Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Examining Oswaldo Arcia's recent struggles

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ecent-struggles

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 SoCalTwinsfan

SoCalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Don’t swing so much, don’t expand the zone and let the game come to him.

Suddenly, Arcia's aggressive approach isn't such a great thing.

#3 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Ancient Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

This is why it is so uncommon to succeed in MLB without some time in AAA. The pitchers in AAA adjust faster and are just plain better than they are in AA.
Then it is yet another step to MLB.

Tough game. The best.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to go down to the minors again and work on somethings...and play regularly, too. Think it is time to send Hicks out for the same reason. If they work on things in the minors, then they re listening and become much more valuable. The biggest adjustment is that there is so much more info poured over every player in the majors. What I'm getting a bit disappointed about is that the Twins are bringing up too many placeholders. Maybe they should be rotating in some guys like May and Hermsen and Sano and Santana just to give them a bit of major league touch...make then even more hungry.

#5 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

A move needs to be made in one form or another. Either the Twins need to play Arcia consistently so he can make adjustments and apply them in game, or they need to send him down so he can do that at the AAA level. Very few players learn on the bench.

If Arcia is unwilling to change his approach, send him down.

If Arcia is willing, but you don't have a place to consistently play him, send him down.

If Arcia is willing, and you are willing to play him so he can refine his approach that the major league level, then for God's sake, play him.

Anyway you cut it, the Twins need to make a decision and move forward rather than this treading water which is accomplishing nothing.

#6 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Did somebody say it was?

#7 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Parker your analysis is just awesome. Thanks!

#8 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Did somebody say it was?

Plenty of times, TV broadcasters onFSN

#9 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

And he still has the third highest OPS on the team. This front office is a joke.

#10 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

This is why it is so uncommon to succeed in MLB without some time in AAA. The pitchers in AAA adjust faster and are just plain better than they are in AA.
Then it is yet another step to MLB.

Tough game. The best.

I disagree. Arcia's problems aren't that he skipped AAA but rather that he just turned 22 and he only played a half season at AA.

This is one of the concerns that I had about Arcia but his raw hitting skills are immense. I think he will be fine and be a fixture in the middle of the order in a year or two. Hicks I'm not as never was as sure about.

#11 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

AAA experience doesn't prepare a guy for the majors. Twins fans get very excited about the minor leaguers that show promise, but forget that most of them don't succeed at the ML level for long.

#12 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Pretty sure I just heard Arcia is going to AAA. I wonder if this is to make room for Walters?

#13 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

Pretty sure I just heard Arcia is going to AAA. I wonder if this is to make room for Walters?

official

#14 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

recent struggles yes, but second on the team in slugging. Getting him down for 5 days to get the 7th year of team control is fine, but he should be back sooner than later. In reality, he is bein blocked by Morneau.

#15 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Actually he is being blocked by Parmelee. That should end in the next couple of months if Parmelee does not figure things out and start hitting. That will also make the decision on Morneau easy, extend him if the price is right.