Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Pitcher And Catchers Report On Day 2

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ft-Day-2-Thread

#2 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

BA's best available:

Best Available After First Day Of MLB Draft - BaseballAmerica.com

Christopher Crawford's best available:
1. Serrano (unsignable)
2. Denney
3. Conner Jones (unsignable)
4. Brentz
5. Andrew Mitchell
6. Garret Williams
7. Dustin Driver
8. Myles Smith
9. Will Crowe
10. McPherson

Keith Law's best available:
1.Serrano
2. Denney
3. Conner Jones
4. Andrew Mitchell
5. Wil Crowe
6. Boldt
7. Bentz
8. Williams
9. Cord Sandberg
10. Driver

I predicted Andrew Mitchell at #78 before the draft and I'm sticking to it. While I prefer Denney/Boldt, Mitchell fits with what they Twins did last year.

Edited by cmb0252, 06 June 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#3 rickyhawaii

rickyhawaii

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

i would imagine some team will take Denney before the Twins ,but i'm hoping for him. Boldt would also be great.

#4 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

Good info. I just looked up Mitchell. Looks like a good get.

Edited by howieramone, 07 June 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#5 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Wasn't Denney considered as a possible top-15 pick?
I know nothing about these players, but having Boldt and Denney in the board with only three teams picking ahead of them...I'm guessing at least one of them will be there for the Twins taking.

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

I kind of hope they make a play for Serrano. I suppose if he's unsignable, that won't work. Their second round pick is a college guy, so I'm not sure what leverage he has. He may be Boras represnted, but that doesn't mean nearly as much as he's lacking the top tier talent that other Boras clients have. The Twins have about 700k that they can add to any pick. If they can get their first two to go a bit under slot, then they can still throw well over a million at him... That's my hope at least.

#7 markos

markos

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Their second round pick is a college guy, so I'm not sure what leverage he has. He may be Boras represnted, but that doesn't mean nearly as much as he's lacking the top tier talent that other Boras clients have.

I think Eades is a junior, so he will have a little leverage with the fact that he can go back to college next year.

#8 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yeah I was looking at Mitchell last night too. Would be happy with him, Boldt or Denney.
Till I Collapse

#9 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

medoogs.JPG
Till I Collapse

#10 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

How about Chandler Eden? On BA's best available list: RHP HS Yuba City (Calif.) HS 68 IP, 119 K's, 1.83 ERA.

Till I Collapse

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'd like some athletic middle infielders, and more pitching. I'd be shocked if a catcher does not come to the Twins in the next three picks. I don't see them taking tough signs here, as they will want more depth, not one or two more good guys. But that's just a guess based on 1 year of data with this new system, and 1 year is not a trend.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Baseball America had Ryan Eades ranked 38th in their final Top 50 Draft Prospects list yesterday before the draft. The Twins got him at 43. Do we really think Boras is going to given sort of break below slot?

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Baseball America had Ryan Eades ranked 38th in their final Top 50 Draft Prospects list yesterday before the draft. The Twins got him at 43. Do we really think Boras is going to given sort of break below slot?

No, he will sign for slot, which isn't a big deal anyways, its not like we will have to go over slot for Stewart anyways (in fact I think we can prob save a few bucks on him)

Serrano and Boldt are going to cost too much anyways.

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'd like to see Bobby Wahl though he's another RHP. He has the stuff Ryan Eades does not. His K numbers dropped off this year but they were pretty strong in 2012 so the ability is probably there.

I'd also be interested in Ryon Healy, 1B/3B out of OR. Sounds like a pretty solid defender at either corner infield spot and he can hit. His power is in question though one guy at baseball prospectus who is in love with him says the power is there. Sounds like a poor man's Colin Moran to me.

#15 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Chat going on at BaseballProspectus right now:

Baseball Prospectus | Events | Chat with Nick Faleris on the MLB Draft
Till I Collapse

#16 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Posted ImageChris Crawford@CrawfordChrisV24s
Good morning. My process grades -- pass/fail style -- are up for you to enjoy. http://bit.ly/1bbxA96 #mlbdraft

Minnesota Twins — Kohl Stewart was the best player on the board, and Ryan Eades has shown No. 2 stuff at times. Pretty easy pass.
Till I Collapse

#17 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Posted ImageChris Crawford@CrawfordChrisV24s
Good morning. My process grades -- pass/fail style -- are up for you to enjoy. http://bit.ly/1bbxA96 #mlbdraft

Minnesota Twins — Kohl Stewart was the best player on the board, and Ryan Eades has shown No. 2 stuff at times. Pretty easy pass.

