Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

The Minnesota Twins' Five Biggest First-Round Busts

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Y! SPORTS

For every Joe Mauer, there's five of these guys that don't pan out. Anybody else up for consideration?

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

I suppose a good list. However, there is a huge difference between the top few picks and the 21st pick.

In the 42 years from 1965-2007, there are only 6 guys that have over 10 career WAR. I guess the rest are some level of bust but it is typical at pick 21.

If Buxton doesn't make it, that will be a bust. If one of Wimmers, Michael, Berrios or Gibson make it, you are probably ahead of the game.

#3 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,464 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

The twins have won 7 of 8 and they have an opp to get a real nice player tomorrow....can we have one week where we just don't post depressing stuff?

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

1991s McCarty failure keeps everyone from remembering that MNs 2nd 1st rounder (27th) was 1B Scott Stahoviak!!! OUCH

Not signing 1993 first rounder Jason Varitek (21st...one pick after Torii) and missing on supplemental picks 33/38 Marc Barcelo/Kelcey Mucker make that a frustrating first round.
1996....Travis Lee wasnt a bad pick, just bad front office work
1998 pick of Ryan Mills was bad as 22 of first 28 made the majors
First round picks AFTER Moses in 03...Aardsma, Billingsley, Barton, CQuentin, Adam Jones

Last 10yrs, I think MN has done well with their first round picks....just not much after that

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

A note about posting links. Please do not preface the thread title with "Article". That is an automatically generated notice for Twins Daily articles on the front page.

#6 a-wan

a-wan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

BJ Garbe and his night vision issues. Can imagine the scouts and the front office during that conversation.

"He can't what?"
"See, sir. He can't see very well."

#7 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hey Brock, note taken. I wasn't sure about it so I'll make sure to follow in the future. My fault.

#8 Chris Schad

Chris Schad

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

The twins have won 7 of 8 and they have an opp to get a real nice player tomorrow....can we have one week where we just don't post depressing stuff?

I know, this was actually an assignment from Yahoo itself, so I followed what I normally do and posted it on here. Twins are looking well, I hope it can continue.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hey Brock, note taken. I wasn't sure about it so I'll make sure to follow in the future. My fault.

Oh no, it's a common mistake. No worries, just letting you know the rules.

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

No way Moses should be on this list. He was a bust, sure, but he was picked in the latter half of the first round. Those guys wash out all the time. The Twins have picked high enough, often enough that there are plenty of top picks with high expectations to choose from.

How about Bryan Oelkers, picked just ahead of Dwight Gooden at 3rd overall in 1982? How about Tim Belcher, picked first overall in 1983 but did not sign (one of only two players to hold that distinction)? Or Willie Banks, 3rd overall pick?

#11 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Alex Johnson should be on the list.

#12 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ancient history and not instructive in any way.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

There's nothing wrong with writing about that side of the draft with the draft fast approaching. The draft is completely a crap shoot in many ways. If it wasn't, Mark Prior would still be dominating hitters. I enjoy lists like this. That Oelkers pick sure stands out. I'd say Moses and Garbe were both busts. I'd probably put David McCarty at the top of mine. Adam Johnson never really got a shot.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thank you scrooge. Sometimes it's just interesting to talk the many strange ways baseball is both positive and exciting but depressing and bizarre.

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

A bust doesn't necessarily make it a bad pick.so e of the busts referred to above we're not bad picks.

Pitchers carry more risk. High schoolers carry more risk and promise more reward. Drafting a high school pitcher is the ultimate of risk. Kohl Stewart is a good draft pick in the Twins spot this year. He may be a bust. He may be an allstar. In either case the decision to risk selecting him will have been a good one. Top of the rotation pitchers are the rarest commodity.

#16 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

1991s McCarty failure keeps everyone from remembering that MNs 2nd 1st rounder (27th) was 1B Scott Stahoviak!!! OUCH

Not signing 1993 first rounder Jason Varitek (21st...one pick after Torii) and missing on supplemental picks 33/38 Marc Barcelo/Kelcey Mucker make that a frustrating first round.
1996....Travis Lee wasnt a bad pick, just bad front office work
1998 pick of Ryan Mills was bad as 22 of first 28 made the majors
First round picks AFTER Moses in 03...Aardsma, Billingsley, Barton, CQuentin, Adam Jones

Last 10yrs, I think MN has done well with their first round picks....just not much after that

Mills seemed like a real safe pick at the time, son of a pitching coach. great college career, lefty, good size. Sometimes good picks don't pan out.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

No way Moses should be on this list. He was a bust, sure, but he was picked in the latter half of the first round. Those guys wash out all the time. The Twins have picked high enough, often enough that there are plenty of top picks with high expectations to choose from.

I agree. I think expectations were high for Moses and Span after picking in the top 10 seven of the previous 8 years. Moses probably should be in the same bust camp as Carlos Gutierrez and Kyle Waldrop considering their draft positions.

How about Bryan Oelkers, picked just ahead of Dwight Gooden at 3rd overall in 1982? How about Tim Belcher, picked first overall in 1983 but did not sign (one of only two players to hold that distinction)? Or Willie Banks, 3rd overall pick?

Willie was a tough pick, I'm all for drafting HS arms but it's hard to argue Banks backfired. There was a ton of talent in that 1987 draft.

No one has mentioned the Twins drafted Tim Belcher 1st overall in 1983. He was a damn good pitcher. Too bad he did sign with the Twins and there wasn't any sort of compensation back in those days.

Edit: Ha, I never knew this but looking at the draft history, the Twins also drafted Billy Swift with the 1st pick of the 2nd round in 1983. He also was a pretty solid pitcher. But did not sign. What a bad year.

Looking back, the Twins actually were quite awful drafting in the 1st round until recently. Chuck Knoblauch was the first 1st round pick that signed and played for the Twins to put up more than a 5.5 WAR for his career.

Edited by nicksaviking, 05 June 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#18 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Mills seemed like a real safe pick at the time, son of a pitching coach. great college career, lefty, good size. Sometimes good picks don't pan out.

Mills was on TV a few days after the draft and gave up about 12 runs. I hate college pitchers in the first round.

#19 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'd say Moses and Garbe were both busts.

Probably expected some sort of miracle with Moses...

#20 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

and yet, you still took time to complain about it anyway...