hit the ground running.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I am examining this possibility right now. None of these Twin players are going to bring back "top prospects" in the "top 100" sense. But that hardly matters. Getting good value back is all that is needed.

#12 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure Sano will stick at 3B, and even if he does the Twins would need a bridge to Sano if they trade Plouffe.

I like Plouffe and I think he can be a solid starting 3B for a few years, something like Casey Blake was for the Indians.

#13 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I don't see him bringing back enough at this point. Maybe if he gets it going and has a nice second half you visit the idea again in the offseason. But I don't see him as "blocking" Sano, given that the Twins don't seem like Plouffe's defense at third and would probably prefer to move him to RF or 1B anyway.

#14 pab

pab

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

No, he holds 3B until Sano, then moves to the primary 1B until one comes up, is acquired, splitting time with mauer at 1B. No need to deal him at all, unless you have a 1B to play that is as good as him (which they don't).

They actually have 2 that are better than him: Mauer and Morneau.

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

I would rather keep Plouffe regardless of whether Sano opens next yr w/MN (think its very possible) and turn him into a RHH utility guy who plays everyday vs lefties (who he kills) but I dont think Gardy is that type of manager (will he even be back).
If Gardy stays, I absolutely would welcome seein what kind of deal you can get.

#16 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Trevor needs to grow his hair out again. He was dominating right up until his haircut last season (probably) and he is clearly a modern-day Samson.

That being said, I'd shop anyone on the team. It just takes one team to value someone more than you do in order to pull off a good trade.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#17 Steve_h

Steve_h

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

It's absurd to think Plouffe would block Sano, one of the organization's crown jewels. If Sano is ready next spring, he'll come north and they'll find another spot for Plouffe, whether its at 1B, an OF spot or some kind of utility role. He can be useful somewhere. Sure you listen to offers for Plouffe now but you don't have to do anything. Most likely you hang on to him because the return won't be spectacular, and see what happens next spring.

#18 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Trevor splits
vs LHP 234ABs .282/.349/.530 13HR
vs RHP 659ABs .220/.286/.392 26HR
Would love to see how trevor would prosper under a manager who knew how to use him correctly (Joe Madden!!)
He had very huge splits in the minors also so this isnt a under 1000AB abberation

#19 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I would rather keep Plouffe regardless of whether Sano opens next yr w/MN (think its very possible) and turn him into a RHH utility guy who plays everyday vs lefties (who he kills) but I dont think Gardy is that type of manager (will he even be back).
If Gardy stays, I absolutely would welcome seein what kind of deal you can get.

Plouffe's bat is too good to be reduced to a utility role. In the future, find whatever position is weakest offensively on the Twins and move him there. Plus, he hasn't scratched his peak value yet. Let him continue to improve and validate his previous successes.

#20 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Trevor splits
vs LHP 234ABs .282/.349/.530 13HR
vs RHP 659ABs .220/.286/.392 26HR
Would love to see how trevor would prosper under a manager who knew how to use him correctly (Joe Madden!!)
He had very huge splits in the minors also so this isnt a under 1000AB abberation

Who the hell would you rather play than him vs. Rightys?! Jamey Carroll? Eduardo Escobar? Gardy is bad, but criticizing his use of Plouffe is foolish when there is no superior option. A .678 OPS vs. RHP is not that terrible and I'm confident he will be able to top .750 in the future against them.

#21 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Include Plouffe with other(s) and see if a REAL 1B can be acquired. Or, a quality, ML, starting pitcher. Plouffe isn't a 3B, he a place holder, and definately not an OF.

#22 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Who the hell would you rather play than him vs. Rightys?! Jamey Carroll? Eduardo Escobar? Gardy is bad, but criticizing his use of Plouffe is foolish when there is no superior option. A .678 OPS vs. RHP is not that terrible and I'm confident he will be able to top .750 in the future against them.

In the offseason, I was championing signing Eric Chavez to platoon with Plouffe as Chavy KILLS righties still. Plouffe is a below average player vs righties & a great manager/general manager would find a way to minimize that but yeah, Id rather have him than Escobar or Carroll....no questions asked.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I wouldn't trade him unless I was convinced this is the best that he has to offer. Twins are in position to find out his upside, and his power plays perfectly at Target Field.

I don't think he has a future at 3B (or SS or 2B) but could have enough stick to play a corner.

I would also look at it this way, Plouffe is exactly the type of player the Twins should try to acquire from other teams.
Papers...business papers.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Personally, I'm really not interested in trading away any parts that have a chance to be good regulars on the next good Twins team.

The Twins should be looking to add those types, not trade them away. There's no point trading Perkins, Plouffe, Dozier, Hicks, et al until/unless it's clear they can't keep someone better, already in the organization, from taking their position and there's no other place to play them.

And I really not interested in collecting A ball prospects at this point, no matter how highly rated. I'm not interested in anything that might help in 2015 or 2016, and might be a good major league player a couple years after that.

The Twins need more pitching, but it doesn't have to be low minors lottery tickets. They have the money to add enough pitching. They don't need to wait half a decade.

#25 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Trading Plouffe makes no sense right now, or at all this season.

1. He hasn't established enough success to get any substantial talent back.
2. He is cheap and under team control without worry about FA or contracts.
3. He can play almost any position on the field and has done so when asked.
4. These types of players are the guys that compliment superstars like Mauer and Sano and help win championships. During the Twins good years, they didn't have anyone like this.

If Plouffe does post an 800 OPS this season and has an 800 OPS going into the trade deadline next season I think his name might come up a little more. At this point it is all about weighing what you're giving up (a real 3b) to what you'd be getting (at this point unknown).
Do or do not. There is no try.

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Do not like the thought of trading Plouffe. He has value and you would be selling low. At worst he is a platoon player, at best a lower middle of the order hitter. Not bad options until the rest of the Twins minors arrive. Most of those will probably fail anyway.

#27 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Personally, I'm really not interested in trading away any parts that have a chance to be good regulars on the next good Twins team.

The Twins should be looking to add those types, not trade them away. There's no point trading Perkins, Plouffe, Dozier, Hicks, et al until/unless it's clear they can't keep someone better, already in the organization, from taking their position and there's no other place to play them.

And I really not interested in collecting A ball prospects at this point, no matter how highly rated. I'm not interested in anything that might help in 2015 or 2016, and might be a good major league player a couple years after that.

The Twins need more pitching, but it doesn't have to be low minors lottery tickets. They have the money to add enough pitching. They don't need to wait half a decade.

You're the first poster I've seen who used 5 years. All pitching is a lottery ticket. The low minors is the cheapest and easiest, and IMHO the best way to accumulate quality arms. Somehow I sense you already know this.

#28 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

All things considered, you really have to keep him. His versatility, contract status, power potential vs lefties are all things you/every team can use.
I still view him as a quasi-everyday player filling in at different position IF Sano gets here earlier than many think. He's looked solid enough in limited OF time last yr to get by as well as 2B. Not fulltime, but as the lineup dictates.

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

All things considered, you really have to keep him. His versatility, contract status, power potential vs lefties are all things you/every team can use.
I still view him as a quasi-everyday player filling in at different position IF Sano gets here earlier than many think. He's looked solid enough in limited OF time last yr to get by as well as 2B. Not fulltime, but as the lineup dictates.

If the Twins don't want to keep him, I'm sure the Orioles would love to trade for him in a super-utility role.

#30 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

I find several things funny in this thread.

First) I find it funny that Plouffe should have been shopped during his one month binge last year. What team is going to give up a good prospect for someone that has an unimpressive MiLB record and had been awful in the majors until a massive one month binge?

Second) I still don't know what team is going to give up something significant for Plouffe since he has been so inconsistent offensively and defensively.

Third) Sano is coming but trading Plouffe now puts a guy like Escobar/Carroll there for the season. Unless of course you want to try the Deibinson experiment at 3B based on a hot month in the minors.

There is absolutely no reason to trade Plouffe now. Let him play at 3B for a year or so until Sano is called up and then if necessary move him to the OF or even 1B. I think there is still a chance that Plouffe can fill the Willingham role in the lineup. He won't walk as much but having a .250 RH hitter with 25+ HR is an area the Twins are weak at.