Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: The Future of Trevor Plouffe

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Trevor-Plouffe

#2 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

How many posters were calling for Jamey Carroll when Plouffe was struggling early in the season? Case in point of why you favor the young guy who can hit the ball over the fence to the old guy who gets most of his hits the other way.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

The Cuddyer/Plouffe comparison is an old one. But now I am convinced that Plouffe can both hit and field better than Cuddyer. Just his mouth is smaller. I think that the Twins can find a place for him (even maybe 1st base?) after it is all said and done...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

You are missing an option. Given the play of the middle infield, I could see him going back there. His problem at short had to do with nerves, and I think having a couple of seasons under his belt should take care of that. If not short, he can hold 2nd till Rosario is ready.

Even if he still has Knoblauch syndrome, I'll trade an .800+ OPS at SS for a few dead/maimed fans on the first base line. :)

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

I would hope to high hell that Romero is not viewed as a player who could sub-plant Plouffe. Whether Plouffe has a future in Twin's Org or another is beyond my control, but I feel, in my gut, Plouffe is going hit 30 HR's a few or more times.

Plouffe cannot stop the roaring and speeding train known as Miguel Sano, but Sano as a Third baseman is definitely not a certainty. I hope Plouffe can remain healthy the rest of the season and show that his presence in the line-up is needed for this club's future plans.

If not, maybe he will end up playing 2B in Baltimore and become a member of the All-30 Home Run hitting infield - Chris Davis, Trevor Plouffe, JJ Hardy, Manny Machado... maybe even Matt Wieters will join the fold.

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

The thought of the Twins trading Plouffe right now makes me queasy.

#7 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I don't see him as part of the core. Prove it or move it.

#8 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

You are missing an option. Given the play of the middle infield, I could see him going back there. His problem at short had to do with nerves, and I think having a couple of seasons under his belt should take care of that. If not short, he can hold 2nd till Rosario is ready.

Even if he still has Knoblauch syndrome, I'll trade an .800+ OPS at SS for a few dead/maimed fans on the first base line. :)

Rosario shouldn't be far behind Sano. Personally, I don't think Plouffe is much of an infielder. I could see him and Parmelee rotating OF & DH duty once the suspected veterans are dealt away. I hope to see Sano at 3B at some point early next year

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

He hasn't been Gibson enough for me. Once he shows the appropriate level of Gibson, then we can talk about him having a future.

#10 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

The Twins are going to need a 1B who can slug over .380. That's not Morneau or Parmelee these days so I would eventually hope to see the Sano/Plouffe issue resolved with one at first base and one at third.

#11 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

The thought of the Twins trading Plouffe right now makes me queasy.

Me to, but only for the reason ,that Terry (I blinked first) Ryan
Would be making the trades

#12 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

It seems to me that if Plouffe ever can consistently focus his raw talent, he can be an all-star. But so far he has been inconsistent and it seems to me not adequately focused.

I still remember the game in Anaheim a few years ago when Plouffe was playing 2B and blew a fairly easy double play because he thought that there were already 2 outs. I wish that Plouffe would hang out more with Mauer.

#13 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

I always find it amazing that the Wartman gets sited as an all-star. Yes, he was the Twins lone representative the time he got the nod, but it was a mandatory selection. 1 Twin had to be picked. His numbers were mediocre that year, but it was the best the Twins could offer. (This year......... for Colorado, he actually deserves it). I guess the point is......... it should always be qualified because he wouldn't have been selected any other way.

Plouffe, like Gomez, Hardy, and Ortiz, will probably shine brightest when he plays for other management.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Methinks the perception of Plouffe's talent is far rosier than it actually is. Ruthian two week binges can have that effect.

He'll probably be a semi-valuable bench player for the team, which fits his inability to Gibsonly have good at-bats and field his position.

#15 mako83

mako83

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Morny gets traded bam Parmalees taken care of, Willingham gets traded then arcia gets taken care of. Theres going to be a lot of room come september.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

I would hope to high hell that Romero is not viewed as a player who could sub-plant Plouffe. Whether Plouffe has a future in Twin's Org or another is beyond my control, but I feel, in my gut, Plouffe is going hit 30 HR's a few or more times.

Plouffe cannot stop the roaring and speeding train known as Miguel Sano, but Sano as a Third baseman is definitely not a certainty. I hope Plouffe can remain healthy the rest of the season and show that his presence in the line-up is needed for this club's future plans.

If not, maybe he will end up playing 2B in Baltimore and become a member of the All-30 Home Run hitting infield - Chris Davis, Trevor Plouffe, JJ Hardy, Manny Machado... maybe even Matt Wieters will join the fold.

I've often thought that Plouffie would be a perfect get for the Orioles, who seem to take collecting former Twins as an obsession. Oh, and Danny Valencia might also join the future Oriole 30 HR club at DH. He's currently OPSing .960 in 55 PAs after his recent call-up.

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

I still think he is the 1B platoon partner with Mauer, until they find a 1B. He's better than any other close option, or MLB option on the roster today (assuming Morneau is not an option, and maybe even if he is).
Lighten up Francis....

#18 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Oh, and Danny Valencia might also join the future Oriole 30 HR club at DH. He's currently OPSing .960 in 55 PAs after his recent call-up.

Yeah, but is he using the whole field?

#19 chuchadoro

chuchadoro

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNordeast

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Plouffe is going to be a relatively cheap power hitter under team control for the next four years. Hammer, Morneau and Doumit are as good as gone. Parmelee and Hicks are far from given as future mainstays. The Pohlad's still throw nickels around like they're manhole covers. The Twins are going to give Plouffe the next two or three years to find a home (RF would be my guess).

#20 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Plouffe is going to be a relatively cheap power hitter under team control for the next four years. Hammer, Morneau and Doumit are as good as gone. Parmelee and Hicks are far from given as future mainstays. The Pohlad's still throw nickels around like they're manhole covers. The Twins are going to give Plouffe the next two or three years to find a home (RF would be my guess).

Well if he's going to find a home in the OF it's going to be a rented one, with Hicks already there, Arcia pushing to stay and Buxton and Kepler on the horizon. Methinks if Plouffe's going to relocate to the OF it will be as a 4th, alternating at DH wih Arcia perhaps.
3rd is his for the foreseeable future with only Sano as a likley successor, 1st is a possibilty if Parms doesn't getting it going and the team eventually runs out of patience. Add it all up and his future with the club into what should be their next competitive phase is very cloudy.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

He hasn't been Gibson enough for me. Once he shows the appropriate level of Gibson, then we can talk about him having a future.

Yup. I like Plouffe a lot, but Gibsonly inGibson has been a trademark.

#22 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Plouffe has two assets - power and versatility. Gardy always praised Cuddy when he would move around playing various positions and said he was a team MVP. When the kiddie corps is all up (Buxton, Hicks & Arcia in OF, Sano 3B, Rosario 2B, Pinto C, Someone SS), Ploufffe can be available for DH, PH, and backup at all IF and corner OF and still be playing almost every day at a different position. I realize he's not Jamie Carol as a fielder, but he's an adequate backup who has some pop. Add in Mauer as 1B, C and DH and someone like Vargas or Harrison and maybe Escobar and you've got a great everyday lineup plus a very good bench. Do not trade Plouffe, but maybe he should learn some card tricks, just in case, to earn Gardy's praise.

#23 chuchadoro

chuchadoro

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNordeast

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well if he's going to find a home in the OF it's going to be a rented one, with Hicks already there, Arcia pushing to stay and Buxton and Kepler on the horizon. Methinks if Plouffe's going to relocate to the OF it will be as a 4th, alternating at DH wih Arcia perhaps.
3rd is his for the foreseeable future with only Sano as a likley successor, 1st is a possibilty if Parms doesn't getting it going and the team eventually runs out of patience. Add it all up and his future with the club into what should be their next competitive phase is very cloudy.

I agree it could be crowded in the OF in a few years. It could also be fairly barren since the prospects you mentioned are in fact, prospects. Hicks might never figure out how to hit as a lefty, Arcia's best position might be DH, Buxton is a monster but hasn't reached High-A yet and Kepler still plays in the Ramstein Air Base League, I believe.

I think Arcia and Buxton are going to be phenomenal but I'm not sold on the other two. I'm not sold on Plouffe either but there will be room for him to find a spot for at least the next couple of years.

Edited by chuchadoro, 18 June 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'm stealing this.

Everybody else should, too.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I think Hicks will be okay as a center fielder, but he might not hit enough to be a corner. If so, Buxton pushes him out of the organization when he gets to Minnesota. Plouffe's versatility should serve him well if Sano becomes the regular third baseman.

#26 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

The Cuddyer/Plouffe comparison is an old one. But now I am convinced that Plouffe can both hit and field better than Cuddyer. Just his mouth is smaller. I think that the Twins can find a place for him (even maybe 1st base?) after it is all said and done...

Thanks for the chuckle, thrylos. Two years removed and a league away and yet you can still remain objective about Cuddy.

I don't like Plouffe. He tweets too much.

Oh, and don't destroy your opinion by looking, but Cuddy is pulling off an All-Star caliber, Gibsonly year. Although it's nothing compared to Plouffe.

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Methinks the perception of Plouffe's talent is far rosier than it actually is. Ruthian two week binges can have that effect.

He'll probably be a semi-valuable bench player for the team, which fits his inability to Gibsonly have good at-bats and field his position.

Well put.

#28 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Oh, and don't destroy your opinion by looking, but Cuddy is pulling off an All-Star caliber, Gibsonly year. Although it's nothing compared to Plouffe.

Actually, Plouffe had a higher OPS+ than Cuddyer last year.
And I'm happy for Cuddy, but this will be far and away his finest year IF his numbers hold in that clear mountain air.

#29 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Plouffe's versatility means there will be a starting position available for him in the future. Not every prospect is going to hack it. Some are going to fail. As long as Plouffe continues to OPS .750-.800 he will have a spot somewhere.

#30 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Plouffe has two assets - power and versatility. Gardy always praised Cuddy when he would move around playing various positions and said he was a team MVP. When the kiddie corps is all up (Buxton, Hicks & Arcia in OF, Sano 3B, Rosario 2B, Pinto C, Someone SS), Ploufffe can be available for DH, PH, and backup at all IF and corner OF and still be playing almost every day at a different position. I realize he's not Jamie Carol as a fielder, but he's an adequate backup who has some pop. Add in Mauer as 1B, C and DH and someone like Vargas or Harrison and maybe Escobar and you've got a great everyday lineup plus a very good bench. Do not trade Plouffe, but maybe he should learn some card tricks, just in case, to earn Gardy's praise.

Plouffe also has one other major asset for this team right now: he bats RH. Not as important when Sano & Buxton come charging through, but right now with Mauer, Morneau, Arcia, Parmelee...it can be a pretty LH-heavy lineup. Plouffe adds a bit of balance.

He need to show he can stay healthy and out of an extended slump, but despite his defensive deficiencies, he could be a valuable asset for the Twins both as a current player and as trade-bait in the future. The power production is really nice.