Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

The Twins Time is Now. Have to consider trading Buxton and Arcia.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 D-Hawk

D-Hawk

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Look, I like these guys, but lets be honest, we need pitching. If we could trade Buxton to the Nationals for Steven Strasburg and Arcia to the Dodgers for Kershaw we could have a serious team RIGHT NOW. I know it seems crazy, but I like the magic touch Terry Ryan has with trades. So if we can swing this come dead line, who agrees with me??

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Why would the Nationals make that trade?

And why would the Twins make that trade?

Aside from prospect-for-prospect deals being rare occurrences (though I think they should be more common), why incentive is there for the Twins to break up what looks to be a solid core coming through the minors at the same time?

It's very rare where a team will see 3-6 impact guys hit the roster within 24 months of one another. You don't screw that up because you're bored and want to see if you can do it faster.

#3 D-Hawk

D-Hawk

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Why would the Nationals make that trade?

And why would the Twins make that trade?

Aside from prospect-for-prospect deals being rare occurrences (though I think they should be more common), why incentive is there for the Twins to break up what looks to be a solid core coming through the minors at the same time?

It's very rare where a team will see 3-6 impact guys hit the roster within 24 months of one another. You don't screw that up because you're bored and want to see if you can do it faster.

I understand where you are coming from, but I just get the feeling Buxton will be injury prone, so I would rather have an injury prone pitcher than Outfielder right now. With Arcia, Kershaw, yeah thats dreaming a bit I admit. I don't know who you could trade Arcia for, maybe James SHields.

#4 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

No. Just no.

I was hoping to find sarcasm here.

#5 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

If you proposed Arcia for Kershaw to the Dodgers, straight up, they'd laugh at you, hang up the phone, then call you back so they could laugh at you some more. Getting Kershaw right now, the conversation would START with Sano and Buxton.

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I really think trading Buxton would be the dumbest thing the Twins could do right now with the excitement surrounding him. Strasburg is a good pitcher, but I feel like too many times he only goes 5 or 6 innings and isn't he yet to pitch an entire MLB season?

#7 D-Hawk

D-Hawk

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

If you proposed Arcia for Kershaw to the Dodgers, straight up, they'd laugh at you, hang up the phone, then call you back so they could laugh at you some more. Getting Kershaw right now, the conversation would START with Sano and Buxton.

Are you kidding me??? I agree it would not be just Arcia, but I could see Arcia and replacing Kershaw with Pelfrey in the Dodgers rotation. THAT is where talks would start. We may have to give a little more but I am not so sure.

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 4,261 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Nobody's untradeable IMO but it would need to be a pretty big haul. Who did you have in mind?

#9 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Didn't you watch that minor league game last week? Buxton is going to be Willie Mays and then some.

#10 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Arcia Pelfrey and even Eddie Rosario would not land you Kershaw....

Though I think Buxton and Sano is tooooo MUCH to pay for him obviously.

Can we even afford Kershaw? (his contract) I highly doubt

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-AA)  2.J.O. Berrios (P-AAA) 3.Jorge Polanco (2B-AAA) 4.) Tyler Jay (P-A+)  5. Nick Gordon (SS-A) 6. Tyler Duffey (P-AAA) 7. Stephen Gonsalves (P-A+) 8. Felix Jorge (P-A) 9. Max Kepler (OF-AA) 10.Alex Meyer (P-AAA) 11. Kohl Stewart (P-A+) 12. Wander Javier (SS-RK) 13. Chih-Wei-Hu (SP-A+) 14. A.B. Walker (OF-AA) 15. Travis Harrison (OF-AA) Just Missed :P Nick Burdi (RP-A+), P Jake Reed, C Stuart Turner. (e.Rosario, t. May, m. Sano graduates)

#11 Todd God Walker

Todd God Walker

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Didn't you watch that minor league game last week? Buxton is going to be Willie Mays and then some.

Stop being such a downer and raise your expectations a little. He'll be better than God if he were to lace his cletes up. He'll hit .400 with 50 HRs, 50 steals, and 50 exorcisms

#12 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Who let Rubechat in?

#13 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

What is going on here today? It would take Sano and Buxton to get Kershaw, no doubt about it. That might seem like a lot to is, but Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball, he's young and he's left-handed. The Dodgers don't need Arcia and Pelfrey is a replacement-level player.

Why do you think Buxton will be injury prone?

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Greatest.
Thread
Evar.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#15 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Why stop there? How about Hicks and Butera for Zack Wheeler and Matt Harvey.

#16 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Afraid my optimism will damage me somehow

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

No one wants to trade for Kershaw until he signs an extension.

Then the Dodgers will not want to trade him. They need him to help them get back to being relevant.

Strasburg (2.5 ERA, 1.06 WHIP) is an important component of a team that thinks they should be in the Playoffs THIS YEAR.

I like trading wisely and big, but I don't see anything like this happening with these players. Fun stuff, but I want to see Buxton playing for us one day.

#17 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

To honestly address the original post, why is the time now? Is the offense really good enough, even if the Twins could somehow trade their prospects for good pitching? Mauer is great, but who else has really been good this year?

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Why do you think Buxton will be injury prone?

In a thread full of puzzling statements, that one was probably most puzzling.

Does anyone have an injury history on Buxton? Has he ever been injured, going back to T-Ball?

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,635 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

To honestly address the original post, why is the time now? Is the offense really good enough, even if the Twins could somehow trade their prospects for good pitching? Mauer is great, but who else has really been good this year?

This most certainly is not the thread to "honestly address the original post"....

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,635 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

In a thread full of puzzling statements, that one was probably most puzzling.

Does anyone have an injury history on Buxton? Has he ever been injured, going back to T-Ball?

You're not actually buying into this bit, are you?