Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Dozier

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Now has a worse OPS then the struggling Aaron Hicks, at what point do we try to send him back down?

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just leave him up, and see if he can play this whole year or not. EVERY young guy that has MLB experience should be up unless there is an obvious replacement. I think we are learning this is who Dozier is......which is fine, if they are willing to bring Rosario up next year, I guess.

btw, there is an obvious replacment for Worley, so I had no issue with him moving down.....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

With Florimon day-to-day (I think) and Plouffe out, it would be hard to move him without other options on the 40-man (besides Santana, who isn't close).

Otherwise, yeah, "Dozier optioned to Rochester" makes a ton of sense.

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Would anybody rather see Jamey Carroll playing instead of Dozier? I've found Carroll a lot more exciting to watch lately than Dozier and Carroll seems to do everything the right way. He doesn't have much power, but he always gives you a good at bat.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yes, Carroll is more fun to watch............but this year is over, and Carroll is closer to my age than to Gibson's age......leave Dozier in, and see if he can swim or not. This is the year (well, last year was, but whatever) to gather information on their players that might or might not be part of the future.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

For me, 2013 is all about doing what is best for the prospects long-term. Because of his youth and having not played at AAA, I would have sent Hicks down to let him work on things. I'd send Arcia down for a little while with scouting reports catching up to him. With Dozier (and Parmelee and Plouffe), I really think they just have to let them figure it out up here as long as they can. If they let Hicks struggle as horribly as he did for as long as he did, they should do the same for Dozier.

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

For me, 2013 is all about doing what is best for the prospects long-term. Because of his youth and having not played at AAA, I would have sent Hicks down to let him work on things. I'd send Arcia down for a little while with scouting reports catching up to him. With Dozier (and Parmelee and Plouffe), I really think they just have to let them figure it out up here as long as they can. If they let Hicks struggle as horribly as he did for as long as he did, they should do the same for Dozier.

My sentiments exactly. We can also include Florimon as someone to stick with longer so that a final determination can be made.

#8 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

The only reasonable argument for playing Carroll is highlighting him for trade bait.

#9 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

The only reasonable argument for playing Carroll is highlighting him for trade bait.

It might be the only reasonable argument, but it is VERY reasonable.

Do you think we could pick up another AAAA pitch-to-contact non-prospect for him (or do we have them all already)?

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

He will be traded. With his play recently he might even net an upside c level prospect arm.

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I agree that a main goal of this season is now finding out about Plouffe, Parmelee and Dozier and whether they can be part of the plan going forward. AAA would do nothing to help figure this out.

#12 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I agree that a main goal of this season is now finding out about Plouffe, Parmelee and Dozier and whether they can be part of the plan going forward. AAA would do nothing to help figure this out.

The thing is how long it takes to make a decision on them. They have already play during much of two seasons.

#13 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

I hadn't realized how bad Dozier's numbers have gotten. Holy cow.

#14 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

I hadn't realized how bad Dozier's numbers have gotten. Holy cow.

Me neither. That's bad.

That said though, I agree with the above sentiments. He can't really be sent to AAA if you want a realistic assessment of who he is long-term. I'd include Parmelee, Plouffe, and Florimon there too. Let's just hope that at least one or two of them is worth keeping around.

#15 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

The thing is how long it takes to make a decision on them. They have already play during much of two seasons.

The rest of the season and then reevaluate.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

The rest of the season and then reevaluate.

I just hope Dozier doesn't end up like Alexi Casilla. "This is the year for him to start!" Re-Evaluate. "OK now this is the year!" Fails again. "It's his time to shine!" And finally he got the axe last season. Seriously... just see what he's got, and when he finally proves he's not gonna be good, say adios.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

I guess I fall into the Dozier fan camp and I can't see it going through to the end of the season. Another month or two should be enough to see if Dozier can ever hold down a regular position.

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Of the four guys non-rookies, I've been satisfied with Florimon and while Plouffe hasn't lit it up, he has been an average 3B. Parmelee has disappointed as has Dozier. I'm not ready to give up on either, but it is more likely that a year from now they are memories than starters for this team.

#19 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

I just hope Dozier doesn't end up like Alexi Casilla. "This is the year for him to start!" Re-Evaluate. "OK now this is the year!" Fails again. "It's his time to shine!" And finally he got the axe last season. Seriously... just see what he's got, and when he finally proves he's not gonna be good, say adios.

Dozier isn't even worthy of holding Casilla's jockstrap considering his numbers so far this year, and I'm no Casilla fan. With that said, I do agree that there is nothing left to evaluate concerning him at the AAA level. Question is, how long is this rope? He's at around 500 major league at bats and they haven't been pretty.

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Who is the last Twins position prospect to come up and play 2 plus years of solid baseball at the "major league level? Do we have to go back to Span?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra