Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Who gets DFAed?

60-day dl vance worley walters
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

With the announcement that future All-Star PJ Walters will be taking over Vanimal's spot in the rotation, the Twins will have to cut one player from the 40-man roster. Technically, it is two, but one is almost certain to be transferring Wood to the 60-day Disabled List. Let's see who picks the proper suspect . I'll reply to myself because I think I have the right answer.

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think the answer to the DFA question is Hermsen. He is only in AA and is struggling. I don't think the Twins can consider DFAing Butera because he is on the Red Wing disabled list.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hermsen would clearly be the right decision. Good call. Hermsen is terrible, by the way. That ship has sailed, unfortunately. He will not even make my next top 50 prospect list.

#4 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

I agree on Hermsen.

You can't really DFA Butera even if he was healthy because of how much Herrmann is struggling in AAA. There needs to be a backup catcher in case Mauer or Doumit get hurt. Pinto isn't ready for that yet.

#5 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

Do not DFA a catcher

#6 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Benson
He is out of options soon I think.

#7 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Duensing. Thats how sick i am of him.

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Benson? There is no way that dude doesn't get claimed. It has to be Butera or Hermsen. I bet Mastro gets put on the 60-day. With the amount of OF depth, and since he has been out almost a month, it makes too much sense.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Wilkin Ramirez.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Benson? There is no way that dude doesn't get claimed. It has to be Butera or Hermsen. I bet Mastro gets put on the 60-day. With the amount of OF depth, and since he has been out almost a month, it makes too much sense.

Masto already is on the 60-day, Wood is almost certain to follow. Promoting Walters means a third player needs to be taken off the 40-man, plus someone needs to be taken off the 25-man roster.

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Wilkin Ramirez.

I read somewhere that one of the Twins' corner outfield gazelles (Parmelee) was taking fly balls in center field during BP. Wilkin's demotion would relieve the glut of corner OF and solve the 40-man issue as well, I believe. However, two questions arise. Who translates for Escobar, Florimon, and Arcia? Who is the backup CF? Since this is becoming a joke of a season, I guess putting Parm in for a few innings or an emergency start is more more of an embarrassment than starting Pelfrey, Vanimal, Hernandez, Walters, and Deduno and leaving Gibson in triple A.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,470 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Pick a mediocre SP in AAA or AA, and DFA him. We have 10 of those already. Or Herrmann I guess. Or Butera is fine with me.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Benson
He is out of options soon I think.

Benson is on his last option. I think you have to stick with him this summer and then next year is make or break purely on merit. If he's good enough to be in the big leagues, he's there, if not, DFA. The Twins have so few guys with both power and speed that it would be a pity to give up on Joe prematurely, especially coming off of a hamate bone injury. But some guys are Drew Stubbs and some are Michael Restovich.

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,244 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Pick a mediocre SP in AAA or AA, and DFA him. We have 10 of those already. Or Herrmann I guess. Or Butera is fine with me.

I don't think you can DFA a guy on the disabled list. Son of Sal is rehabbing now and close to being ready to play.

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,470 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Ah, sorry about that Stringer.

I say take a 4 sided die, and roll:

1=Pelfry
2=Hermsen
3=DeVries
4=Herrmann

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 8,344 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

I don't think you can DFA a guy on the disabled list. Son of Sal is rehabbing now and close to being ready to play.

Does it matter that it's the AAA DL and the not the MLB disabled list? I heard that's why he can't go to the 60-day DL -- maybe it affects his DFA status too?

#17 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

As much as I love a Minnesota kid, I have to hope it's De Vries or else Hermsen. An occasional lefty can make minimal velocity work, but the odds are just that much lower for righties.

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,470 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

DeVries=Hermsen=Albers=Deduno=Walters=Worley=Hendriks

Just pick one. I'd pick the ones that are oldest, or have had no success in the majors yet. Does it really matter between all those? I'm not sure it does.

but, Worley has been successful in the majors, so it isn't him.
the rest? the rest are replacement level pitchers, imo.

#19 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Do not DFA a catcher

What he said

#20 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Masto already is on the 60-day, Wood is almost certain to follow. Promoting Walters means a third player needs to be taken off the 40-man, plus someone needs to be taken off the 25-man roster.

Damn. Hermsen/De Vries or Butera.
Do or do not. There is no try.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 60-day dl, vance worley, walters