Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Kohl Stewart has signed

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

per a tweet from the Twins:)

#2 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

He signed for exactly the slot amount ([COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]$4,544,400)[/FONT][/COLOR].

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Along with Stewart, the Twins have been busy:

From the Twins:

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Cambria]Other top 10 picks that have signed include: [/FONT][FONT=Cambria]third round pickStuart Turner, a catcher from Ole Miss; fourth round pick Stephen Gonsalves, a left-handed pitcher from Cathedral Catholic (San Marcos, Calif.) High School; sixth round pick Brian Navaretto, a catcher from Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla.; seventh round pickBrian Gilbert, a right-handed pitcher from Seton Hall University (N.J.); ninth round pick Mitch Garver, a catcher from the University of New Mexico; 10th round pick C.K. Irby, a right-handed pitcher from Samford University (Ala.).[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Cambria]Additional draft picks that have signed include: 11th round pick Nelson Molina (INF), 12th round pick Ethan Mildren (RHP), 13th round pick Brandon Peterson (RHP), 14th round pick Zach Granite(OF), 15th round pick Derrick Penilla (LHP), 17th round pick Tanner Mendonca (RHP), 18th round pick Ryan Walker (SS), 19th Jared Wilson (RHP), 20th round pick Jason Kanzler (OF), 21st round pickTyler Stirewalt (RHP), 22nd round pick [/FONT][FONT=Cambria]Alex Swim[/FONT][FONT=Cambria] ©, 23rd round pick Zach Hayden (RHP), 24th round pick Brandon Easton (LHP), 25th round pick Chad Christensen (OF), 30th round pick Tanner Vavra (2B) and 32nd round pick Carlos Avila Jr. (SS).[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

The three top ten guys that have not signed (Eades, Slegers and DeMuth) are in the College World Series, likely to sign shortly after elimination.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

The three top ten guys that have not signed (Eades, Slegers and DeMuth) are in the College World Series, likely to sign shortly after elimination.

LSU has been eliminated, yesterday.

#6 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Along with Stewart, the Twins have been busy:

From the Twins:

[COLOR=#444444][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Cambria]Other top 10 picks that have signed include: [/FONT][FONT=Cambria]third round pickStuart Turner, a catcher from Ole Miss; fourth round pick Stephen Gonsalves, a left-handed pitcher from Cathedral Catholic (San Marcos, Calif.) High School; sixth round pick Brian Navaretto, a catcher from Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla.; seventh round pickBrian Gilbert, a right-handed pitcher from Seton Hall University (N.J.); ninth round pick Mitch Garver, a catcher from the University of New Mexico; 10th round pick C.K. Irby, a right-handed pitcher from Samford University (Ala.).[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Cambria]Additional draft picks that have signed include: 11th round pick Nelson Molina (INF), 12th round pick Ethan Mildren (RHP), 13th round pick Brandon Peterson (RHP), 14th round pick Zach Granite(OF), 15th round pick Derrick Penilla (LHP), 17th round pick Tanner Mendonca (RHP), 18th round pick Ryan Walker (SS), 19th Jared Wilson (RHP), 20th round pick Jason Kanzler (OF), 21st round pickTyler Stirewalt (RHP), 22nd round pick [/FONT][FONT=Cambria]Alex Swim[/FONT][FONT=Cambria] ©, 23rd round pick Zach Hayden (RHP), 24th round pick Brandon Easton (LHP), 25th round pick Chad Christensen (OF), 30th round pick Tanner Vavra (2B) and 32nd round pick Carlos Avila Jr. (SS).[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

Out of all of those signings only 4 are HS guys. Seems really unbalanced.

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

I think they only signed six prep players last year and the year before. Not that uncommon.

Plus if they have money left, prep guys will be the target.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Out of all of those signings only 4 are HS guys. Seems really unbalanced.

I'd also add that once you get past the big money of the first 5-6 rounds, the signing bonus incentive vs going to a big baseball college is less. So, rather than draft a bunch of high school guys that likely won't sign, they draft college guys with potential that will sign. The Twins 27-29 round picks (Blatch through Shore) are high-upside high school guys that, as Jeremy said, if there is some extra bonus money, they can throw it at them in mid-July.

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

The new signing procedures have made taking high school kids after the first couple rounds very risky as you cant pay em

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Seth, or anyone I guess...

What happens with Kohl next? Where and when will he most likely report? How many inning will he be throwing this summer? In your opinion
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

IMO, Stewart goes to the GCL and spends most - if not the rest - of the year there. He's not as advanced right now as Berrios was last year (his ceiling is significantly higher). He should be in Cedar Rapids rotation next year, though possibly not right away.

He'll be on an innings limit... he's thrown 40 so far, and will probably only throw 40 more this year. Next year we're probably looking at something between 110 and 130.

#12 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

IMO, Stewart goes to the GCL and spends most - if not the rest - of the year there. He's not as advanced right now as Berrios was last year (his ceiling is significantly higher). He should be in Cedar Rapids rotation next year, though possibly not right away.

He'll be on an innings limit... he's thrown 40 so far, and will probably only throw 40 more this year. Next year we're probably looking at something between 110 and 130.

Oh goody! Now we can have fun next year debating whether Stewart is being moved up to Cedar Rapids fast enough, and whether he's wasting his limited innings in short-season leagues.:)

#13 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

He should be pushed as fast as he can. Cedar Rapids would be nice. Hopefully most of the Twins pitching should be here in the next 4 years.

#14 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm the only one that thinks so but the Twins blew it when they drafted this kid.

#15 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm the only one that thinks so but the Twins blew it when they drafted this kid.

I was able to see him pitch live and his stuff is nasty. Kid finally gets to focus on pitching and I'm excited to see what he will become.

#16 pab

pab

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Yes, you are the only one.

#17 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Call him up!!

[SIZE=1]*too soon?[/SIZE]
Do or do not. There is no try.

#18 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Call him up!!

[SIZE=1]*too soon?[/SIZE]

Has it been 7 years already?:)

There is no May and Mayer. They're made up.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Since most draft picks don't become All Stars, much less Hall of Famers, you're sure going out on a limb there, huh?!

#20 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

I wanna pay attention to 2nd rounder Ryan Eades when he signs.
Many argue that collegiate arms are burned out by their coaches but most pitch right around 100 innings or so (Eades 100 exactly).
He should be good for a solid 50-60 also, but wont as most organizations shut down their college arms. Will it be different now with the new signing dates??

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Many argue that collegiate arms are burned out by their coaches but most pitch right around 100 innings or so (Eades 100 exactly).
He should be good for a solid 50-60 also, but wont as most organizations shut down their college arms. Will it be different now with the new signing dates??

Eades will probably be eased into like they all are, but I could see him fitting into the Cedar Rapids bullpen for the stretch run and being on the "Baxendale Plan".

#22 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Is that you, Jack?

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

I can't help but assume they will do something similar to hat they did with Baxendale last year. He had pitched in the College World Series and then went and pitched out of the bullpen every fourth day for 1-2 innings to keep the innings down. Could let him make a couple of starts, but we'll see.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Eades will probably be eased into like they all are, but I could see him fitting into the Cedar Rapids bullpen for the stretch run and being on the "Baxendale Plan".

I guess I should read forward before responding. Oops!

#25 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

I guess I should read forward before responding. Oops!

While I agree with you and Jeremy, you would hope a 2nd rounder would move faster than a 10th rounder.

#26 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

While I agree with you and Jeremy, you would hope a 2nd rounder would move faster than a 10th rounder.

He will. This year is just a bonus really.

#27 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

I would hope those that have shown they are ready and with potential move the most quickly. Whether that talent comes from the 2nd round or 10th round doesn't matter to me.

#28 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

I would hope those that have shown they are ready and with potential move the most quickly. Whether that talent comes from the 2nd round or 10th round doesn't matter to me.

Common sense would suggest a college pitcher drafted 8 rounds earlier than another college pitcher has more potential. Hence, would move quicker.

#29 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

Not sure how you move faster than Baxendale, unless you think he's Garza......which I don't.

Glad Stewart is signed. I hope he starts next year in CR. I don't know if I care what his role is this year, since he's a HS kid. College pitchers starting below CR always seems odd to me, not sure what you learn.
Lighten up Francis....

#30 Forever34

Forever34

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Great news that the big fish has been landed! Guess [FONT=Verdana]$4,544,400 is a lot more than SEC football programs are paying these days.[/FONT]