Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

International Talk: Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,559 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

We mentioned him in the international signings thread. Since he doesn't count against the pool and would fit right into the next wave at a position of need, the Twins should go hard after him. Hard throwing pitcher.

Here's an article on him.

#2 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

That's a better way to spend money than better retreads.

#3 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Teams interested in Gonzalez:
Dodgers, Red Sox, Twins, Cubs, Rangers
One of these teams is not like the others, One of these teams just doesn't belong.

I would be SHOCKED if the Twins were the highest bidder among those clubs.

Also saw that he had bone spurs removed from his elbow while he was suspended, but is believed to be fully healthy. (Dodgers eyeing Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez)

It would be nice to see the Twins continue to add (upside) arms, but I don't see this one happening.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

I don't see Terry Ryan's FO being aggressive and outbidding other teams for free agents, whether they be international, MLB, or minor league in nature. I hope to be proven wrong some day.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 TD Mac

TD Mac

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

I don't see Terry Ryan's FO being aggressive and outbidding other teams for free agents, whether they be international, MLB, or minor league in nature. I hope to be proven wrong some day.

Sano?!?

#6 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sano?!?

And that happened in a year when MLB payroll dropped from the previous season.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Sano?!?

Terry Ryan was not GM.....nor was he when they signed jack morris to a big deal. I don't think it is in Ryan's philosophy to spend big. He could be right, he could be wrong.....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,961 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Sano?!?

That was Bill Smith.

I want him but that's assuming he's a hard thrower. Every article I've read states his fastball is in the 90's. That's pretty vague. 92 MPH likely does not warrent the same offer that 96 MPH does. I guess we'll have to wait until his workout though it seems strange we can't find a little better scouting reports considering he has pitched in international competitions since 2009.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

You can never have enough pitching... Agree if he's a 92 MPH guy, but I thought that article implied front of the rotation stuff. If that's true, given his age and development, he fits very nice into the next wave, and given the cuts in payroll, this is the type of high spending that makes a ton more sense. They compete in the international FA market every year and sign guys, so I don't see why they couldn't get him if they wanted him.

#10 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Terry Ryan was not GM.....nor was he when they signed jack morris to a big deal. I don't think it is in Ryan's philosophy to spend big. He could be right, he could be wrong.....

Amaurys Minier says "hi."

http://twinsdaily.co...l-signings.html
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

That was spending inside the new system, which sets what a team can spend. Not really true free agency. This guy is a true free agent, with no slots/limits applying.

#12 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm skeptical as well but, if his advisors have any brains, they'll look hard at the Twins' starting rotation and his competition.
"You're better than him... him... him... Hey, maybe this might be a good idea"
But, then again, maybe they are a little short sighted and want the biggest bonus. Never happens, right?

#13 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

The Twins have been quoted as saying they are impressed with this year's international crop, and they have one of the largest war chests. So let's not overreact if this Gonzales guy signs elsewhere. The Twins have done rather well by us in the international arena. For example, last year they signed the #7 and #22 ranked guys (Minier and Silva).

Oh, and those who think the GM has a huge impact on all of this can't offer us a shred of real evidence to support this notion. It's a big department, with a big budget, and the GM doesn't dictate every decision, including who to sign. Some people want to believe that Sano would not have been signed if Ryan had been the GM. I call bull.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

I agree, CK, that there is great opportunity in MN. And the twins have shown a willingness to re-sign their own to good money. But it is probably hard to pass on the more immediate payout.

#15 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

Most these kids come from relative poverty. For a lot of them, baseball is more than a game- it's a way to offer their families a better life. It's all about the money, and quite honestly, that doesn't bother me at all. Good for them.

I would be absolutely stunned if the Twins topped Chicago, Boston, LA and Texas to get this guy as a FA. I'm OK with that, given the large sum we have to spend on the international signing period.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

To reiteratre, he's a Cuban defector. Signing him does not count against the international pool.

Given his age/level, he fits in very nicely to what the Twins have coming up. This is a guy they should be aggressive with, especially given that they could likely have him for less than what they reduced payroll by this season.

#17 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

Gonzalez has been declared a free agent. I believe I read this morning one exec saying that buying Key West and offering it to Gonzalez still wouldn't be enough.

#18 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ya never know; I was reading the Pioneer Press article on Arcia, and the reason he signed with us was because our scout Juan Padilla befriended him as a young guy.

The Twins are doing a better and better job in Latin America it seems to me.

Lets send Tony O to talk to him :D

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

30 million is right about what the largest contracts given to Cubans has been... So how does this guy relate in comparison to a Jose Contreras?

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

And if this is true... I think the Twins are out. I'd give it to him; it would certainly justify the lower budgets over the next few seasons, but no way TR and company does.

Cuban free agent Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez could sign for $60 million - Over the Monster