Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Aderlin Mejia

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Aderlin Mejia, finding a position
5'11', 170
Bats: switch, throws: right
DOB: 5/12/92

2012 GCL (and very minimal time in the FSL) numbers:
.313/.365/.402 (.767), 13 doubles, 0 triples, 1 homer, 16 walks, 15 strikeouts, 11 steals and 7 times caught stealing.

2013 FSL numbers:
95 plate appearances, .378/.447/.427, 4/0/0, 11/8, 9/3M

Mejia is an interesting story. He had an unspectacular first two seasons in the DSL and GCL, but in 2012 found some success at age 20 in the GCL. After that season ended, he just happened to still be in town when Fort Myers needed him.

Now this year, instead of starting him in Cedar Rapids, he spent time in EST and then went back to play for Fort Myers when they needed him. And he has put up fantastic numbers so far while playing 9 games at 2B, 7 in LF, 4 at SS, 1 at 3B, and 1 in RF (committing just one error at SS). The .874 OPS is impressive for someone who is essentially just moving from the GCL. He is 21, so there is no need to get totally carried away, but he is impressing and is serving as an offensively strong super utility guy at the moment.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yeah it's a good story. Was he called upon at Ft. Myers when Rosario was in the dog house? I can't remember the timing.

Had he not been called to Ft. Myers, I wonder if he would have now gotten the call in Cedar Rapids with Goodrun likely out awhile with concussion issues. Either way, I like that his success in Ft. Myers contradicts the idea that youngsters need to spend a ton of time in the Midwest league to develop properly.

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Wasnt meant to succeed but he was forced to skip Eliz & Cedar Rapids and still can have success.
Terry Ryan, do you see this!!! How bout trying someone else!

#4 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Wasnt meant to succeed but he was forced to skip Eliz & Cedar Rapids and still can have success.
Terry Ryan, do you see this!!! How bout trying someone else!

Couldn't agree more.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Mejia has seen limited playing time in the past week. Now with Sano and Rosario gone, he may find a place in the infield to settle on. Still with a .781 OPS in a supposedly above his head league.

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

.353/.424/.396 (.820) in 161 plate appearances. This is pretty remarkable to see a player jump from GCL to the FSL and hit this well. I can't imagine very many Twins players ever making such a jump for this long, much less being this successful.

Mejia has only one error this year in the middle infield.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Even though Mejia has had problems in the past week, his 2013 FSL numbers are very similar to his 2012 GCL numbers. The Twins may have found something here. He should finish out the year at Fort Myers and then they can see about New Britain next year.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Mejia has been hitting well and still maintains a strong OPS of .772 for the year. He has been a pleasant surprise and will now be on all prospect lists that stretch beyond 25 players, I would think. He is someone to watch in the future.

#9 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Mejia has been hitting well and still maintains a strong OPS of .772 for the year. He has been a pleasant surprise and will now be on all prospect lists that stretch beyond 25 players, I would think. He is someone to watch in the future.

With the need for middle infielders, especially shortsotp. for sure. How is his defense?

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

It is at least pretty mistake-free right now and that includes moving around a bit before settling in at short, where he appears to be good. Would like for someone who has seen him to comment on it.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Mejia just keeps rolling along and has put up good July numbers overall. This is a great thing to see from someone who looks like an actual shortstop right now.

Sometimes it may be worth seeing what players are able to do when thrown into the fire. Mejia is demonstrating that it can work out for the best.

Season stats:

264 PA, .338/.390/.385, 9 doubles, 1 triple, 0 homers, 22 walks, 20 strikeouts, 14 stolen bases and 9 times caught stealing. Just 3 errors in 139 chances at shortstop.

#12 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

I like (correction Love) the BA but when looking merely at stats, I would hope to see a higher OBP especially with that slugging line... Love a SS that can hit 300 though

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Mejia is in a slump and has only 4 hits in his last 31 at bats. His slugging has fallen below his OBP% at the moment. Still a solid year for him and he will repeat at Fort Myers next year.

#14 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

I really think Mejia is going to be a good one. I was hoping they would move Santana to AAA and move Mejia to AA. I guess his lack of walks and or plate discipline is going to cost him. I know he is in a bit of slump but the guys can sure hit. He seems to find a way to have multi-hit games thus his high batting average. I think he is a good guy to keep an eye on.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Mejia should be coming off the 7-day DL soon. His numbers dropped before the injury. Jumping to A+ and producing a .708 OPS while playing good defense at short is quite the contribution for the year so far.

#16 E. Andrew

E. Andrew

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I didn't really know the name until I started playing around with the Infield Organization Depth Chart. This kid's really put together an impressive season... It'd be interesting to get Mientkiewicz's thoughts on him, he's had really perceptive notes on Rosario's play...

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Mejia has played so well that his name has been mentioned most days, it seems, in the minor league report. I learned that he has a bruised foot, so I don't know when he will return for certain.

#18 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Shane and Seth- Is he a legit SS? Does he have a real arm for the position? Also, does he have the speed to steal more bases?