Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Cody's Top 10 Twins Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...t-Draft-Edition

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Pretty good - there are teams that would be thrilled to have your HMs.

#3 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Kohl is not even signed and is a top 5 prospect. Well, that's hype for ya! For me, I think an important factor that is left out of the "prospect" equation on individual team's lists, is how fast they get to or can get to the MLB team. With most lists, they are devalued as they get more MLB ready (except the ones that include all the teams, perhaps), where as they actually become more valuable as they get closer to contributing, like Arcia (who may not really get to be called a prospect now). Kohl Stewart, for the very fact that in the Twins organization he is at least 3 years away, and more likely 4 or 5 or even 6........ well, his value is not as great in my mind. Kyle Gibson, as the pitcher most ready to actually contribute, would be surely ahead of Stewart for the Twins. But I respect your post and offering, for sure.

Edited by h2oface, 13 June 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

If only half these guys pan out, then the next decade will be a lot of fun for Twins fans.

#5 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

Nice to see 5 thru 8 were starting pitchers.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

I don't get how Gibson keeps getting that low relative to other pitchers. We are pretty much 100% certain he is a MLB starter, I don't know we know that about Berrios or Meyer for sure yet. I get that they might have a higher upside, but we don't really know their floor. But, that's really a nit, generally the list looks good (both how you ranked them, and that the list has good players on it).

#7 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Prospect lists have to balance ceiling with certainty and each ranking takes them into account differently. Guys like Sickels value certainty while rankings from someone like KLaw value ceiling. This list would tend to be a little closer to the latter. Nothing wrong with that.

It'll be interesting to see where Stewart ends up on the national lists this off-season.

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't get how Gibson keeps getting that low relative to other pitchers. We are pretty much 100% certain he is a MLB starter, I don't know we know that about Berrios or Meyer for sure yet. I get that they might have a higher upside, but we don't really know their floor. But, that's really a nit, generally the list looks good (both how you ranked them, and that the list has good players on it).

You don't know that. The Twins wont promote him so it is impossible to know that. Potential is weighed heavily in prospect lists, that is the nature of the sport. Coming into the year I would have had Arcia as the number one prospect because of how well he performed at such a young age. The reason people are rating Buxton so high is because his ceiling right now is a HOF player, same can be said about Sano. Imagine 3 HOF players on the Twins at the same time! That assumes Mauer gets in, which I think he should. Gibson doesn't have a lot of projection left yet either. We know what he is, and his stuff looks to be better than a #3 pitcher, but not a #1.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

SeƱor Member

• Members
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Agreed. Kyle Gibson's delivery has some of the same precision and balance as Mark Appel. Gibson will be the team's ace pitcher the moment he ascends the mound at Target Field.

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

We do not know anything....but if you had to bet right now, which non-Kohl pitcher do you think is more likely to have a good MLB career, who would you bet your life on?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#11 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Gibson is underrated but I will take Meyer and Stewart above him. I would also bump Stewart into the #3 spot.

#12 BabyJesusBuxton

BabyJesusBuxton

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Agreed.Gibson will be the team's ace pitcher the moment he ascends the mound at Target Field.

Agreed but all that basically means is that he has a pulse.

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

We do not know anything....but if you had to bet right now, which non-Kohl pitcher do you think is more likely to have a good MLB career, who would you bet your life on?

Do I have to bet my life? Can I bet somebody else's life on it instead?:)

#14 3rd Inning Stretch

3rd Inning Stretch

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hmmm mine are:
Buxton
Sano
Arcia
Rosario
Meyer
Berrios
Stewart
Gibson
Pinto
Kepler

Ceiling alone, I'd but Stewart 3, but is dropped with the certainty factor and how far from majors in my rankings.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

I like Stewart, but I am not putting him ahead of Gibson, Meyer, or Berrios. He is just ahead of May for me. I am rather surprised that so many are willing to put Stewart on such a pedestal.

I don't think the Twins drafted well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so my top 60 prospect list isn't going to change all that much because of the draft. I will put Eades somewhere, of course, and Turner, but the latter's very realizable floor is Danny Lehmann. His ceiling is past Butera, but I don't know how much higher.

Edited by Shane Wahl, 13 June 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Do I have to bet my life? Can I bet somebody else's life on it instead?:)

Sure, but only if you place a value on it.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#17 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

J.O. followed by Meyer

#18 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

I like Stewart, but I am not putting him ahead of Gibson, Meyer, or Berrios. He is just ahead of May for me. I am rather surprised that so many are willing to put Stewart on such a pedestal.

I don't think the Twins drafted well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so my top 60 prospect list isn't going to change all that much because of the draft. I will put Eades somewhere, of course, and Turner, but the latter's very realizable floor is Danny Lehmann. His ceiling is past Butera, but I don't know how much higher.

People said this last year with Buxton. How did that turn out? Elite talent is elite talent no matter what level they are at. I don't see the point of knocking Stewart just because he hasn't played in the minors yet.

#19 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Strib reporting Navaretto and Turner have signed.

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

J.O. followed by Meyer

You are braver than me....gibson is in AAA, and appears ready to be a number 3 starter in the majors in the next year or so. JO is in low A, and some scouts feel his FB is too straight. You, sir, are brave.