Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Butera, Waldrop, Holliman Out, Burroughs Likely In for Opening Day Roster Spot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ay-Roster-Chase

#2 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Going with two catchers...... so who does that leave? 16 non-pitchers .... 3 more to go Towles is one... so then its Dinkelman, Burroughs, Dozier Parmelee left for the last 2 spots I think Parmelee is in and Dinkelman is out so it is between Dozier and Burroughs like people have been saying

#3 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Happy days are here again - no Butera!

#4 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have a feeling Gardy got trumped on this one. There is no way he would want one of his "Good Ole Boys" going to the minors.

#5 LRGAMBLE

LRGAMBLE

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I think Parmalee is pretty much a lock. That's what the Buters cut signifies to me anyway. So from there I'd personally like to see Burroughs get a shot, being able to break Danny over at 3b once a week. Not sure how his fielding in the outfield has been. Anybody know?

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

The bench... Revere - pinch run, outfield defense Plouffe - platoon against lefty, pinch hit against lefty, versatile Hughes - platoon against lefty, pinch hit against lefty, better defense at 2B than Plouffe Burroughs - left handed pinch hitter, plays 3B Dinkelman - left handed hitter, versatile Towles - third catcher Plouffe and Hughes are somewhat redundant, although defense at 2B is in Hughes favor and a strong consideration given Casilla's health. To me the most versatile bench include Towles, Revere, Plouffe or Hughes, Burroughs or Dinkelman. No reason to think Dinkelman will hit based on track record. Plouffe and Hughes are out of options so they both probably stick. The choice then comes down to Burroughs or Towles.

#7 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Not sure the Twins are going the 3-catcher route. With Morneau DH-ing, Doumit will be the backup C and Parmelee makes the team, not Towles.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have a feeling Gardy got trumped on this one. There is no way he would want one of his "Good Ole Boys" going to the minors.

I really doubt that.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think Parmalee is pretty much a lock. That's what the Buters cut signifies to me anyway. So from there I'd personally like to see Burroughs get a shot, being able to break Danny over at 3b once a week. Not sure how his fielding in the outfield has been. Anybody know?

Parmelee has been a lock for a week.

Burroughs hasn't played any outfield and he won't have to.

#10 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

Good for Burroughs. Great story, etc. Hopefully he can be productive off the bench.

#11 JDW

JDW

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

I've never seen evidence that Butera is on of his boys. Still unsure about Burroughs but it's a good story.

#12 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

As much as has been written about what a waste it is to carry a 3rd catcher, what about a left-handed pinch hitter who is limited positionally and doesn't have much pop? I'm trying to figure out where he bats. I guess for Casilla? Is there anyone else he hits for in this lineup? Carroll, maybe?

#13 kirbyelway

kirbyelway

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I was right on 2 catchers, glad to see Burroughs get a shot. I hope Parmalee's bat stays in the line-up and Doumit is used mainly as just the backup catcher.

#14 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I think Parmelee is the lock and It has been said several times that Dozier will start the season at Rochester. That leaves one spot left on the roster for Burroughs and Dinkleman. I don't have a feeling one way or the other for either one of them. I think Dinkleman has put up the better numbers this spring and is a little more veristle in the field. I don't think either one will have much of an impact. I was actually keeping my eye on Holliman. We will know fairly soon.

#15 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

As much as has been written about what a waste it is to carry a 3rd catcher, what about a left-handed pinch hitter who is limited positionally and doesn't have much pop? I'm trying to figure out where he bats. I guess for Casilla? Is there anyone else he hits for in this lineup? Carroll, maybe?

What other options do we really have? Other than Dozier, who needs time at AAA.

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think he's there more to push/spot Valencia at third than to pinch hit.

#17 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

It is interesting to think about how Morneau DHing opens up the roster. That single move allows the team to carry the two catchers, promote a solid major league ready player (Parmalee), and clarify Mauer's role as a catcher and backup first baseman. I like Burroughs as a left handed option off the bench - much better than past options (Tolbert).

#18 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

As much as I would like to say goodbye to Mr. Butera, my guess is that he will be back with the Twins by May 15th.

#19 Jack Torse

Jack Torse

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I've never seen evidence that Butera is on of his boys. Still unsure about Burroughs but it's a good story.

Other than he's one of the worst hitters anyone has ever seen in the major leagues.

#20 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

This schtick is SO old.

#21 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

I agree that Dinkleman has outperformed Burroughs

#22 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I was hoping the Twins would take Butera off the 40-man roster, but I'm glad they met me halfway.

#23 JDW

JDW

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Other than he's one of the worst hitters anyone has ever seen in the major leagues.

What part of this has anything to do with what I said.

#24 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

He pinch hits for Valencia when matchups late in a game work that way - which they often will since many closers and setup guys are righties.

#25 bdodge22

bdodge22

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Can someone please explain to me why it is that anytime a player doesn't perform (or gets injured and doesn't heal fast enough), its Gardys fault? and anytime the team does something well, Gardy never gets any credit? Gardy didn't like the fact that Butera couldn't hit, he focused on the things that he did well because he was trying to make the best of a bad situation. The twins didn't have a better option at the time. That being said, after this spring training, I'm incredibly excited for this team! Can't wait for opening day!