Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Rosario Benched

eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

According to LEN III, Eddie has been benched this past week because of his "approach to the game". This doesn't sound too good, but right on par with the past 2 weeks. Has this happened before with such a highly rated prospect? Anyone have any more info?

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Definitely need more details about this.

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

heard Molitor talk about it a bit

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Afraid my optimism will damage me somehow

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

heard Molitor talk about it a bit

Oh, OK. And what, pray tell, did Molitor say?

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I don't need more details.

It is better for Rosario for the Twins to keep the discipline in house. He's a young guy and messed up somehow. He is benched for a few games. It happens.

#6 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Or maybe he's pissed he's still in Single A. I don't blame him.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I don't need more details.

It is better for Rosario for the Twins to keep the discipline in house. He's a young guy and messed up somehow. He is benched for a few games. It happens.

Really? You just assume the Twins are in the right and that the best punishment was to bench a top prospect?

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Really? You just assume the Twins are in the right and that the best punishment was to bench a top prospect?

I know that young guys can need discipline. I don't think it helps when the details become public. I trust Mientkiewicz to discipline the players when needed (even top prospects).

A guy is benched for a few days. It's not going to slow his development. Lack of discipline will hinder development.

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Or maybe he's pissed he's still in Single A. I don't blame him.

Come on. He's only played 39 games in Ft Myers. there is no reason for him (or you) to be pissed about not being promoted.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I know that young guys can need discipline. I don't think it helps when the details become public. I trust Mientkiewicz to discipline the players when needed (even top prospects).

A guy is benched for a few days. It's not going to slow his development. Lack of discipline will hinder development.

If there's a guy on in this system who can tell you first hand how a bad attitude can sour some things, it would be Dougie... If people remember right, he didn't take the Morneau thing very well.

#11 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

This is what is wrong with America today.

#12 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'm guessing this was "leaked" by the Twins. So much for "keeping things in-house".

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm guessing this was "leaked" by the Twins. So much for "keeping things in-house".

Statement two would be appropriate if statement one was factual, but as statement one is a guess and not a fact, statement two doesn't hold.

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

According to LEN III, Eddie has been benched this past week because of his "approach to the game". This doesn't sound too good, but right on par with the past 2 weeks. Has this happened before with such a highly rated prospect? Anyone have any more info?

I'm sure it happens a lot. The Rockies demoted one of thier top prospects to EST for missing a team flight (although rumors suggested other issues as well). A few games on the bench isn't anything to get too upset over.

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Oh, OK. And what, pray tell, did Molitor say?

had to leave quick, basically said Rosario wasnt paying full attention to baseball. In blowout games he was giving up ABs & lackadasical in the field. Told him he needs to have the same attention in blowout games than close games. This is an attention getter to him I suppose.

#16 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

had to leave quick, basically said Rosario wasnt paying full attention to baseball. In blowout games he was giving up ABs & lackadasical in the field. Told him he needs to have the same attention in blowout games than close games. This is an attention getter to him I suppose.

If that is the sum total of Rosario's transgressions, I am pleased as that is the most benign of the scenarios that I crossed my mind when this thread started. I am glad the benching was not related to off-field issues or insubordination/churlishness. Unless Rosario is completely clueless (a la Hanley Ramirez), he will recognize and acknowledge his lack of effort and come back playing harder.

Addendum: All of the above assumes Rosario was actually giving up at bats and playing lackadaisically as reported by GreenGoblin. I know a small segment of the posters are not willing to rule out that the Twins are simply making up reasons to antagonize one of their best prospects by benching him. To antagonize is sometimes its own reward, I guess??

Edited by Dance with Disco Dan, 25 May 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

That's not bad, then. Thanks for providing some DETAILS. As those, you know, were actually needed for this story.

#18 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

He is playing today.

#19 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Heard the same Molitor interview on 1500 a week or two ago. When the Miracle were put in a first inning hole, he basically checked out offensively and defensively. Had some miscues. The benching makes me think that his game has been slipping more with the recent "slide" by the team. I hope Molitor is asked about it this week. His stuff is gold. When asked if Buxton is a 30-30 guy he quickly answered, "yes" deadpan. Expected him to be more reserved or hedge a little.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Heard the same Molitor interview on 1500 a week or two ago. When the Miracle were put in a first inning hole, he basically checked out offensively and defensively. Had some miscues. The benching makes me think that his game has been slipping more with the recent "slide" by the team. I hope Molitor is asked about it this week. His stuff is gold. When asked if Buxton is a 30-30 guy he quickly answered, "yes" deadpan. Expected him to be more reserved or hedge a little.

Agree about Molitor. Actually, I hope Paul and a Latin retired vet of HOFer in the Twins employ can get down to Ft Myers pronto and get in Roasario's head and redirect him on the path to fully realizing his ceiling level of potential.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario