WARNING! Just in case you didn't know I'm not a professional scout and the Twins front office doesn't care what I have to say! I built this list from things I have read, videos I have seen, the few players I have seen live, and my gut.....which thanks to beer is a lot larger than it should be.
I started making draft boards when the mlbnetwork started to air the draft, 3 years ago, and have found it makes the draft a lot more interesting. Like betting, but with out losing large amounts of money. By draft day I will have about 50 players ranked but for the forums sake I will only post my top 10.
When I set up my board I not only go from 1-50 I also separate players into tiers. While the number next to their name shows where I rank them, in reality I could argue any player in that specific tier could be flipped around. While I specifically follow the Twins this board is ranked in talent, not need. I don't rank pitcher higher just because the Twins need them.
With out further a do, here is my board. Feel free to tell me how dumb I am. Also, don't be scuurrred to post your own board.Tier 11) Jon Gray
- Yes, I have Gray ahead of Appel. While Appel has a better third pitch and command, give me the guy with better "stuff". 80 grade fastballs don't grow on trees and I feel his slider is a grade above Appel's too.2) Mark Appel
- Long track record, above average command, and 3 pitches that range from 60-70 grade. Boras as his advisor doesn't bug me as much as the fact he has a ton of mileage on his arm already. Both him/Gray profile as aces.Tier 23)Kris Bryant-
Leads all of college baseball in walks and more importantly HRs (by 6). While I put it around 40% that he could stick at 3B, at best, it wont matter because his bat will play any where. The only questions in my mind is if he will make enough contact to harness his 70 grade power.4) Kohl Stewart
- Is super athletic and already has two plus pitches in a 92-96 fastball with a hard breaking slider. Has a chance to have 4 above average pitches. He has a strong commitment to A&M but if he is selected high enough I don't think he will pass on baseball. The bigger issue are the injuries.5) Clint Frazier
- What can I say? I love bat speed! Quoting Law, "fastest bat speed in the draft-- possibly best I have seen from an amateur ever." While he will be stuck to a corner OF, he should be a plus defender in right, but like Bryant has a bat that can play anywhere. Biggest question is if he can make adjustments to big league pitching. Lots of swing and miss potential.6) Meadows
- Super athletic, has a chance to have plus power, 8 months younger than Frazier, and has a chance to stick at center. While he has a higher ceiling than Frazier my gut tells me Frazier is going to be a better big leaguer. Questions have come up about Meadows effort and commitment which scare me a little.Tier 37) Moran
- Has a 4-1 BB/K ratio which isn't only insane but typically is a good indicator for future success. Has answered some questions about his power this year but there is a fear if he is moved from third to first he might become the next James Lonely. If you truly believe he can stick at 3B I could see an argument for having him higher. 8) Manaea
- Big time lefty who even though his fastball was a tick down from the Cape Cod league was still a 60 grade pitch. While his change up has improved his slider, which was flashing a 70 grade, has been so inconsistent I don't know what to make of it. Also has injury concerns.9) Shipley
- Reminds me a lot of Zimmer from last year. Super athletic, converted SS, and has a 60 grade fastball/65 grade secondary pitch/average third offering that flashes plus. Difference is Zimmer had a 65 grade curve ball while 65 grade change up. Quoting Law again, "you can be taught a great change up, you are born with a great breaking ball." 10) Stanek-
Came into the year as a top 5 talent but has slid due to inconsistency. Still has filthy stuff but just cant harness it. Due to his violent delivery some scouts see him as a reliever but if someone can fix his inconsistency issue they might have a steal. Has 3 pitches that could be plus.
Edited by cmb0252, 09 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.