Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Is Byron Buxton the Top Prospect in the Twins Organization?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

The Byron Buxton hype train has been full speed ahead over the past week. I examined it and made his case as the top prospect in the organization.

Y! SPORTS

#2 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

I don't think you need to make a case for him. He IS the best prospect in the organization.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yes. And I held out on him until this season. Watching video of this guy tells you all you need to know. But he is also putting up amazing stats. He just went off again tonight. This guy needs to be starting 2014 in New Britain.

#4 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,320 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

What's his ETA to Fort Myers? Will it happen immediately after their all-star game?

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

What's his ETA to Fort Myers? Will it happen immediately after their all-star game?

Anything else is asinine.

#6 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Buxton is great, but I don't think it's clear-cut that he's the best prospect in the organization. What Sano's doing in the FSL is insane. He is Babe-Ruthing that league at age 20.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

In my opinion, having seen both of them play in the Midwest League at about the same age, Buxton's the choice. I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't seen him. Sano's incredible and obviously would be the #1 prospect in about 80% of the organizations. In my mind, it's 1a and 1b, but if I have to pick one, it'd be Buxton.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Buxton is great, but I don't think it's clear-cut that he's the best prospect in the organization. What Sano's doing in the FSL is insane. He is Babe-Ruthing that league at age 20.

And Buxton is Willie Mays-ing it in A-ball at 19. And there is no doubt about both his defensive ability and his ability to hit for average.

Imagine:

Hicks, RF
Mauer, C
Buxton, CF
Sano, 1B
Vargas, DH
Arcia, LF
Rosario, 2B
Plouffe/X, 3B
Santana/Beresford, SS

#9 Red Bull

Red Bull

Banned

• Banned
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

In Trouts first season in CR he played 81 games, so far Buxton has played 53. I calculated Buxtons stats if he stayed on the same pace through 81 games and compared them to trout.

Trout- .362 AVG, 76 R, 113 H, 19 2B, 7 3B, 6 HR, 39 RBI, 164 TB, 45 SB, .454 OBP, .526 SLG, .979 OPS

Buxton- .348 AVG, 89 R, 109 H, 18 2B, 11 3B, 11 HR, 61 RBI, 180 TB, 40 SB, .444 OBP, .578 SLG, 1.023 OPS

They have very similar numbers but Buxton is showing more power with more XBHs. Trout hit over 30 HR in his first season and is on pace for around 30 agains this year, so could Buxton be a 30+ HR hitter too? I think so, I think Buxton will be better than Trout overall too. Hopefully Buxton can continue to put up similar numbers or better numbers than Trout did as he moves up the system all the way into the bigs.

#10 josecordoba

josecordoba

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Few Thoughts

1. I've thought Buxton was the Best Twins Prospect since they drafted him. Buxton is like Mike Trout in that he impacts the game in several different areas (Base-Running, Defense, Hitting) where as Miguel Sano has one special, special tool power. Both guys have MVP Upside.

2. On the current season-Sano's numbers are somewhat inflated by BABIP of .409. Sano doesn't project as a .340 hitter in the big leagues. Sano seems to project as more of .290/.380/.570 type of guy in the bigs on a consistent basis.

3. On the Buxton-Trout Comp. Trout was Six Months younger when starting his season at Low A. In the grand scheme of things this might not seem like much (but it's noteworthy).

#11 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

MWL All-Star game is on June 18. I would expect Buxton to be batting leadoff on June 19 or 20 in Fort Myers. He probably won't get to share the field with Sano, however, as the FSL All-Star game is on the 15th. The only way he would is if the Twins brass wants to start Sano off in New Britain, and not on the road, as the Cats have a 9-game road trip from the 18th through the 26th..

#12 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

He is definatly number one. Just check all the #buxtonfacts from Twitter last night. Those were great!
I bent my wookie...

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Buxton will be the #1 prospect in baseball at the end of the season.

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,331 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Until Buxton can do what he does now at Fort Myers, Sano is the better prospect.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Buxton or Sano? I bet a lot of teams wish they had that tough decision to make.

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

In the long run, it really doesn't matter. 25 years from now, most fans will not care about who the better prospect was in 2013 (okay, many fans don't really care now).

Fans will care about when the player came up to the majors and about the length and success of his major league career.

Yes, I know that y'all need something to discuss and argue about but despite all the attention, they are all still kids (okay, REALLY young men). A lot can happen between now and their arrival in mlb. And, A LOT more can and must happen before they have a successful career. I guess it is a way for you to fill column inches but meaningless in the real scheme of things -- KC has had a lot of "prospects" -- it is how those prospects mature AND what the team does with them, that matters.

#17 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Does it matter? :P

We have two ridiculously good prospects, and which one is better doesn't make much difference to me. The raving about Buxton going on is pretty cool, but man, Sano is just crushing what is supposed to be a pitchers' league. Those two in the same lineup someday should be a lot of fun.

#18 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

In my opinion, having seen both of them play in the Midwest League at about the same age, Buxton's the choice. I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't seen him. Sano's incredible and obviously would be the #1 prospect in about 80% of the organizations. In my mind, it's 1a and 1b, but if I have to pick one, it'd be Buxton.

I agree with this. I thought Sano was the clear choice going into this season. But Buxton has tools that Sano can't touch. I think of Buxton as the future number 3 hitter and center fielder to overshadow all center fielders in Twins history. I think of Sano as the clean-up hitter and third baseman to overshadow all third basemen in Twins history. They're the two best prospects we've had since Mauer. But if I have to choose, I'd choose the guy with the tools who plays a premium position.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#19 jay

jay

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Nice article, Chris.

I'd have to agree that he's overtaken Sano, but only by a slight margin. Safe to say we're all pretty excited to see the both of them arrive in Minneapolis.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I gave Sano the nod this offseason since he had excelled in full season ball while Buxton was only a great scouting report with mixed rk ball success. Buxton has pulled into the lead now but both of these prospects are top 10 overall prospects which is awesome.

Will anyone that was ranking Buxton 5th in the Twins org or lower this offseason come forward?

#21 Ozziedavisfan

Ozziedavisfan

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

I think it really depends what you value more in a prospect.If you like five tool prospects buxton your guy. Power hitters Sano. It's like trying to ask who's better ( babe ruth or mickey mantle, and no I'm not comparing them to two HOF that would be stupid) Personally, I as much as I love Sano, I have to say that just because the defence that Bux provides he's probably going to do more for you organization than Sano if the turn out the way that they are supposed to turn out. However have the two best prospects in baseball is pretty cool.

#22 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

I'd say Sano but only because of position. IF Sano can't play 3B its obviously Buxton. Both are very good prospects but tearing up the mid-west league and tearing up the FSL are totally different. I don't think it matters though, the Twins need to promote these guys

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

The real question is, now that Profar is up in the bigs, is Buxton the best prospect in all of baseball?

Methinks, yes.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'd say Sano but only because of position. IF Sano can't play 3B its obviously Buxton. Both are very good prospects but tearing up the mid-west league and tearing up the FSL are totally different. I don't think it matters though, the Twins need to promote these guys

Huh?

SS> C >CF > 2B > 3B >LF/RF/1b

#25 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Another argument is that Buxton is performing much better than Sano did in the same league (different home park) last year. Or that prospect rankings take more into account than just stats. It is basically splitting hairs at this point though.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

And Buxton is Willie Mays-ing it in A-ball at 19.

At 6 months older, Willie Mays was Willie Mays-ing it (1.300+ OPS) in AAA, not 1.000+ OPS in A. That's a big difference. I'm a Buxton fan but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

#27 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

I actually approach this question a little differently than most people - I'm always a little hesitant to get my hopes up too much based on Single-A results. I've seen those flame out and die in the high minors too often. My approach combines raw potential with actually being closer to making a difference at the parent club.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sano can do in New Britain. Right now, though, I'm more interested in following Alex Meyer and Kyle Gibson.

Edited by IdahoPilgrim, 06 June 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#28 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Buxton is leading in BA/OBP. Sano is leading in HR & RBI. Each is near the top in everything else. Do you value speed over raw power? Don't think so. Until they play in the same league together a slight edge to Sano because of his power lead.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

2. On the current season-Sano's numbers are somewhat inflated by BABIP of .409. Sano doesn't project as a .340 hitter in the big leagues. Sano seems to project as more of .290/.380/.570 type of guy in the bigs on a consistent basis.

Yes, I would be OK with a .950 OPS guy, that would be pretty awesome!

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

The danger in a thread like this is that we tend to almost negate on to tout the other. In reality, both are tremendous prospects and the Twins, and us as fans, should be thrilled with them!