Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: 2013 Draft Class Could Lead 2014 Kernels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ad-2014-Kernels

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

This is seriously a tremendous article. I really enjoy how real it makes the draft and what things can look like. The names are there as proof.

That said, the top pitchers drafted out of college who start the year with the Kernels could move up to Ft. Myers after a couple of good months... like Tyler Duffey...

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

With the earlier signing deadline, the draft becomes a faster impact. In the past, you didn't see your top picks for a year after the draft. Now they get playing time right away and can get promoted much faster. Under the old system, Baxendale & Buxton might still be waiting for the Appy league to start.

#4 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

It would appear that this draft has been beyond successful. Obviously major league success is what we want to get, but there are a ton of guys that have been really great in the minors. Consider that the draft before we got Levi Michael, Hudson Boyd, and Madison Boer with the first 3 of 4 picks and this is even more incredible.

#5 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Looks like a 10th member of the draft class of 2012 will be joining the Kernels on Wednesday, Christian Powell, drafted in the 8th round.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~