Wow great to hear!

#18 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

InfraRen (Minny): Are Ryan Boldt or Jon Denney signable at this point?Nick Faleris on the MLB Draft: I think both would need to be tabbed pretty early today to give teams enough base slot allotment to work with in order to reach the money likely needed to buy them out from Nebraska and Arkansas, respectively. Tough spot for teams with Boldt, since they are working almost exclusively off of reports from last year. Speaking for myself, I'd give either one first round money without too much concern, provided I had risk appropriately allocated otherwise with my other selections.
Till I Collapse

#19 markos

markos

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Does anyone know how much slot money the Twins have left, assuming both Stewart and Eades sign for slot? And how much can they go over before they hit the 5% limit?

#20 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Wow great to hear!

#2 stuff? pfffffftttttt thats clown talent bro, anything besides a guy who throws 110 MPH with a killer change or a sure bet to hit 40 HR a year is a terrible pick IMO.

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Does anyone know how much slot money the Twins have left, assuming both Stewart and Eades sign for slot? And how much can they go over before they hit the 5% limit?

The 5% is roughly 700k. Not sure what you mean on the first question... they have enough slot money left to sign everyone else at slot with an additional 700k to throw at someone. I for one would hope that their first two picks go under slot a bit so they could target a guy like Serrano, but from the sounds of it, he's going to play with his dad and come back in 3 years with a shot to be a top 5 guy...

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Twins pick #78- Freddie Freeman, Ryan Garko, Ryan Theriot, Steve Busby.
The 4 picks surround it on each side yielded: Chase Utley, Gicarlo Stanton, Marquis Grissom, Zack Cozart, John Olerud, Shaun Marcum, Curtis Granderson, Todd Hollandsworth.

Next pick at #110- Players drafted 110: Ianetta, Jeff Bagwell,
Within 2 picks: Brett Gardner, Dwight Evans, Chad Krueter, Nolasco, Scott Erickson, Paul Byrd,

#23 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Here's an impressive ranking by USA Today on Eades:

MLB draft: Top 20 pitching prospects

#24 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Eades should be a slot signing. Never know with Boras though. If Eades has a long productive tourney he might pull a Gausman.

#25 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'd like to see Bobby Wahl though he's another RHP. He has the stuff Ryan Eades does not. His K numbers dropped off this year but they were pretty strong in 2012 so the ability is probably there.

I'd also be interested in Ryon Healy, 1B/3B out of OR. Sounds like a pretty solid defender at either corner infield spot and he can hit. His power is in question though one guy at baseball prospectus who is in love with him says the power is there. Sounds like a poor man's Colin Moran to me.

what "stuff" does wahl have that eades doesn't? he's another mid-rotation starter from the sec. good prospect but to differentiate between a couple of third-tier college starters is going to be scouts' work.

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

what "stuff" does wahl have that eades doesn't? he's another mid-rotation starter from the sec. good prospect but to differentiate between a couple of third-tier college starters is going to be scouts' work.

I guess I just like starters with 96 MPH fastballs.

#27 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

The 5% is roughly 700k. Not sure what you mean on the first question... they have enough slot money left to sign everyone else at slot with an additional 700k to throw at someone. I for one would hope that their first two picks go under slot a bit so they could target a guy like Serrano, but from the sounds of it, he's going to play with his dad and come back in 3 years with a shot to be a top 5 guy...

5% of $14 million would be $700k. twins bonus pool is a bit over $8 mil.

#28 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I've heard from my sources that Wahl is destined for late reliever, which in round 3 as a worst case scenerio, doesn't hurt my feelings.

BTW my sources are random scouting reports and my almost null knowledge of scouting and baseball.

#29 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I guess I just like starters with 96 MPH fastballs.

that'd be his peak, then, which is the same for eades. wahl sits 90-94 and wasn't anything near that at the end of the year. he's harder to square up than eades, though, and throws a slider to eades' curve.

#30 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

5% of 8.2M is 410k. If the Twins are going to get one of the tough signs then I think they will need to punt their 4th and/or 5th rd picks to do it.

I doubt Stewart signs for underslot and I wouldn't be surprised if he snagged a little of the extra 5%. You can make a solid argument that he needs to sign but there is an even better argument that the Twins need to sign him.

I would be very surprised if the Twins took any tough to sign picks from here on out. I'm interested in which guy will be this year's Rosario, Walker, Goodrum or Morales though. At this point I don't even care what position they take. I will take anyone that has a shot at working out since 3rd+ rd picks are longshots.