Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Minnesota Twins Win Despite Reliever Mix-up

brian duensing casey fien minnesota twins ron gardenhire
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SoCalTwinsfan

SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

In Tuesday's game, Gardy asked for Duensing and Fien came out. I looked at the mess in the eighth inning. The worst part was Gardy actually handed Fien the ball before sending him back to the bullpen.

Why Gardenhire handed the ball to Fien is anybody's guess. Did he not realize it wasn't Duensing that came out of the bullpen? Or was he having second thoughts on what reliever to use?

You can read all of Minnesota Twins Win Despite Reliever Mix-up at Yahoo! Sports.

Should Gardy have let Fien pitch anyways? Was it OK for the umps to let Duensing come in?
I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Not sure about the Fien-Duensing situation, but I'd love to see Perkins in situations like that. 13.3 K/9 right now, but he's got the fewest innings of anybody in the pen. A tight game in the 8th inning with runners on and lefties due up is a perfect fit for a slightly longer save chances, as long as his save chances look to be sporadic in the near future anyway.

#3 SoCalTwinsfan

SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Not sure about the Fien-Duensing situation, but I'd love to see Perkins in situations like that. 13.3 K/9 right now, but he's got the fewest innings of anybody in the pen. A tight game in the 8th inning with runners on and lefties due up is a perfect fit for a slightly longer save chances, as long as his save chances look to be sporadic in the near future anyway.

Yeah, especially with Burton unable to pitch in the game. Perkins used to be a starter. Plenty of other relievers go 1 1/3 or 1 2/3 innings, why not Perkins? Even if he needs an extra day off, Burton has shown that he's a very capable closer.
I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

I agree, sure Duensing's a lefty but Perkins is as well. Besides, it was the bottom of the 8th, if the lead was blown (it was) and the Twins don't score in the bottom of the inning (they did however) there would have never been a save situation for Perkins to get into anyway.

#5 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

PMS jokes are the best, period.

• Members
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Who can expect Gardy to pay close enough attention to know which reliever he's handing the ball to? Not I.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,255 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I think it's hilarious... A moment that only the game of baseball can provide... He called for the left hander with his left arm and threw sunflower seeds with his right.

The Sunflowers seeds trumped and out came Fein... Hilarious!!!
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#7 RIP BYTO

RIP BYTO

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, especially with Burton unable to pitch in the game. Perkins used to be a starter. Plenty of other relievers go 1 1/3 or 1 2/3 innings, why not Perkins? Even if he needs an extra day off, Burton has shown that he's a very capable closer.

Gardy's "MLB Managing For Dummies" book clearly states that your reliever is to only be used in save situations and can only pitch ONE inning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian duensing, casey fien, minnesota twins, ron gardenhire