Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Rock Cats: Mid-Season Candidates for Promotion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...s-for-Promotion
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#2 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Good notes. For what it's worth, this:

Alex Meyer[COLOR=#3E3E3E] isn't ready to be promoted. Yes, there are many, many more positives than negatives. One big positive is that he's second in the Eastern League in strikeouts, with 73. That's why we traded a good player, Denard Span, for him. But if I'm a member of the Twins' front office, I need to see more consistency from Meyer. By comparison to Darnell's seven quality starts in his past ten, Meyer has four.[/COLOR]

doesn't bother me much. When we got him, he had never pitched above single-A, and while we all knew the talent was there, I think we realized that he was still a project. I don't really see a major league promotion until late next year at the earliest. He's too important to the future to rush him, and frankly I'm not sure that the relative difference between AA and AAA is going to make too much of a difference at this point either.

#3 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, no objections to holding Meyer back. He's one of those guys who will dominate once his control and knowledge of the game improve. But he's not there yet.

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

If you meant to put black font on teh blue background, it is really hard to read......

I agree on Meyer, he's not ready yet.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

If you meant to put black font on teh blue background, it is really hard to read......

I agree on Meyer, he's not ready yet.

I'm not sure how much of his alleged struggles might be related to the shoulder soreness.

He has things to work on with his mechanics, nothing new there, but he does lead the Eastern League in K/9, 2nd in Ks overall and 2nd in FIP. For a first year AA player, I'd say he is doing near-phenominally well. Provided he's fully healthy, he should be close to ready to be further challenged at AAA.