Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Walters

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Getting the call for Monday per Jim Mandelaro. Gibson will have to wait.
Papers...business papers.

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'm a little surprised by the move. Adding two guys to the rotation that are out of options... though both guys cleared waivers after last season anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter. See what sticks...

#3 Anorthagen

Anorthagen

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Reasons behind the desicion over Gibson were locigal, but not what I wanted to hear.

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I wish Walters the best, but there really can't be any doubt about what the Twins are doing with Gibson at this point, can there?

#5 rikker49

rikker49

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

If not now, when??? Maybe if Pelfrey is released??? Gibson might be at his innings limit by then. Hopefully he would be called up before DeVries or Albers, but who knows. Maybe Blackburn lol

#6 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Whatever. Deduno and Walters wont be in the rotation for long. I don't see how they can allow Hicks to struggle up here for this long while keeping Gibson down for financial reasons.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#7 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

90+ losses & firing of Gardy are on the horizons if this is true!!!!

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

which player is DFAd to make room? Benson/Hendriks/Hermsen/Drew???

#9 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Gibson's agent should demand a trade.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

This intentional avoidance of a call up has happened many times but usually for the purpose of retaining an extra year of service. I don't know that there has ever been this blatent of a case of a team preventing a player from gaining Super 2 status.

Gibson is not a Major League player so I don't believe he is included in the playrs union as of yet. If he were, there certainly would be grounds to file a grevience. I don't think there has been a team in such dire need of a starting pitcher that continues to reject the most obvious and rational candidate to this extreme.

This is disguting and I hope Gibson doesn't hold it against the organization seeing as it boils down to his employer bending the rules and going out of it's way to withhold money from him.

#11 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Has anybody thought that it might be as simple as Gibson being scheduled to start on Friday and that having him start on Monday might not be ideal. Obviously they aren't going to have him start if he pitches tomorrow. If they were to skip him tomorrow it could mess up his routine, which they probably don't want to do since he is coming off surgery. Call me naive, but sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

#12 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Has anybody thought that it might be as simple as Gibson being scheduled to start on Friday and that having him start on Monday might not be ideal. Obviously they aren't going to have him start if he pitches tomorrow. If they were to skip him tomorrow it could mess up his routine, which they probably don't want to do since he is coming off surgery. Call me naive, but sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

There's a simple answer here, all right, but yours isn't it.

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Has anybody thought that it might be as simple as Gibson being scheduled to start on Friday and that having him start on Monday might not be ideal. Obviously they aren't going to have him start if he pitches tomorrow.

He needs to start for Rochester on Friday? Why couldn't he just not start on Friday at Rochester and start for the Twins instead? That's when Deduno is scheduled so a promotion actually would have lined up perfectly with Gibson's current schedule. Or he could have not pitched for Rochester Friday and pitched for the Twins Saturday if they wanted to give him an extra days rest.

Sorry, but this non-move reeks and I hope Terry Ryan has to answer some very uncomfortable questions from the local media.

#14 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Wonder how many good starts Vance Worley needs before he can get a re-call??
WHEN Deduno/Walters get DFA'd (June or offseason), will they will get claimed this time? We will have 2 starting P's & a SS that 31 other teams said no thanks to.
How many bad starts will it take till MN says goodbye to the terrible twosome??

#15 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Reasons behind the decision over Gibson were logical, but not what I wanted to hear.

Sure its logical. But it doesn't make it the right call. At this point the season is going down the tubes.

Not calling up Gibson shows that the FO indeed has written off the season.

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

This intentional avoidance of a call up has happened many times but usually for the purpose of retaining an extra year of service. I don't know that there has ever been this blatent of a case of a team preventing a player from gaining Super 2 status.

Gibson is not a Major League player so I don't believe he is included in the playrs union as of yet. If he were, there certainly would be grounds to file a grevience. I don't think there has been a team in such dire need of a starting pitcher that continues to reject the most obvious and rational candidate to this extreme.

This is disguting and I hope Gibson doesn't hold it against the organization seeing as it boils down to his employer bending the rules and going out of it's way to withhold money from him.

While I agree with you that Gibson should be recalled, I am not sure that it is so clear cut that he is the superior option at this point to Walters and Deduno, particularly Walters. Their statistics are almost the same and Walters has been more consistent. Obviously, Gibson has more stuff and upside, but perhaps a bit more AAA time could be beneficial for Gibson. If the real reason for the delay is avoiding Super2 status for Gibson, the Twins are cheap and foolish.

#17 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

There's a simple answer here, all right, but yours isn't it.

Even if yours is the right one, we will never know. Unless of course you can read Terry Ryan's mind.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

I wish Walters the best, but there really can't be any doubt about what the Twins are doing with Gibson at this point, can there?

Not to do any self-back-patting here, but this was an all-too-predictable move, right out of their worn and tattered playbook.

Meanwhile, other organizations have their prized players pitching as soon as possible, Bundy and Gausman in the case of the Orioles, we know all about the Nationals and Rays, even Porcello in the case of the Tigers (5 year veteran at age 24- yes Gibson had TJ, but he appears to be far beyond that surgery- Gibson at 25 is actually 14 months OLDER than Porcello- both drafted late in the First Round of their respective drafts, 2 years apart).

Edited by jokin, 23 May 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

I would prefer Gibson being limited to a small amount of innings over the next month in Rochester than calling him up right now. Walters makes sense. Keep in mind that Gibson is going to be limited to 100 innings max for the rest of the season.

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Not to do any self-back-patting here, but this was an all-too-predictable move, right out of their worn and tattered playbook.

Meanwhile, other organizations have their prized players pitching as soon as possible, Bundy and Gausman in the case of the Orioles, we know all about the Nationals and Rays, even Porcello in the case of the Tigers (5 year veteran at age 24- yes Gibson had TJ, but he appears to be far beyond that surgery- Gibson at 25 is actually 14 months OLDER than Porcello- both drafted late in the First Round of their respective drafts, 2 years apart).

Again I'm not sure Porcello is a good example to prove your point. And Gausman and Bundy have always been more highly regarded so the comparison isn't great.

That aside, this is disgusting. I didn't have high expectations for the season but doing something to potentially save a couple mil down the line is beyond words.