Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Networking Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm trying to help my aunt and uncle set up a home network and am having some problems. They have their office in a detached garage a couple hundred feet outside of their home. Their wifi signal does not reach their office. I bought them a cheap wireless signal booster/repeater that works well and gets their signal out to their office. However, it sets up a different network to work on. They need to be on the same network to access their nas drive and home computer for billing.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change a setting on the booster to just repeat that signal without setting up a different network on it? Running a hard wire isn't really an option in this case.

Thanks for any help!!!

#2 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Is it possible to store their business related stuff in Dropbox or something? Or to remotely access their home computer? Dropbox is really easy to setup but I know very little about remote access on computers.

#3 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Dropbox is working perfectly for my business for me so far. One computer at home and work with a staff computer (limited access) and a separate computer in another (limited access). Latest versions of the files are updated whenever you are on the internet.

#4 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,263 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

What are the IP addresses of the home side and the garage side computers? I'm curious if they're getting IP's from the same network range.

Does that range extender provide DHCP addresses? If it does, that functionality needs to be disabled, you don't want multiple devices handing out addresses.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Late to the party, but what is the manufacturer and model number for this extender? I would have assumed it stayed on the same network/subnet but I guess I haven't used these specific products.

I have used a second router set to "repeater bridge" mode, which was ideal for extending a network.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

You will have to log into the "bridge" and specify some settings to act as a repeater. List the make and model of the router and the repeater.

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

Why not get a hot spot. You could a use a service like log me in to access devices on the other part of the home?

As Brock said, you'll need to log on to the device to adjust a few settings to make it a true repeater.

#8 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

You will have to log into the "bridge" and specify some settings to act as a repeater. List the make and model of the router and the repeater.

Tenda A5