Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Minnesota Twins' Win Gives Hope for Future

aaron hicks brian dozier minnesota twins ryan pressly young players
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

On Yahoo! Sports, I published an article on how the Twins' young players led the way in the win over the Brewers last night.

On Tuesday, May 28, it wasn't just the fact that the Twins won in extra innings that was so exciting. It was the fact that three young Twins played a big part in the victory. The real hope for the future is still in the minor leagues, but it is still good to see the possibility of young players currently in the majors starting to figure it out.

Read the rest of it at: Minnesota Twins' Win Gives Hope for Future.

I would like to hear from the Twins Daily Community about their thoughts on Hicks, Dozier and Pressly. Was this a turning point for them or just one good game among many bad ones?

#2 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

I have been very impressed with Pressly so far, and he's only getting better in May with a .89 WHIP. Too many walks, but if he can fix that, the Twins might have found another rule 5 steal.

Hicks is starting to show some life in May, as he's above the Mendoza line for the month, and has a decent .452 SLG. The issue continues to be strikeouts, especially now that he's not walking any more. The defense is good, but he'll need to continue to progress. That being said, there's reason to hope that the worst is behind him.

Dozier is flatlining, and migght only have another year or two to get things figured out. With Beresford and Santana holding their own at AA, and Rosario and Polanco right behind them, I'd say Dozier has the equivalent of one more full season to prove he belongs with the Twins, otherwise someone else will get a chance at second.

#3 SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

The way Dozier was playing, he had days or weeks to do something to stay in the majors. The Twins are saying he figured out something in his swing and then he had three hits, so we'll see. Dozier should be better than this based on his minor league numbers, but the Twins can't wait forever for him to show it.

#4 birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

It's too early to get excited about a lot of the younger guys, and too early to give up on any of them, including Plouffe and Parmelee. My concern about Hicks is his apparent difficulty in getting his bat in the way of a great fastball. He may end up being very valuable but not exceptional. To me, Doier looks like a two year placeholder. Not sure his ceiling is as high as any of Polanco, Rosario, Michael and Santana. Pressly is more evidence that the Twins have a prett decen scouting organization.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,959 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I can't figure out Dozier.....some days he's good, somedays he's not. The bad days have been too many for my taste lately....but he can play 2B for sure. Now he needs to figure out how to hit better.

Hicks I think will be good, but looks overmatched from the left side. He's been better in May, I would be ok if he was sent down, I'd be ok if he was not sent down. I'd like his defense to be more consistently good, because I thought he'd be great on defense, not good on defense.

Pressly looks like he could be a good reliever. No idea if he can be a starter sometime, but he looks like a real reliever. Nice job there.

Turning point? I don't know, it's one game in 162, it is hard to find a turning point.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#6 Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,220 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

If you are selling hope... I'm buying!

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

#7 Waverley Wildcat

Waverley Wildcat

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Comparisons between Beresford and Santana, Beresford is leading batting for infielders (4th overall) in Eastern League (333) whilst Santana now has 18 errors

#8 Carneal&Gordon

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Great article Darin, enjoyed it.
Hi Everybody...

Touch Em All Steve Lombardozzi

#9 PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

DTFC SoCalTwinsFan? If so, good for you bud.

Though, I do think you're asking a lot for us to place hope in the results of Hicks and Dozier and the role of Pressly. Though, I agree with the underlining sentiment that there's hope in the near future. I think the Twins are doing a good job of seeing what they have in some players--essentially using 2013 as both an audition for the future and as a major league crash-course. I imagine that many of the guys on the current club, as futile as the results might seem now, will play significant roles as Sano, Buxton, Rosario emerge.

#10 SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

DTFC SoCalTwinsFan?

Yep. Wow, that was a long time ago.

#11 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Yep. Wow, that was a long time ago.

Yes, it was!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron hicks, brian dozier, minnesota twins, ryan pressly, young players